1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISSUE RGB settings for more accurate colors?

Discussion in 'Software Support' started by vig1116, 4 January 2021.

1. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Another "stupid" question from the newb. lol

EDIT: I've been getting color issues that I've been trying to troubleshoot since installing. I am now thinking I need to adjust the RGB color settings. I have adjusted them a little already, and it helped, but some colors are still off.
    Are there any tricks to fine tuning the colors to match tv? Kinda like calibration tools for tv's themselves? Any test pattern type stuff? Thanks guys.

Last edited: 4 January 2021
  2. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    so, I've been playing with the rgb settings a little and I think I have it much better than initial settings. The colors match much better (except white looks light purple or light blue, but I'm reading this is normal for led strips?). Here's a screenshot of what I've come up with. If anyone has further advice or help, it's all welcomed!!!

https://ibb.co/NjZb42d

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeroen warmerdam

jeroen warmerdam Raspberry 3B / APA102 / Hyperion.NG relaisbox

Hardware:
    RPi3
    i have set it like this

play with Gamma settings>.

hypset.jpg

RGB colours i didn't alternate only this. Without Gamma alternated like this my setup on APA102 gives pale and washout colours.
    with this setting the APA102 gives strong and powerfull colours.

For WS2801 ( which i tested with) its normal that white colours is being blueish. . it has to do with how they interpret the "whites"

4. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Thank you!! I will try this out. I played with the RGB settings and it's 90% better, but not perfect. I will save my settings and try this instead!! thanks again!!

5. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Hey jeroen, I meant to ask. How do you like the APA102 compared to ws2801? I currently have the ws2812 and ordered APA102 that will be here in a few weeks. I thought the APA102 would be a much better strip now that I'm all set up.

6. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3

with these settings APA102 is really nice, better colours in especially whites/Lblue/pinks then the WS2801

I run Debian Buster full with Hyperion.NG 1 béta, that runs a little diffrent than the versions you have now.

7. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3
    later i make a short video with my setup :)

8. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    sweet. I look forward to seeing. I combined some of your settings and some of my settings and I think its pretty darn good now!!!! I'll try to get a video tonight as well

9. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3
    video is being made and i upload later today :)

10. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    I made a couple last night, but something was off. my colors were dull. I think it was due to my splitter, so I reset it. I'll try again tonight.

11. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3

then you have an idea :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    yours looks awesome!! I like how your leds look almost like the picture quality. (better than my "blurry" edges. What resolution do you have your leds set to in Hyperion? I have mine set to 720x480. Anything higher and the motion was slightly off. My videos below aren't the best. it looks a lot better in person, but I am having instances where I need to reboot my RasPi and splitter or else the colors are monotone mostly.

Last edited: 9 January 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. satfan

satfan New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Hi,
    I have to finetune my APA 102 as well. Partly because of my golden wall.
    The Hyperion App at my mobile let me play around with the effekts but not with RGB,GAMA ect.
    How do you make the calibration. I missed as well the funktionality of the old Hypercon.jar at the webinterface,
    where I can see live changes of the values. Thx !

14. vig1116

vig1116 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    I use a computer web browser, so im not familiar with any mobile app, but I find them in: configuration- image processing

15. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3

I don't have that setting because i run hyperion.NG Béta 1.00 > its automatic/ you can't set but my converter streams a 1080p video to the grabber for the highest quality but grabber itself is capable of maximum of 720p I think that, the higher the input grabber quality is the most beautiful the colours will be on the LEDs. :)
    Maybe I will get an other one ready for 4k but I will see haha

if motion is a little off, check settings

decimation
    resolution
    PAL setting
    raise the arm setting on the raspi, this setting will increase CPU clock speed (overclock )
    make sure that in your USB caption you have NO black borders, every black line that you haven't cropped there will result in pale colours or no colour at all

and thanks , i did my best :)

Last edited: 10 January 2021
  16. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3

what Vig said;

go to localIP:8090 >> thats ip adres of your raspi with port 8090

in this webUI you can do all the settings in Hyperion.NG

17. satfan

satfan New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    I know the web interface. I made all the setups there. But I did not find a live view. If I change somethin in Image processing/Color channel adjustments, I have to save it all the time. there is no realtime view. That is what I miss

18. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3

haha its there guy, in right upper corner of webUI there's a square> press it to go to LED visualisation.
    you see the Hyperion logo on the left, but then right corner.

most of changes that you make in settings are vissible in led visualisation, this only displays the image Hyperion receives from the grabber and maybe extra settings in configuration that you made

goodluck man.

19. satfan

satfan New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    missunderstanding ... Thats the view of the LEDs. What I would like is a color wheel or something. That I see changes directly at the leds to fintune the colors.
    thx

20. jeroen warmerdam

Hardware:
    RPi3
    maybe we are not on the same page, but to finetune the colours between your tv screen and grabber/leds>
    just simply compare the two when the leds is running, and make the adjustment in webUI at the same time.

i can not explain it any different

Last edited: 9 January 2021