Long runs of strips for larger area?

• Hi folks

Very interested in this set up. However as you can see from my picture here, its not practical to run this around the tv as its inset into sound panels. However I have 10 metres circa of strip lights around the outer edge currently showing orange

I would like to run the software/hardware right around the edge replacing the current strips with addressable ones.. To my thinking because of powering the strips I woulld be better with two strips at around 4-5 metres each starting at the top centre and going one left and one right to create the effect.

So my question is can I do this with Hyperion, essentially run two strips as one system?

My second question is this would probably be off a raspberry pi 4, I understand we use on pin to communicate with the strip, in my configursation I would need two pins presumably to communicate, again would this be doable?

If both of those options are not possible, is there any way for me to achieve this?

One other point of confusion, on the current strips is a power supply each, 12v at 3a. But running the calculations and advice from various line, I would need like 10a to run this length. Do addressable use terrifically more power than standard strips?

Thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

hey,

you can run different instances with another device in each instance...so two stripes are possible, BUT not recommended to connect them to the pi...

i would suggest you following setup:

1. use 12v leds instead of 5v, becaus of the voltage drop in this huge length...
    2. connect a esp8266-board (for example an wemos d1 mini) with the WLED software, you can connect it with wifi to hyperion AND you can do more things without hyperion....some effects etc, the cool thing: you can devide it to different segments...

and the psu thing: you have 2 stripes, with each 12v 3a = 2 * (12*3) = 72 watts.... and the 10a you mentioned is 5v 10a = 50watts, but as i suggested i would chosse 12v

https://www.btf-lighting.com/c…al?variant=25774560247908

if you choose those ones: 0,3w each lead, 10m* 30leds/m*0,3w = 90watt -> 12v 7,5A, but you need always a little bit puffer so i would prefer a 12v 10a psu

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!