Possible bug: latency in setImage via ProtoBuffer

• Hi,

recently, I started to develop a tool for music visualization via Hyperion. The calculations are performed by a Java program on a windows computer. I will present a first alpha of this a little later.

Anyways, I use Protobuffer for transferring the images to Hyperion. I basically took the provided Protobuffer[1] example without changing it. I experienced a considerably high latency for sending an image and receiving the reply via this program(~40ms). Suprisingly, when I increased the amount of data to be sent (by artificially increasing the image resolution), the latency decreased significantly (~4ms). I am not sure if this is some buffering problem of my windows system, network device, or protobuffer protocol or if it is really a bug of Hyperion. However, I wanted to start this thread for providing a possible solution for other developers facing the same problem.

So if it is no real bug, nevermind ;) For everybody else experiencing considerably high latencies, try to increase the amount of data - maybe it helps.

[1] https://hyperion-project.org/w…uffer-Java-client-example

• Yes, I did, but thank you for the link. So far this very similar piece of software is limited to Linux because it uses gstreamer. Since I have no Linux computer around for that, I want to handle a simple audio stream coming in via lineIn or even microphone. This should be more platform independent (however you have to get the audio source from somewhere). Despite of that, the idea is the same.

• Thank you, if you stumble across that again, I would appreciate if you can send me the link :) I haven't seen it although I searched for possible solutions quite a while.

However, it is not too hard to write it by my own because the Protobuffer java class is already available and I use the Minim library for audio processing (it took me only 5 hours to set both up without any previous knowledge and I learned a lot, so the time was well spent). Therefore, the whole challenge reduces to being creative in building an own visualization.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!