Random information requests to help me start planning...

• So I'm just getting started and have some things I'd like to ask if anyone with more experience (not a hard ask there) could toss an opinion or two at me. I stared at the forum search function and honestly wasn't even sure what to search for, so please excuse if this has all been answered. I'm not looking for anything in depth, just maybe a, "No you are crazy, that's impossible!" or maybe a, "Well maybe that would work." Basically I don't want to put anybody out, just need direction.

Questions:

• What other things can I do with the Raspberry Pi once Hyperion is doing it's thing? Do I need to keep it just running Hyperion or can I use it for things like Kodi or whatever at the same time?
    • Can I use that same Pi to control other lighting around the apartment? Or do I need multiple Pi's for stuff like that?
    • Can I just leave the Pi running quietly forever and not worry with on/off functions?

Thanks for any assistance! Like I said I'm a total noob, and just trying to figure out what direction to take and plan my project (and extremely limited funds) efficiently. I'll explain my overall idea below if anyone cares.

So I first stumbled across a Philips Hue video a while back where someone was playing video games and the light was changing with the game. At the time I was playing a lot of Conan Exiles, and thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if I could have the light in the room change to match the environment?" So I started researching that. I'm disabled, so video games are the major source of entertainment/sanity in my life, and little DIY projects help keep me from going mad boxed in an apartment all day. So What I want to do is set up an Ambilight for my TV, which I have recently wall mounted. I run my PC and Xbox One S through my stereo receiver to the TV via HDMI. I would like to add some fun LED lights around the living room (WiFi would be a plus), both to improve lighting (the lighting in here sucks) as well as add ambiance when watching movies or playing video games, maybe some music reactive stuff for fun in case we want to impress visitors, that sort of thing.

• Hi,

1. What other things can I do with the Raspberry Pi once Hyperion is doing it's thing?

Hyperion only uses about 10% of a Rpi cpu time. So pretty much anything that runs on a Rpi can run along side.

Do I need to keep it just running Hyperion or can I use it for things like Kodi or whatever at the same time?

See above.

2. Can I use that same Pi to control other lighting around the apartment? Or do I need multiple Pi's for stuff like that?

You might want to look in to a home automation program. "Home Assistant" is gaining popularity and has a Hyperion component. And Home assistant can run on the same Rpi as well. Although it's a not trivial task to achieve.

3. Can I just leave the Pi running quietly forever and not worry with on/off functions?

Yes. you can. I've had a Rpi running Hyperion constantly for all most two years. I've had to redo the SD card a few times after power outage's. If you make a backup image it's trivial. However other then that it's a set and forget system. With the odd reboot needed occasionally.

little DIY projects help keep me from going mad

Amen.. I think you well like this project. I enjoyed the build.
    If you do look in to Home Assistant for some home lighting control you MUST check out the "Sonoff-Tasmota" project. https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota .
    It's a DIY dream. Although the learning curve is kind of steep. However both Home assistant and Sonoff-Tasmota have a very big community so help is there if needed.

(WiFi would be a plus)

Good info about how to tackle that here. ( https://hyperion-project.org/t…6-esp32-for-hyperion.3004 )

Although all DIY projects need a fair amount of reading before hand and can be expensive at times I find it all satisfying and calming.
    Hope this is of help.

• Wow thank you so much! This helps a lot and I'll continue reading.

Quick additional question if you get a moment.

I was looking at the AtmoOrb, and wondered how something like that would compare to the Sonoff-Tasmota project you mentioned (I'm digging into it now). I had seen the ESP8266 chips mentioned elsewhere while wandering through the interwebs trying to figure this stuff out, but noticed the AtmoOrb mentions a different chip, the Particle Photon (I think that was it?). I haven't been able to figure out what the difference is yet. Anyway the question would be, why would I want to use one project vs the other? Or should I consider doing both eventually?

Again thank you so much! I just finished a project a few days ago, built a couple pieces of furniture (not glamorous, but at least they match lol) and I always get a lost feeling when I finish something, especially when I get it right for some reason. Your response really is helping me re-focus!

• Particle Photon (I think that was it?). I haven't been able to figure out what the difference is yet.

I think it just another manufacture version of a DIY wifi module, as the ESP8266 are . I'm not sure if the two are compatible with code sharing.

Anyway the question would be, why would I want to use one project vs the other? Or should I consider doing both eventually?

I have read lots of folks posts about using just Hyperion for fun lighting around the house. Yes it can be done.
    However I sensed a interest that those two projects vast possibility's might have to offer you.
    As Hyperion led me to Home assistant and Home assistant led me to Sonoff-Tasmota. I fun ride indeed. That i still ride.
    =)

Hope it helps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!