1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion: Hyperion no solder Tutorial

Discussion in 'Hyperion General' started by Brindosch, 21 May 2016.

1. droopie

droopie New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3
    this project has defeated me. i give up. i am able to kinda see a randbow when i reboot the pi but not like in the picture. once it boots up, the leds are not being able to control via the app or the software yet i have the pins connected correctly and am using the pre-soldered cables that came with the led strip so i have not touch that. i have tried with openelec latest version on a pi3 and also on a pi1 model b using raspbian.

2. droopie

droopie New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3
    just a quick note. i was able to fix my issue by making sure that, even if your not powering your pi with the 10a power adapter, you STILL need to ground your pi to the power supply. if you dont ground it, you get random colors and flickering leds.

my setup is the same as this tutorial but i threw in a usb grabber, hd to analog converter, and hdmi switch with any amount of inputs that you need as long as it has at least 2 output hdmi. for output its 1 to the tv and another for the pi hd to analog converter. i also went ahead and put a fuse between the power and the pi&led strip to power it all from 1. also, just went ahead and added a on/off button to just turn everything off after doing a shutdown command via a shortcut on my phone to the pi.

with the additions above, i tried rasbian lite on a pi1 model b and use the hypercon to install the hyperion. everything works great!

3. DoodleBob

DoodleBob New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Hello all,

I was able to take care of my power supply issue and got my lights to work! Everything works perfectly with OSMC but I want to continue this project to include all of my HDMI video sources. I know it says that the HDMI instructable here is under construction so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've seen other people do it online but they are all very confusing. The instructions here were simple and concise for a novice like me. Thanks in advance!

Bob

4. droopie

droopie New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3
    Yes it works great with every HDMI connected. If you check my post before this I briefly mentioned it. I am using a pi1 model b as a standalone Hyperion. If you send me a a pm I can link you all the hardware I used.

5. Noob

Noob New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Greetings, thnaks for the great tutorial I bought all the parts with some changes.

I choose 60Leds/m, and PS is 5V, 15A.. Good?

I follow the same instruction exactly, but somehow I can't get it to work, the Hyperion installation and configuration part is the one I'm stuck with, I don't know what is the problem exactly, I connect with ssh and install the Hyperion and sent the config all without any error but the led wont respond. My configuration I think is right, and I think the problem is with the Pi or power supply.

leds acting strangely, one is ON, and the other OFF and so on....
    and some times all ON static, or half of them ON and the rest is OFF

so what do you think? I hope someone help me

Thanks ~

6. Noob

Noob New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
  7. TPmodding

TPmodding Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +Arduino
    could you open a new thread please for better support, thanks

8. Rick

Rick New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2
    Hi all,

I connected the leds on my TV, installed OSMC and configured Hyperion. I can indeed control all the leds and it works great :)
    Now im wondering, when i play a movie on OMSC (have to configur Kodi first) will it automatically work the ambilight?

In other tutorials it shows that you have to place a file in the .config folder while i dont even have that folder in my Pi :|

If it works with a movie on Kodi then its a small step for me to get it working through my xbox with the video grabber, splitter, etc..

9. matchmee

matchmee New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Hey guys, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question covered somewhere else, but I have spent a good 5 hours looking for it online and in these forums and haven't found it yet.

I had a previous setup pretty much exactly like this for my old Plasma 60":
    https://christianmoser.me/how-to-ambilight-for-every-hdmi-source/

Now I have upgraded to an LG OLED and I have to reconstruct. I want to follow this tutorial but if I have done my math right using the apa102-c's I will need to power about 274 LEDs.

Question: Can I follow this tutorial and simply add a higher transformer to handle the load? OR Do I need to follow something like how this guy did his (supplying power to all sides):

https://hyperion-project.org/threads/lg-oled-hyperion-mediaportal.927/

Thanks very much.

10. TPmodding

Hardware:
    recommended is to supply power to all sides/corners

11. Tibor Makai

Tibor Makai New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Hi everybody. Newby here.
    First time RPI/Linux/Kodi user here.
    I'm gathering all the hardware and software, needed for the project.
    I simple question, that I have for now. I need only OMSC loaded on the SD Card, or do I need Kodi first?
    Any help, would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tibor

12. TPmodding

Hardware:
    osmc is a media center system too :p

13. Tibor Makai

Tibor Makai New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    So, you are saying that I don't need Kodi installed. It is enough to install only OSMC, right?

Thank you,

Tibor

14. TPmodding

Hardware:
    yep, thats all

15. Tibor Makai

Tibor Makai New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Danke.