How to build working LED lights for all my devices?

• Hi everybody,

I'm completely new so please excuse me if I ask something stupid
    I have LG OLED 4K B7 55” tv connected to ONKYO TX-RZ 720 AV receiver on which all of my devices are connected ( Apple TV 4K, cable box, PlayStation 4.....)
    I would like to implement LED lights with Hyperion so all of my devices can use it.
    Please, can somebody help me how to do it?
    What is the best way so everything works properly if possible with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Thank you for your help.
    Mark

• Do you already have a tutorial you are planning to follow? Basically, you just need to take the HDMI output from your receiver, split it, send one of the split HDMI signals to the TV and the other to the grabber as part of your setup.

I have basically the same setup you're looking to create:

multiple devices connected to Sony STR-DN 1080 receiver (has 2 x HDMI out) -> (HDMI 1 to TV[LG B7]) HDMI 2 -> HDMI2AV converter -> USB grabber (UTV007 chipset) -> RPi Zero W (raspian lite) -> APA102 LEDs 60/m.

Whatever input I select on my receiver is what's shown on the TV and what the LEDs react to. Your setup would just need an HDMI splitter if you don't have two HDMI output on your ONKYO receiver.

There is obviously a power supply, wiring/soldering, all that stuff you'll need to learn/do in building this, but that is my basic configuration. If you're really at "square one" on this I can try to find you a link to the tutorial I followed.

As for Dolby Vision and Atmos; the Atmos is fine if your speakers are driven from the AV receiver directly. I have a 5.2.2 Atmos setup and there are no issues, if you're running an Atmos soundbar or speakers that are driven by your TV (from the HDMI output signal), I don't have any experience with that setup so I don't know, it could be fine or there could possibly be issues resulting from the downscaling I mention next:

Dolby Vision, HDR 10, HLG and even 4K are a problem. To put it very simply, your receiver will see some of the hardware (HDMI2AV/Grabber) as 1080p devices and so will scale down output to 1080p (this could also strip the Atmos data but I don't know for sure). Even though your TV is 4K, the receiver will scale down output to the lowest resolution device that's connected. There are some workarounds to this - HD Fury Linker seems to solve this issue but it's not cheap ($180 USD) but recently, a splitter/scaler called the EZCOO 4K HDMI 2.0 Splitter HDR Scaler is supposedly working for people and is much more affordable ($65 USD). I have not tried either of these devices, but from this forum and other general research, they seem to work well. I do plan on buying the EZCOO splitter soon to add to my setup though.

I was completely new to this myself a few months ago, so I'm definitely not an expert but I have built two setups that are working great so if you have other questions, I will try to help you out as best I can.

Good luck!

• First, a BIG BIG thank you for your extended answer.
    Just want to ask you some more information if you are willing and have time to answer.
    My ONKYO receiver has 2 outputs both capable of 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
    I have 5.1.2 speaker system hooked to my AV receiver.
    For now, I have Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and this Lightberry HD LED kit
    Here is a link to take a look:

https://lightberry.eu/shop/shop/lightberry-hd/

Do I need something more to add like HDMI2AV converter and USB grabber?
    If you have any more useful information I might need please point me.
    I thank you one more time for your help.

Mark

• No problem - Happy to help!

If you are comfortable with setting everything up (power, wiring, Hyperion, all that stuff), then yes, all you should need to add is a HDMI2AV converter and USB Grabber (make sure it's the UTV007 chipset, also called "Fushicai").

You'll have all your devices connected to your AV receiver. Then one HDMI out from your receiver goes directly to your TV and the other HDMI out from your receiver will go to your HDMI2AV converter > USB Grabber > RPi > LEDs.

I think that's all I can tell you for the moment, but if you have any other questions as you start putting this together, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!