Hyperion on Android... is this possible?

• Hey guys... newly registered here, but I've been reading a few things for the past few days.

So, here's my problem. I'm starting to build a custom home automation setup in my home that is basically running on Android/Tasker on my smartphone. But I wouldn't want the "server" to be confined to my smartphone (will be using voice commands) and so I thought about getting a RPI3. I know it's not running android officialy (yet) but I think it will get there.

Anyway, is there any hardware/software setup I could use to run both Hyperion and Android (tasker) on the same machine?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

• Thanks for your reply...

I consider myself as an advanced end user, so give me a break here. :D

Android is Linux-based so, to me, it makes perfect sense that Hyperion should run on it. I don't quite grasp the tech involved though, hence my questions. So, long story short: not possible, right?

Unless they make Domoticz work with my Broadlink RM2+, guess I'll have to setup a machine for each project. :(

• Yeah, Domoticz, OpenHAB, I know... :)

I didn't want to get into details on this since it's not really Hyperion related but I can explain a little better:

I'm using this cheap IR/RF sender/receiver from a company called Broadlink: the RM2+ (RM Pro). The thing is this gadget is controlable only by Android/IOS and the company refuses to develop or provide an SKD so that someone would be able to develop a Windows/Linux app. Some guy actually developed a Bridge app that runs on Android and receives HTTP commands that trigger the events, but the Android machine is always required. I could keep triggering the events from my smartphone, but if I want to trigger something when I'm away from home, for instance, I can't. There's nothing there to receive the commands. So, I thought I could do this and run hyperion on the same machine. Guess I'll have to find another way.

Thanks anyway. :)

• Is it as simple as "I want to turn the LEDs around my tv on and off from my home automation" ?

No, not at all. I could use the android remote control (as you pointed out) for that purpose.

Short answer: I would like to be able to run Hyperion on android instead of RPI. Basically because I will have to get an Android powered machine to run the Broadlink RM2 bridge (to be able to replace my smartphone). That being the case, makes no sense to me having to buy a RPI just to use Hyperion.

Perfect use case for me: get an Android TV box (Beelink or Wetek, for instance) to act as a home automation server and mediacenter, and run Hyperion. I would probably have to get an EasyCap grabber to input data to Hyperion but that shouldn't be a problem either.

A couple of years ago I installed a Nexus7 on my car's dash. It was quite an extensive and complicated project. The tablet would actually turn on when I turned the ignition on and go to sleep with ignition off, among some other interesting features. If there's something I've learned with that project is that (nearly) nothing is impossible with android. I'm guessing other people would be interested in this and I was actually quite shocked I couldn't find much on the subject.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!