Hyperiond V1.03.3 double CPU load of more than 25% than V1.03.2

• I have the problem that the new version of hyperion V1.03.3 has a CPU load of ~25% CPU load after installation and setting the configuration. The impact is that the Pi is then slow with no or bad response time, after shutdown the ext4-filesystem is often corrupted.
    in comparison the old V1.03.2 has a CPU load of 11%-15% and works like a charme.
    more in detail:
    I have a Pi 3 with the W2812B LEDs (PWM) and 202 LEDs.
    The liberelec which I had installed first half a year ago, works super smooth and without problems.
    Now I wanted to make a new install of all parts using raspian with kodi instead of the libreelec solution. And after the installation of the new hyperion version I get in trouble with the high CPU load.
    To find the reason, I made some tests:

• installation raspian from scratch, then kodi and at least hyperion 1.03.3. --> 25% CPU of hyperiond
    • because there is no chance to download older hyperion version I have copied the Hyperion files from 1.03.2 from my libreelec kodi over the 1.03.3 files -> 11% to 14% CPU load !!
    • installation libreelec with new hyperion 1.03.3. --> same 25% CPU
    • my "old" installation of librelec with v1.03.2 --> ~11% CPU

for that the reason cannot be the didtibution itself.

I have searched a lot of hours to find the reason, and meantime I have found the source code for 1.03.2. in the releases. Hyperion is a great project but I am disappointed that there is no binaries of the old version.. There is no chance to get the older versions of hyperion or I have to compil it myself ?
    I have learned that PWM-mode is not so nice for Pi and hyperion but the older version works fine and my expectation is that the new one deos the same good job.

does the developers have any idea whats going wrong with this issue ?

edit:
    added the log of hyperiond 1.03.3, no errors seems all well but 25% CPU

• After hours of testing, I have found the reason for that issue:
    Its hyperiond itself in conjunction with using PWM-LEDs WS2812B.
    During the tests it was a regularity that after installing hyperion, giving it a config (for runing hyperiond) and reboot, every time the filesystem was damaged.
    with its clockspeed of 800kHz the raspi-3 with hyperion isn't capable of running PWM-LEDs in an error-free manner.
    For that the CPU-load is rather high with app. 25%, may be that inetrrupts get lost or s.e. so that the filesytem an the sd-card will be damaged.
    What I have tested:

• clean installation of libreelec 8.01 (because its the most quick and easy way to get kodi running)
    • installation of hyperion and config with PWM (WS281x..)
    • Kodi andhyperion runs, but after reboot, it may stuck at the boot-logo
    • tried update to recent librelec 8.02 more times , after a reboot ist stucks certainly with boot-logo
    • I analyzed the sd-card within a normal raspian-installation and found that the filesystem was damaged
    • then I tried to localize the problem (with new image) and reduced the numbers of LEDs til down to 30. But that had no effect, again damaged FS
    • next step switching the configuration to SPI-LEDs APA102, and bingo: update libreelec works, boot works fine (every time). no more problems and the CPU-load was 3%-6%

Its not my part to find out why the new version has a double CPU load, thats part of the developers
    It was only random and luck, that my first installation of libreelec with hyperion 1.03.2 works flawless
    resumee of the testing marathon:
    Raspi-3 with hyperion and WS2812B doesn't realy work.
    I have ordered APA-102 LEDs and will change them

• Thx for your reply.
    at first : yes, that was a good hint.!
    I have changed the dma to 10 and now it is stable and no more FS corruption. I hadn't found any hint about that change
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to make a notice in the wiki ?
    at second: nevertheless the CPU-load of new hyperiond with 25%-27% in idle mode with WS281x-PWM configuration makes me not happy, in comparison of the 10%-12% of the former version.
    for that i will change my LEDs to APA102

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!