Grabber Image Quality Issues

• Hi,

I am running Hyperion (installed through latest Hypercon) on a rpi3 model b+ (running raspbian buster) and APA102 LEDs directly connected to the rpi.
    For the USB Grabber I have an Easycap (model Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1b71:3002 Fushicai USBTV007 Video Grabber [EasyCAP] but also tested with a Syntek one).
    On both grabbers I have a weak image quality as you can see on the pic attached (that I had to grab with the command below due to the crash on Hypercon reported below):

Code
    hyperion-v4l2 -d /dev/video0 -v PAL --input 1 --width 720 --height 576 -s 2 -f 2 --skip-reply --screenshot

Since I have tried two grabbers (although they can be both faulty but at least the Syntek one was ok when I used it for some VCR recording) what can be the issue?
    From my perspective the HDMI2AV can be faulty and I have already ordered a new one. But on the software side can something be wrong also?

Also another issue is that if I try to right click on Hypercon and try to Take Grabber Screenshot Hyperion crashes with the following log:

Code
    sh in:     May 18 18:08:49 raspberrypi hyperiond[4449]: INFO: Application closed with code 0
    ssh in:     May 18 18:08:49 raspberrypi hyperiond[4449]: V4L2GRABBER INFO: stopped
    ssh in:     May 18 18:08:49 raspberrypi hyperiond[4449]: EFFECTENGINE INFO: Cleaning up Python interpreter
    ssh in:     May 18 18:08:49 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopping Hyperion Systemd service...
    ssh in:     May 18 18:08:50 raspberrypi systemd[1]: hyperion.service: Succeeded.
    ssh in:     May 18 18:08:50 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Hyperion Systemd service.

Full Start log:

My Hyperion Config is attached.

Thanks for the help!

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just tried with your settings.
    Tried again to take a screen grab from Hypercon which still crashes hyperion everytime but sometimes I get the screen grab on Hypercon displayed:

Still bars across the image and mostly black and white.
    Thanks!

• None at all , just followed the guide on the forum and in fact that was my next question., whether I should install NG.
    Taking in account my current setup with rpi3 and raspbian and provisioned Hyperion with Hypercon, which is the best upgrade/migration path?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the reply. Just tried with your settings.
    Tried again to take a screen grab from Hypercon which still crashes hyperion everytime but sometimes I get the screen grab on Hypercon displayed:

Hypercon gets the screenshots from hyperion-v4l2. Hypercon does not know the video standard option no-change. This is why hyperion crashes when you try to take a picture with hypercon. As @TPmodding said, the best thing to do is switch to NG.

• After removing Hyperion through Hypercon and following the steps to Install Hyperion.ng as on the thread described i get this when starting it:
    pi@raspberrypi:/storage/downloads/Hyperion-2.0.0-alpha.5-Linux-armv7hf/bin $ sudo ./hyperiond
    Illegal instruction

Also trying the method of downloading the alpha5.deb and installing it manually yelds the same Illegal instruction result.

*NEW UPDATE* There is some issue with the R5 on rpimodel3 b+ and latest raspbian. I followed the method below for R4 and it installed ok:
    wget https://github.com/hyperion-pr…a.4-Linux-armv6hf-rpi.deb
    sudo dpkg -i Hyperion-2.0.0-alpha.4-Linux-armv6hf-rpi.deb

Now I will try to configure it and test again the screen capture and overall system behaviour

• Hi,

I have tried setting the HDMI2AV to NTSC as well as hyperion config. For sure it gives other colours but not the right ones still.
    And also I lose the live video preview on Hyperion WEB when I set it to NTSC

• Hi,

Finally I got it working with your tips. Indeed my HDMI2AV grabber only provides the correct colours with the physical switch set to NTSC. I just rebooted the whole setup and also set Hyperion to NTSC and it did the trick.

Some final doubts/advices:

1- I have attached my final config. Do you see any option that could be improved form your knowledge?
    2- The Signal Detection setting doesn’t seem to be working ok for me. It detects the loss of signal but instead of turning the LEDs of it sets them to a Blue Color. It would be great if it just turns them off.
    3- How to control Hyperion.ng from Home Assistant for example? The Hyperion has an integration for this but the NG version I don’t think so. Which is the easiest way to control it remotely (by sending some call or script to Hyperion IP for instance) in order to turn it off/on and set a color/effect?
    4- On the Releases part as I mentioned earlier Alpha 5 for me just threw an Illegal Operation message when trying to install it. Is there any reason for this? Should I wait for alpha 6? And also due to my method of install (just dpkg -i the package) which is the best/recommended approach to upgrade hyperion.ng and rollback the version also?

Also I have ordered another USB grabber with HDMI input (Nsendato UTVF007 USB2.0 To HDMI ) to try to get rid of HDMI2AV which I read somewhere it should work on hyperion.ng. I will report back if it does work ok!

Thanks once again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!