1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

higher LED density worth it?

Discussion in 'Hyperion General' started by HiddenEmailer, 19 November 2020 at 06:26.

1. HiddenEmailer

HiddenEmailer New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Hello,
    sorry for this if its been answered my googling hasnt found much, maybe is cause im tired or maybe cause i suck.

is there a noticable difference going 144leds/m vs 60?

I'm a newb, i havent done this project yet, but im getting a new TV and have wanted to do ambient lighing for a long time.

from what i gather most older guides/videos recommended 30 leds/m (presumably because 60leds/m was expensive?)
    now most guides say 60 leds/m, is the only reason 144leds/m isnt recommended because of LED cost?

do you think future me would regret not going 144leds/m now?
    is it actually noticeable when used?
    does screensize play a factor in the noticability?
    pros/cons?

the only real criticism ive heard is needing to do more power injections for longer runs and/or needing larger power supplies

if anyone has comparisons of different LED densities used for hyperion being used i'd love to see comparison videos

thanks

2. TPmodding

TPmodding Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    this is a huge problem, wirings are important, psu is important...

but it is more a matter of taste, do you like it when every single pixel is used to show everything, or do you like it smoother...

3. ModuloFS

ModuloFS New Member

Hardware:
    32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    As i starded with my ambient-light i was not shure if i use 30 led/m or 60 led/m. I choose the 30 led/m because of the brightness. The 30 led/m i can run at 100% brightness and because of that i can use the whole color space of the leds. In therms of brightness, i think if you TV is not extreme far away from the wall (i think around 5 to 30 cm) the 60 led/m Version is ok.
    If you are struggling between 60 led/m or 144 led/m only because of the resolution, i would recommend the 60 led/m option. Even in my setup, i barely can localize each led and the leds are about 5 cm away from my wall. So the resolution with 30 led/m is already enough!

I have a 55" TV and i use WS2812 LEDs

Have a nice Weekend.