Hyperion NG over wifi to nVidia Shield TV 2019?

• Hey all! Fell deep into the rabbit hole of DIY ambilight and here we are. ;)

First off, thanks for the board approval to be able to post.

Second I've read and searched a lot, and I know I'm probably one of the least DIY-capable among you, but hoping to find a happy solution in between bought kit and DIY solution.

I have a Samsung TV, nVidia Shield 2019 (non pro/no usb port), and a virtual machine PC in another room serving up some Linux goodies via wifi (Home Assistant, Pi-Hole, etc). I want to add an ambilight solution to my setup, but am trying to see how I would do it by adding Hyperion.

1. Hyperion NG (self compiled) is running on the VM PC (PC is not anywhere near TV). VM = DietPi distro if it matters.

2. Great beta program called Android Screen Grabber (https://hyperion-project.org/t…roid-screen-grabber.2708/) which I installed on my Shield. I verified that it connects and I saw the screen output in the webui of Hyperion.

3. I see tutorials and kits all coming with Arduino Uno and WS2112B with a setup like this:

First question is this, am I even able to use such a setup with my nVidia Shield TV? Is the USB connection that's coming out of the controller box (Arduino Uno I think?) strictly for power and can be plugged into my TV USB port? Or does that USB plug need to go into my grabber device (e.g. RPi)? Hopefully it's just for power, and so my next follow up question is...

What is the simplest way I could use this setup and add wifi ability? I would want this kit to connect via wifi to my Hyperion NG server that's in the other room, to then have Hyperion beam back the info to the Android app running on the Shield. Phew. Seems complex when I write it out. But I guess just trying to see if I can avoid buying additional components (like an RPi) and use the VM in the other room to the max. I found this: https://hyperion-project.org/t…-esp32-for-hyperion.3004/ Which made me question if there was an easier way to add wifi to an Arduino Uno and then discovered shields: https://www.adafruit.com/produ…-NSwqTwtfQIxoCDN8QAvD_BwE

Would this work? Would I be able to power the LEDs, Arduino, and its wifi shield off the 5v USB from TV? Again I'm not that great with wiring or soldering, so am trying to avoid if possible. But also not wanting to pay Philips $500+ (box, bridge, lights). ;)

I know this setup is not going to get me DRM-free content (4K-HDR-CEC-ARC-LOLLLL) holy grail ambilight. The mere thought of looking at HDMI splitter reviews is making my head spiral. I figured I could try to obsess over that once I get SOME content working first. :P

Thanks for reading!

• I've seen those led box's popping up. Never bought one, no clue to it's workings.

I would use WLED (https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED) to drive the led's instead of that kit. It would replace what ever that kits controller box is. Especially if your using HASS and you want to do a wifi Hyperion setup. just my 2cents.

You can use this kit (www.tindie.com/products/jasoncoon/wemos-d1-mini-esp8266-led-level-shifter-shield/) to make a WLED/Hyperion receiver, Just need to change pin assignments in WLED for the kit.

Setup would be something like:
    Hyperion running on your VM.
    It receives data from the android grabber via network ip.
    WLED to receive the led data that Hyperion sends via network UDP.

However his is not a beginners setup and you will need to do a good amount of reading to setup WLED and all the network connections to and from all the components.

Would this work? Would I be able to power the LEDs, Arduino, and its wifi shield off the 5v USB from TV?

No chance.
    TV usb outputs 1amp max.
    You are going to need about 10amps to drive a strip of 180 -/+ leds alone.

Hope its useful.

• Thank you for the reply! Very appreciated.

You can use this kit (www.tindie.com/products/jasoncoon/wemos-d1-mini-esp8266-led-level-shifter-shield/) to make a WLED/Hyperion receiver, Just need to change pin assignments in WLED for the kit.

Didn't know such kits existed. So at this point should I buy both of the kits and simply replace the black box with the one you linked to? Since I'll be still needing a power supply and the leds?

No chance.
    TV usb outputs 1amp max.
    You are going to need about 10amps to drive a strip of 180 -/+ leds alone.

I misspoke earlier. From the diagram above the LEDs are powered by the brick power supply. Found the paid app developer's website where it explains the components. So I guess I was wrong to think it was Arduino Uno inside the black box. It's an Arduino Nano.
    http://ambilight.tender-complex.ru/en/hardware_setup/

Btw I know I said no RPi earlier. But could the RPi 0 W ($10) be a simpler solution than the custom WeMo shield above? Or is there no way to run WLED on RPi's wifi chip? (not 8266 as I recall)

• Didn't know such kits existed. So at this point should I buy both of the kits and simply replace the black box with the one you linked to? Since I'll be still needing a power supply and the leds?

Sure. One way of doing it.

Btw I know I said no RPi earlier. But could the RPi 0 W ($10) be a simpler solution than the custom WeMo shield above? Or is there no way to run WLED on RPi's wifi chip? (not 8266 as I recall)

Well if that kit has a Arduino Nano in it. Yes you can use a Rpi and that kit. So no wifi between that point. Both well need to be near the TV. TV's usb should be able to power a nano, but probably not the Rpi0w. However, you may need to flash the nano with correct firmware. https://github.com/hyperion-pr…firmware/arduino/adalight

Hope it helps.

• So now I've confused myself entirely. :D

Am I able to replace the Arduino Nano inside with an RPi 0 W? That way I can then forward the packets directly via UDP like you mentioned above with the WeMo shield? (If WLED can run on RPi and not just WeMo?) Or would I need to retain the Arduino Nano inside the box and then instead of plugging the USB end into the TV, I plug it into the Pi? But then I'd still need to have RPi send over wifi the packets to Hyperion VM.

Didn't realize what no USB port on my Android TV really did until now. Thought I was giving up flash drive support. lol

• Am I able to replace the Arduino Nano inside with an RPi 0 W?

Technically yes, A Rpi0 can drive Leds by its self. However if the kit comes with a Arduino Nano, Use it. Its a great way to drive the leds. Even more so then with just the Rpi0 alone.

This way would work like this:
    Android grabber app on shield sends screen info to Hyperion, via network.

Hyperion running on Rpi0 receives screen info and magic happens;) and sends led info to Arduino Nano, via usb.
    And freeing up resources on the Rpi as well as a bonus.

Arduino Nano decodes what Hyperion sends it, via usb. And pass's it along to the led's attached directly to GPIO pin on the nano.

Hope that make sense and helps.

• Ah I see. So we are making Hyperion run on the RPi0W, not sending any data further to the VM, correct? I guess if the RPi0 is enough to run Hyperion with the Arduino Nano driving the LEDs, this is a solid solution until I want Netflix. ;)

Thank you kind sir for all the help! And patience. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!