rawudp protocol questions

• I tried to find some info about the "protocol" used for rawudp but I must have looked in all the wrong places.
    So I went ahead and tried to reverse engineer it by just catching the UDP packets but soon got some surprises.

While it is quite obvious that each LED gets its own 3 byte block in the packet I only ever get 300 bytes long datagrams which is only worth 100 LEDs but I'd need 220+ LEDs. How is that? Where is the data for the rest of LEDs and how do I get to it?

Also is there some comprehensible list of possible commands a rawudp controller could send back to the server?

• I found the source of my issue.
    For some reason this screen is missing the input field for the total number of LEDs so the default of 100 is assumed and thus only 300 bytes are sent even when the LED Layout is set correctly (140+140+70+70).

However, after a lot of clicking and messing around I once manged to get the total LED count field displayed and once I entered the correct value I did get the correct UDP packet size.

This does appear to be a bug IMHO.
    I also dare to ask whether having to provide the total LED number in two places isn't somewhat redundant. Shouldn't the number of LEDs set in the layout suffice? At least when the number set in the layout exceeds the "total LED count" shouldn't the greater of the two be used?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This does appear to be a bug IMHO.
    I also dare to ask whether having to provide the total LED number in two places isn't somewhat redundant. Shouldn't the number of LEDs set in the layout suffice? At least when the number set in the layout exceeds the "total LED count" shouldn't the greater of the two be used?

You can configure the HW LED number and the LED-Layout. Currently, the bigger number is used to set the number of LEDs for processing.
    Sometime there is a problem and you might need restarting Hyperion to have it right.

"shouldn't the greater of the two be used"
    I personally am not in favor of just taking the bigger number (as per today), as it causes different problems, if you look at it holistically.
    I would like to have the Hardware LED number configured first and then the layout should be configured within that physical boundary.
    For some devices it is a problem when the layout is bigger than what the hardware supports...
    ... and unfortunately most users do not look into the Log output where often enough Errors are reported outlining configuration issues....

In a current development, I am even going one step further:

- Show the HW LED count as standard level (so it is not longer hidden)
    - Selected devices are discovered and device properties are resoled
    If the device provides the HW LED count, I set the HW-LED count and have it immutable.
    - When you save the config, automatically a default layout is created with the corresponding LED number.

Objective is to make it as easy as possible to set-up devices with consistent configuration going forward.

If you would like to give it a try and provide further feedback, please see here:

https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng/pull/1164

• Offizieller Beitrag

or maybe user choice to unhide when needed).

That is available already today.
    Change the Settingslevel to Expert and you will see it. You find it under the wrench at the top right of the screen...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!