Problem getting ambilight to work

• Hello,

Incredible noob here, never tried anything like this but am willing to learn with help of tutorials.

I have been trying to get my WS2812b LED's to work like ambilight on my tv. I have been following multiple tutorials on the internet but can't get it to work. I have started to follow this tutorial: https://hyperion-project.org/t…-ws2801-ws2812b-apa102.8/

I started in August 2020 and needed to wait untill I have all the hardware. Now I have everything I need but the link above doesn't work anymore and can't complete this tutorial.

I have also followed:

https://forum.team-mediaportal…01-ws2812b-apa102.128526/

this link and the site/files from Christian Moser

The main problem now is when I list my connected USB devices using SSH through PUTTY it won't recognize my videograbber in the way it is described in the Christian Moser files. When I power everything on I see the boot sequence (LED’s flashing red-green-blue) but after that nothing happens. I see the OpenElec logo after which it goes black (as it is supposed to I guess since according to the tutorial OpenElec auto-shutsdown because I don’t need it)

The hardware I own is:

- Mibox 4

- Raspberry pi zero

- Lightbox dream color (https://tinyurl.com/y53d594y), which is, as far as i know, an pre-programmed arduino

- 4.5m WS2812b LED lights

- Video grabber with on the chip: UTV007

- HDMI splitter

- HDMI to AV box

- USB hub

- USB to ethernet to get internet on my Pi Zero

- HDMI cables

I have set the hardware above up according to the tutorials. And am using OpenElec

So the main problem right now is:

- why does my Pi not recognize the video grabber

- Is the lightbox dream color indeed a well programmed arduino

- Can I re-acces the first hyperion link since that was the best tutorial so far which I started but now cannot finish.

If needed I ofcourse can provide any SSH data if necessary.

Kind regards in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

the tutorial you linked, is based on the old hyperion..(classic) which is discontinued...
    you should have a look on hyperion.ng
    try this one

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Allright, so when using a Pi Zero I guess nothing changes and I need to connect the LED's to GPIO18 as well?
    My LED strip has a connector to go in the lightbox/arduino case, is it possible to cut this connector and solder a simple wire from the LED data pin to the GPIO18? Or is it easier to leave this pre-solderd connector and just solder a data wire to the free end of the LED strip and set the data in the software to go counterclockwise instead of clockwise as it is going right now?

• To clarify with a picture:

On the right is the beginning of the LED strip with a power and a data connector. On the left is the end of the LED strip with an extra power connector clipped on. Is it possible to wire the GPI0 18 port to the data connector on the end of the LED strip so I can leave the pre-soldered cables on? And I guess i need to reverse the data flow in this case

• I have everything set up according to the youtube video but so far no succes. I can acces Hyperion through my browser and have set everything as instructed in the video. I don't get the lights to light up on booting the raspberry. Today I got my Pi Zero W and the wireless connection works great.
    Is there an other way to test the LED's?

• @Soundcrusher You might have a lock into hyperion's log (System->Log), if there are any Errors reported.

Edit:

I changed the log-level to debug and got this:

All the other log-levels gave: No log messages available.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could enable the debug log and then disable and then enable the LedDevice via the „Remote Control“ and share the log output again?

Via „Remote Control“ you can also set a solid color. Does the LEDs light up in the color?

• Could enable the debug log and then disable and then enable the LedDevice via the „Remote Control“ and share the log output again?

Via „Remote Control“ you can also set a solid color. Does the LEDs light up in the color?

How can I enable/disable in the Remote Control tab? I don't see anything where I can do that.

When I select anything in the colour/effects tab, should this effect start right away?

Edit: This is wat it says at 'Remote Control'

https://ibb.co/CwVtML4

(sorry, can't post the screenshot somehow)

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I enable/disable

use the on/off switch Button next to LEDDevice.

When I select anything in the colour/effects tab, should this effect start right away?

yes

• use the on/off switch Button next to LEDDevice.

yes

Thanks, when selecting something at the colour/effects button nothing happens. I enabled and disabled and now have this debug log:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, I do not see that you disabled or enabled the device in the log.
    Nevertheless, I do not see any previous errors for the LED Device. Looks like that it is more hardware related....

• Hmm strange, somehow I also think it is hardware related.

I just got a new Pi Zero W today so that should be okay. The lighting on the back of my tv have worked before so I know they aren't broken.
    The other thing I changed is the input side of the LED strip, it had 2 connectors; one for the 5V power block, and one which goes in the arduino I got by the set I bought on Aliexpress but don't use right now. I took off both connectors, solderd a red wire to the + and black to the ground which go to the original connector and to the power block.
    The other connector is gone and I have solderd a small wire to the data point on the LED strip and the other side to the GPIO-18 port of my raspberry, could this be the source of the trouble? Is this one small wire enough?

• I'm at a loss. I re-solderd everything, now the leds do kinda light up but it is like a Christmas tree, very unstable, a lot of flickering and differently coloured led's even though there shouldn't be any led's on since I shut down everything in the browser. I'm still using the same 5V8A block I used before and worked great so the amps are high enough

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!