Pi and LEDs not working correctly | Novice

• Hello all!

Excited to finish this project and thought it would be easier than its proving to be. Please note I am a 100% beginner. I've been reading through the forums and it seems many of the people have some intermediate understanding of the OS. So if you have any technical replies I just ask that you use an ELI5(explain like im 5) approach :roflmao:. Also not sure if I chose the right prefix

Here's what I have, click for direct link to Amazon page.

:

RPi 4

While independently powered the Pi works flawlessly. I can run hyperion, the image capture works and I can see the screen image on the capture live video display. I counted out about 83 LEDs across the top and 82 across the bottom. 45 each side.

Now on to the issue.

When I plug the Pi into the power unit the red and green lights near the USB-C power port come in. However when I power the Pi using a USB-C to USB-C cable -> 18W Power Adapter(i use it for my iphone) everything works and I notice the green light near the USB C power on the Pi stays off for the most part, maybe some occasional flickering. Yet when I wire it to the barrel connector and use the power brick it stays on the entire time and the WiFi does not work and the Ethernet port does not light up or work either.

At first I thought it might be the USB cable I spliced so I spliced another but no dice. Now im out two USB C cords lol

The LEDs don't fully light as well. It's not a consistent color and sometimes on the first two LEDs would light. After a couple minutes they all eventually light up but with the first 20 or so flickering from different colors. I though tit was a power unit issue so I ordered the next size up I could find and got a 15 amp. I powered the Pi and LEDs using the same barrel connector.

Any idea what could be the cause? I'm guessing its something with the power?

• Any idea what could be the cause? I'm guessing its something with the power?

I think ( strongly) the USB-C expect an smart signal from the device. USB-C only works when the device is connected to a smart loader like a chargingadapter or station or capable USB-C smart device output.

that said. Just connect your power from PSU 15A directly on the 5 volts en GND pins of the PI, that will reroute the power internally.
    i think that will work, however i don't have a PI4 so you have to find out the power pins.

also remember that everything to PSU connected should be grounded together

• Thank you! this worked.

Now for me to just work on mitigating the LED and picture delay

Edit: nvm fixed the delay. just needed to lower resolution to 800 x 600 and set size decimation to 18. essentially no delay now.

• new problem. Everything works flawlessly.....sometimes. Sometimes the LEDs just flat out stop lighting. If i toggle USB Capture under remote control on and off it comes back on for any where from 2 seconds to 2 minutes then its back off again and Hyperion is disconnected and I no longer see "USB Capture: (V4L2:auto)" if I toggle it again it comes back but disconnects again shortly after.

My HDMI splitter is showing no connection to the Capture card(grabber?) after this point(generally signified by an LED light being on next to the subsequent HDMI out port) Could that be an issue with the grabber itself? or software :/ any help would be appreciate folks :)

• new problem. Everything works flawlessly.....sometimes. Sometimes the LEDs just flat out stop lighting. If i toggle USB Capture under remote control on and off it comes back on for any where from 2 seconds to 2 minutes then its back off again and Hyperion is disconnected and I no longer see "USB Capture: (V4L2:auto)" if I toggle it again it comes back but disconnects again shortly after.

My HDMI splitter is showing no connection to the Capture card(grabber?) after this point(generally signified by an LED light being on next to the subsequent HDMI out port) Could that be an issue with the grabber itself? or software :/ any help would be appreciate folks :)

first try if the same problem you have now also persists if using the (internal grabber)

if its not; probably the signal with EDID values from the splitter ( or before that) isn't really understood by receiving party > your grabber.
    the problem excist because the image have to be spliced up into two, i had the same problem with HDMI output on my reciever...
    sometimes the signal was there or it broke off my tv signal !

so what to do probably ( if i am reading correctly)
    purchase a good 4k> HDMI splitter with capability to adjust EDID values manually with dipswitch, this will force the signal to the grabber AND the main signal to your tv is not intercepted anymore.

you can also try in terminal lsusb with this command you can see if grabber is recognized the moment your screenshot in hyperion fails.

goodluck!; ps i have my splitter from XOLORspace

• thank you. I have a splitter with EDID switch on order from Amazon arriving tomorrow if that doesnt work I will look into a xolorspace for sure.

I should note that the signal to the TV never fails. it is only the signal to the capture card > Pi ( i have two capture cards sitting here since I blamed the first one and bought a different brand).

how can I test the internal grabber? would I need an HDMI male to USB male cable?

Youve been a tremendous help. thank you again.

• how can I test the internal grabber? would I need an HDMI male to USB male cable?

the internal grabber is on Hyperion (local IP:8090) to select, normally USB grabber is selected with priority 240. just deselect that and select internal frame grabber
    no you don't need other type of HDMI cables to test a non 4k signal to your grabber.

• i have this one that is capable of set your EDID values with dipswitch and spliiting 4K signal into 1080p ( without interfering main HDMI signal)
    https://xolorspace.com/product…os=1&_sid=0ebc909ff&_ss=r

HI! youv ebeen a great help.

so i just set up the splitter with EDID. What i notice is the EDID splitter seems to limit my resolution output to my soundbar(which then goes ARC to my TV so I can maintain ATMOS) but im testing it on PS4 Pro. the splitter seems to cap the PS4 Pro at 1080P and when it does that the Hyperion works flawlessly. Yet whenever I flip the switch to uncap just the signal going to soundbar > TV and the signal is 4K on my TV, Hyperion stops working immediately for some reason. Is the splitter choosing the 1080p capped signal to my capture card as the master signal and therefor capping the output to the sounbar/tv to 1080p as well to match?

maybe i need to buy a downscaler to get this thing to work properly :thumbsdown:

• HI! youv ebeen a great help.

so i just set up the splitter with EDID. What i notice is the EDID splitter seems to limit my resolution output to my soundbar(which then goes ARC to my TV so I can maintain ATMOS) but im testing it on PS4 Pro. the splitter seems to cap the PS4 Pro at 1080P and when it does that the Hyperion works flawlessly. Yet whenever I flip the switch to uncap just the signal going to soundbar > TV and the signal is 4K on my TV, Hyperion stops working immediately for some reason. Is the splitter choosing the 1080p capped signal to my capture card as the master signal and therefor capping the output to the sounbar/tv to 1080p as well to match?

maybe i need to buy a downscaler to get this thing to work properly :thumbsdown:

I'm using this splitter it has a loop out for hdmi so you plug in hdmi in and you have hdmi out yo your tv and usb out to raspberry

• I'm using this splitter it has a loop out for hdmi so you plug in hdmi in and you have hdmi out yo your tv and usb out to raspberry

I dont think that does much to help me but thank you.

upon further research it seems the RPi has issues with 4K signals. I need to down convert the signal before it gets to the RPi. I think my best bet is Splitter > HMDI to RCA converter > RCA to USB Capture Card. The signal would be 480i going into the RPi which would work well for me as the 4k signal would still go to the soundbar

As it currently stands if I use my Apple TV 4K or PS4 Pro with 4K signal, the signal cuts and Hyperion goes back into idle effect two seconds after starting but If I force a 1080p signal it works flawlessly.

• I dont think that does much to help me but thank you.

upon further research it seems the RPi has issues with 4K signals. I need to down convert the signal before it gets to the RPi. I think my best bet is Splitter > HMDI to RCA converter > RCA to USB Capture Card. The signal would be 480i going into the RPi which would work well for me as the 4k signal would still go to the soundbar

As it currently stands if I use my Apple TV 4K or PS4 Pro with 4K signal, the signal cuts and Hyperion goes back into idle effect two seconds after starting but If I force a 1080p signal it works flawlessly.

well from what I saw your usb grabber doesn't have it's own power and pi can't supply it for 4k, the one I linked has it's own power that you would plug into your 5v 15a supply that way it won't get powered through the pi. :)

• well from what I saw your usb grabber doesn't have it's own power and pi can't supply it for 4k, the one I linked has it's own power that you would plug into your 5v 15a supply that way it won't get powered through the pi. :)

hmmm didnt think of that. is that why it cuts out? more so to do with power than the signal itself? I think the power is for the HDMI loop not the USB

• about to give up. Nothing works consistently.

Gone through 3 splitters ( a normal 4k splitter, second a 4K splitter with EDID switch and now a 4K splitter with downscale switch)

Gone through 2 capture cards

Nothing works. After a few minutes Hyperion resorts back to idle LED effect which for me is rainbow color. Looks good but I want ambilight im thinking its a capture card issue

in a last ditch effort I may try HDMI to RCA > RCA Capture Card to see if this will actually work. if not im done.

• I'm telling you the 4k capture cards get powered from the PI's usb. PI's usb can only supply 600ma (1.2a on newer models) and 4K 60hz capture card needs more power to keep the signal. I had the same issue and got a powered 4k usb capture card with hdmi loop.
    Also the hdmi to rca to usb worked very well for me but I wanted a little more simple set up to fit it into an enclosure.

• yes,

in this kit the HDMI cables is included! :)

but this splitter doesn't support Dolby Atmos, look at the specs

I'm telling you the 4k capture cards get powered from the PI's usb. PI's usb can only supply 600ma (1.2a on newer models) and 4K 60hz capture card needs more power to keep the signal. I had the same issue and got a powered 4k usb capture card with hdmi loop.
    Also the hdmi to rca to usb worked very well for me but I wanted a little more simple set up to fit it into an enclosure.

just installed the HDMI to RCA.

. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but is there a way to passthrough 4K Dolby Vision to my soundbar but downscale to 1080p for output 2 so it'll work with Hyperion?

it works fine if I use the scaler to cap the signal at 1080p SDR. Even works with 4K SDR with certain splitter. But when it comes to 4K Dolby or 4K SDR I'm unable to get it to work. Hyperion does recognize the capture card and signal but the LEDs stay in the default colored bars output.

edit: nevermind. further research is showing that apparently i cant achieve 4K HDR or more desirably, Dolby Vision and have Hyperion work unless I have some expensive HDFury product?

So i guess 4K SDR + Atmos will have to do when Im in the mood for ambilight.

interestingly it works with 1080p Dolby Vision and 1080p HDR. hmm what is it about 4K HDR and 4K Dolby Vision that causes it to flatline?

Thank you guys for your help. Think ill stick to the HDMI to RCA configuration so far its been the most consistent by far

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!