Raspberry Pi (Openelec) and WS2812B

• Hi Guys,
    I tried to set up my ambient light but i ran into a wall somehow:
    I got WS2812B Stripes connected to an 5V 10A Powersource (136 LED) and my raspberry pi. But somehow I can not get it to work.

This is my hyperion.config.json

And this my Log

you can see my connections in the uploaded pictures.

But the leds just won't turn on.
    I am a total newbe on this - what am i doing wrong?
    Thanks so much.

• Hi,

There are some limitations when using ws2812b strips that are not very well covered by tutorials.

The library (jgarff/rpi_ws281x) Hyperion uses to drive ws2812 led's has good info and fix's detailed HERE.

When using PWM pins you well need to disable the onboard RPi audio. fix detailed on that page.

I would use SPI pin 19 for the data pin and the ws281x-SPI drivers for Hyperion. Less overhead and does not cause audio problem. And follow the SPI tips from that page.

Hope this helps

PS put some tape on that loose 5v+ wire. don't want to short something. Nice clean build.

• Thx so much for your help! I have tried to disable the onboard audio but apparently i am not successful

I did create the /etc/modprobe.d/snd-blacklist.conf file and wrote
    blacklist snd_bcm2835
    saved it (with ssh and nano)
    rebooted - no luck
    i edited the config.txt (plugged the microsd into my pc and edited the file there - added:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

I did not quite understand
    "If the audio device is still loading after blacklisting, you may also need to comment it out in the /etc/modules file."
    I don't have a /etc/modules file or directory on my raspberry?

I have the following stripe (i forgot to mention it earlier) https://www.aliexpress.com/sna…986&productId=32832420003

sorry for being so stupid could you help me out?

• I did not quite understand
    "If the audio device is still loading after blacklisting, you may also need to comment it out in the /etc/modules file."
    I don't have a /etc/modules file or directory on my raspberry?

This tutorial should help. HERE. Step #2.

Hope its of help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!