Power supply wiring: does this look right?

• Hi there,

I have 5m of APA102 60led/m leds and a 5V 30A power supply that í'm trying to wire up but I'm a little confused as to how to go about it. This is all a bit new to me so bear with me.

Below is how things are currently wired up; the 5 led strip pieces each have their own 5V connection to the V+ on the power supply, DI, CI and GND are connected between the strips.

I can't seem to get my LEDs to light up though.

Do I need to connect the GND end of each of the led strips with V- on the power supply? Am I missing something else?

Any help is appreciated!

• It's an original Raspberry Pi, model B. SSH is enabled, the other two I'm not sure, the leds did light up when I was testing them before cutting, and I could control them with the app so I assume that's ok.

I was thinking that I might need to connect the 5V ends of the strips to the V+ on the power supply as well?

• In my solution there is a ring (connected to power supply on both ends). As you draw each led stips has connected to power supply, so it should be enough power.
    How many power your power supply has? Did you make connections by soldering or by other solution? Maybe you can try to remove RPI connection and test again only with power supply.

• The power supply is 5v 30A so 150W peak. Connections are soldered. I did test by removing the power supply, but what is supposed to happen then? If I understand correctly the APA102 leds need the data connection to give instructions on which leds to turn on, if there is no data being sent none of them will turn on right?

• :) I meant remove the wire connection from RasPi side not from power supply. The power supply should be enough power. You wrote that you tested before cutting. Now please do it again with your app. If its light than the connections are ok and no need extra power supply from other end of strips.

I have RPI3 and I enabled the SSH, SPI and GPIO via Raspbian in configuration menu.
    Here is some info about that:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/do…iguration/raspi-config.md
    Please enable SPI as well. As I know the 4 wire solution using SPI kernel. Here you can find more details:
    https://hyperion-project.org/t…g-leds-ws2801-apa102.202/

For what program (Kodi, OpenELEC, etc.) want to use Hyperion?

• I removed the Clock and Data connections from the strip and powered on the power supply but nothing happens.

I decided to resolder the entire thing so that it is one continuous strip (as in the tutorial here). That made no difference but I did notice something strange: I had my soldering iron plugged into the same power brick as the Pi and when I turned the soldering iron off, some LEDs lit up! After powering the soldering iron on and off a few times all LEDS light up, so I don't think power is the issue, it is more the driving of the LEDs that's failing...

I'm currently running Openelec on the Pi, but I don't plan to use it since I have and nvidia Shield TV that does all the heavy lifting. The RPi will only be used to drive the leds using a usb grabber and HDMI splitter.

• If you have a multimeter you can check the contacts.
    Are you using soldering iron like this?
    If do so the reason of led blinking is the transformer in soldering iron. When you powered on/off the transformer generates inductivity and it flows back to power line. It can cause some small electronic impulse in other electronic equipments (like RPi) which are connected to sam power plug.

On my LED strips (w2812b) there is a small arrow (like this) which shows the right direction of the power route and also the addressing of controller chips. Please check your strips maybe it can cause some problem.

First time when I tested my strips I could turn on LEDs only under Raspbian. I logged in to my RPi and istalled Hyperion. After that I sent the configuration file, restarted the RPi and connected again via Hyperion. After this on SSH tab pushed the Start button and on Color wheel mark the Auto update and clicked on Set LED Color button and LEDs are light. :)
    But under Kodi I could not have success, I need more fine tuning and figuring out what is hte problem, but at least my LEDs are working. :)

Keep in touch and I'll try my best to help you. :)

• My soldering iron is really a soldering station, like this, but i guess the same principle applies.

But anyway, I installed Raspbian Lite, enabled SSH and the SPI kernel module, installed Hyperion and still nothing. So I installed wiringPi and PiGPIO to test the GPIO pins and I'm seeing a lot of failures:

So I guess I must've damaged the GPIO controller :D

Time to look for a new Pi I guess...

• I ended up going with a RPi Zero. It works!

At first I was driving the clock and data lines with cables that were a bit too long, the signal would get distorted, but after moving the Pi Zero to the back of the tv and using shorter wires everything is ok :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!