LEDs not lighting up to Hyperion

• Hi everyone,

I've double checked my wiring and seems like everything is wired correctly. The lights all turn on bright white when I hold the DI and CI wires (Maybe my hands are giving it enough boost to send a signal to turn on?) but nothing responds when I have it hooked up to my pi. My config file is here and my hyperion log is here . The log might be messy because I was starting/stopping hyperion and sending different config files to see if I could make anything work. Seems like nothing is lighting up. I checked the SPI and with this and it seems to be working fine

• Apa102'c strips are 5V devices. While you might get them to respond to a Rpi's 3.3V SPI signals, this is not a guaranteed thing.
    For low-voltage systems such as Rpi, a logic level shifter (e.g. 74AHCT125) is recommended for both the data and clock pins.

Lots of good info about "level shifter" on this forum.

• Apa102'c strips are 5V devices. While you might get them to respond to a Rpi's 3.3V SPI signals, this is not a guaranteed thing.
    For low-voltage systems such as Rpi, a logic level shifter (e.g. 74AHCT125) is recommended for both the data and clock pins.

Lots of good info about "level shifter" on this forum.

Hi I've tried with the level shifter but still doesn't seem to be sending any signal :( When I remove the GND wire from PI all the lights light up so I know that the lights are working. Can you please take a look at my wiring?

• You have all the right ingredients. It really sounds like a loose connection .

Clip-on end connectors are one possible problem, they don't all ways grip quite right and require futzing with to get it working. Especially when working with silicon coated led strips.

I've always powered the level shifter 5v from the Rpi 5v pin, Not sure if it matters but I like to stick with what I know works.

Hope it helps.

• Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear that you installation give you some trouble.

You wiring looks to be good but it's a little bit difficult to see what's wrong on you installation. For me you plug the good cable at the good place and if we take a look in Adafruit Website we can see approximatively the same thing https://learn.adafruit.com/dot…i-painter/assembly-part-1

Maybe test with a small lenght of LEDstrip will be good to see if something happen and when you are ready, you can try to continue your installation with the LEDs behind your TV and not before. If you can light on some 12 or 24 LEDs the rest will be easy.

This is my advice and what i'll do at your place.

• Hi everyone, thank you so much for the feedback! So I ended up getting it to work! I tried to test with a small length of LED strip as you said and it worked perfectly! I was so happy. When I attached that small length of the LED strip to first corner (bottom right) using the clip-on connector everything was working still! So I knew that something was wrong with the first LED and so I cut off the first LED and attached the clip on to the next LED beside that and everything was working! Thanks for everyone's help :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!