Heat issues, first LED works, not responding to Hyperion

• [Solved]
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think the problems were correct cabling of the RPI, cable thickness/length and faulty solderings.

Problem
    When the power supply is connected to the circuit only the first LED (bottom of the picture) lights up in a slight orange/red tone. The LED strips as well as the thin cables directly connected to the strip get really hot, to the point the end of the line (top of the picture) can barely be touched.

Before this setup I also had two bottom lines which I removed to get to below 100, in this case 90 LEDs. Although the top line never worked the left and bottom left lit up before switching setups when using hyperion. Currently hyperion doesn't do anything at all.

Instead of the two bottom lines I used 1.5mm cables to lower the resistance and now I will solder thicker and shorter cables for every thin cable used.

Hardware
    Mainly a 5V 2A (mistake, I used a 10A) PSU and a WS2801 LED strip.

LED strip:

Rest of the hardware is from this tutorial, including the thin cables:
    https://hyperion-project.org/t…mbilight-no-soldering.77/

Voltages terminals
    Start of the main terminal:
    4.23V
    Lower end of the main terminal (start of first strip):
    4.15V
    Top end of the main terminal (end of last strip):
    4.15V

Voltages strips (each measured after 1 LED)

Start 1: 3.9V
    End 1: 2.4V
    Start 2: 1.58V
    End 2: 1.03V
    Start 3: 2.07V
    End 3: 3.74

I suspect its a problem with the voltages, although with 126 LEDs in the beginning at least the first lower (18 LEDs) and left (24 LEDs) worked properly, even though the drop-off should've been higher than with the 1.5mm cables.
    Also I'm not sure why everything is getting hot while only one LED is lit.

• Is the 2A power supply the only one you use? Or do you have an extra PSU for the LED strip? The 2A are way too weak otherwise.

Its already solved, but to answer your question I use the 5V/10A PSU exclusively for the 90 LEDs (0.3W/LED). So 50W PSU for 27W of LEDs.
    The 2A were a writing mistake which I have corrected now.

I'm fairly sure the soldering was accountable for the heat issues.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!