Docker setup

• Hi,
    I discovered Hyperion had a Docker image, so I’ve been trying to put together the right components to run this.

I have an old 2010 Mac mini that I installed Ubuntu Server 20.04 on and that is now my docker machine. This limits me to USB 2.0, but from what I’ve seen, that should be fine, correct?

I also have an Onkyo AV Receiver TX-NR656. What I am planning is to have everything running into this receiver, and as it has 2 outputs, I’ll run one to the TV and the second I’ll run to the HDMI capture card that will be plugged into the Docker server. It supports HDCP 2.2 and 4K@60Hz.

This is the setup I’m thinking of currently (the first three pieces I already own):
    2010 Mac mini which has been repurposed with Ubuntu Linux and is now my Docker server
    Onkyo AV Receiver TX-NR656
    (overkill, I know. But I already have it)

I am still deciding on the controller. I know WLED is an option, but I like to keep everything off of my WiFi except for phones, tablets, and laptops. Everything else is wired Ethernet, and for this, I’d prefer to use a USB connection to the controller which I assume would be an Arduino.

Edit:
    I’m also looking at the IOT4WLED as it looks ready made and all I need to do is plug it in. I do prefer keeping things off WiFi is possible, but this looks too convenient. So I will make an exception if this will work.

Would this work? And what would you suggest on the controller?

Thanks!

• Thanks! There are a few people living here and the WiFi could get saturated before I started putting as many things on Ethernet as I could. Plus, I’m going to be running a full 5m strip of 300 LED’s, so figured it would be best to keep that traffic off the WiFi. I wouldn’t even think anything about it if it was going over Ethernet

• I'd say so, that's the baud rate I use for flashing my Amicas.

Keep in mind that the USB-to-serial part is outside of the ESP8266, so different implementations (D1 Mini, Amica V2, etc) use different converters (CH340, C2101,...) so you may need to check the specs.

Thanks.
    I use a genuine D1 mini and its converter is CH340G.
    A quick googling shows this :
    CHG340 supports common baud rates: 50, 75, 100, 110, 134.5, 150, 300, 600, 900, 1200, 1800, 2400, 3600, 4800, 9600, 14400, 19200, 28800, 33600, 38400, 56000, 57600, 76800, 115200, 128000, 153600, 230400, 460800, 921600, 1500000, 2000000 baud.

I might try at 460800, because sometimes my wifi gets saturated and then leds show an annoying delay for some minutes.

• I'm using WLED over WiFi with 5M WS2812B strip (130leds) without problems, but if you want to avoid networking you can control WLED via serial over USB.

I forgot to mention. It’s not that I want to avoid networking, it’s just WiFi I want to avoid mainly because of everything that’s on it. If I could do it by Ethernet, that would be great as Ethernet doesn’t have the limitations WiFi has, and the switches can easily handle everything without affecting anything else. Anything like that?

• My setup is quite similar (2012 Mac Mini, dockerized Hyperion NG in a Photon OS VM on ESXi) minus the fact that my capture hardware is a USB camera instead of a grabber.

I'm using WLED over WiFi with 5M WS2812B strip (130leds) without problems, but if you want to avoid networking you can control WLED via serial over USB.

Can you explain more details of your settup. I want to do something like this, but dockerized in RancherOS VM on TrueNAS. I wonder how to install Hyperion with docker?

• Can you explain more details of your settup. I want to do something like this, but dockerized in RancherOS VM on TrueNAS. I wonder how to install Hyperion with docker?

That's nothing special, really. This is the image you can use, it runs out of the box.

Things to remember:

• consider adding a macvlan network to assign a static ip to hyperion, instead of doing a port forwarding on hte docker host
    • you may encounter problems, depending on your hypervisor, to passthrough hardware devices

In my case I had to virtualize hyperiong when using a USB camera grabberm because PhotonOS is lacking video4linux support.

• I'd say the traffic is negligible, even for 300leds. I understand your point tho, as much as I'm asking myself why not trying it since the server and wled controller are adiacent :)

I don't know if you've tried, but I have.
    Setting anything else than 115200 is not possible for the speed (leds shut off with anything else), and with this setting I have a small delay which is not acceptable for me...
    So finally I'm back to my old good Arduino, with a speed of 500000 set in the sketch, very reactive, no delay at all.

• I don't know if you've tried, but I have.
    Setting anything else than 115200 is not possible for the speed (leds shut off with anything else), and with this setting I have a small delay which is not acceptable for me...
    So finally I'm back to my old good Arduino, with a speed of 500000 set in the sketch, very reactive, no delay at all.

Is your setup still wireless or is the Arduino wired? And if it is wired, what is your setup?
    I’m trying to research what I can before I even think of trying this, and I know any delay at all would drive me up the wall, and with multiple people in the house, WiFi can get saturated at times.

• Arduino is wired to the Pi on USB.
    It is the best "no delay" solution for me.

I may go this route then. I’d have preferred using my Linux Docker machine instead of using a Pi since I already have it. I just haven’t yet seen anything about being able to wire an Arduino using USB to the Docker server. I won’t be able to tolerate any delay with this, so I may just go ahead and get the Pi.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!