Low performance with forwarding

• Hey guys,
    hope someone can help me with this.

My problem:
    When i activate the forwarding on my first hyperion instance to send data to my second instance, the performance of the first instance goes down. This results in laggy and stuttering LEDs reaction to the grabbed content but only on the first instance (the fowarding one). Reaction/timing of the second one is absolutely fine.

My setup:
    - Hyperion config 1 and 2 running on 1 RPi3 with OSMC installed, RPi3 connected to network via cable
    - config 1 and 2 sending LED data to 2 Wemos D1 mini (ESP8266) over wireless network (TV-ESP and Wheel-ESP)
    - TV-ESP controlling 88 LEDs (config 1), Wheel-ESP controlling 60 LEDs (config 2)

config 1 (TV):

config 2 (Wheel):

What i tried and checked (for the last 4 days -.- ) :
    -
    testing my wireless connections/bandwith -> works fine
    - installing the second instance to another RPi3 (Raspbian) and forwarding the data to this one -> makes the problem worse
    - checking CPU load of OSMC RPi3 with both instances running-> seems fine, around 50%
    - lowering smoothing time and frequency on both instances -> makes no difference
    - changing the TV-ESP to an Arduino UNO -> makes no difference
    - changing the forwarding: instance 2 forwarding data to instance 1 -> moves the stuttering from instance 1 to instance 2
    - stopping the process of the second instance while i have a look on the stuttering LEDs of first instance -> the stuttering of the first instance goes away
    ---------> so i am 99% sure the problem is the forwarding option, (or i did a wrong config)

I have no idea what else to try. Help would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!!

• Thanks for your post! i did not use it before because Hyperion worked fine for me till i noticed the issue i was talking about. I thought solving the problem would be easier than changing the setup to an alpha version of hyperion-ng.
    Now i have set up Hyperion-ng. The problem is temporary solved cause my 2 hyperion-ng instances are using both the dev/video0 input. So if i turn of the ambilight function of one instances, i can not turn it back on cause the access to the /dev/video0 is blocked by the other instance using /dev/video0.

I was not able to make the forwarding option work in hyperion-ng. So i could not test for the stuttering problem i have described. Is port fowarding already functional in hyperion-ng?
    Am i missing something here?

Greetz and merry xmas!

• Thanks for the hint. That works fine. But i am controlling the lights via homebridge and the hyperion plugin(s), there are 3 version and i am going to try with them. but actually this is not my main problem. it is generally the forwarding possible already with hyperion-ng?

• Offizieller Beitrag

@T4gg4rt If I got your general need right, you would like to capture one source, but would like to drive two type of LEDs, correct?
    With Hyperion classic you required two hyperions and forwarding. With Hyperion.NG you only need one installations (but two Instances with Hyperion configured) and no forwarding.

If I got this right, then you should not ask for quicker forwarding, but how to better use Hyperion.NG capabilities to even reduce complexity in your setup.
    Suggest you look at the overall setup with a fresh pair of eyes :)

• @T4gg4rt If I got your general need right, you would like to capture one source, but would like to drive two type of LEDs, correct?
    With Hyperion classic you required two hyperions and forwarding. With Hyperion.NG you only need one installations (but two Instances with Hyperion configured) and no forwarding.

If I got this right, then you should not ask for quicker forwarding, but how to better use Hyperion.NG capabilities to even reduce complexity in your setup.
    Suggest you look at the overall setup with a fresh pair of eyes :)

Yes that is exactly what i wanted. I have hyperion-ng (2 instances) up and running fine now. The other problem i have is about homebridge and the hyperion-ng plugin. So i will mark this thread as solved.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!