1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDR & HDR 1080p/4k capable setup with Hyperion-NG for Media Center

Discussion in 'Hyperion Setup Showcase' started by Awawa, 27 July 2020.

1. pho08

pho08 Member

hi awawa and thanks for your work!

this works quite well for me. combined with adjustments to the v4lctl this produces a preview picture in hyperion which comes pretty close to the original on screen.

at least in well-lit scenes. when things go dark however the colors of my apa102 stripe have a strong green bias. even though the preview picture still looks fine.

so i suppose this has something to do with my setup/config as i am still struggling with USB capture in low light scenes in general (where the LEDs are either too bright and dont turn off at all or they start flickering when they're just at the threshhold of turning off)

2. shokwaav

shokwaav New Member

How do I know if I'm using YUY2 or MJPEG encoding? Otherwise, the colours seem to work great on the live video feed. Waiting for my LED strips to come in.

3. Tyler983

Tyler983 Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +PhilipsHue
    @Awawa I finally installed Hyper HDR on a clean sd with raspbian lite. Now when I try to connect via browser to the Hyperion ng web gui, nothing happens... it seems no Hyperion installed. What to do? Thx for the answer and the patience

4. pclin

pclin Active Member

Hardware:
    +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    With v4l2-ctl --all you can see the currently used settings.

greetings pclin

• Like Like x 1
  5. shokwaav

shokwaav New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems YUY2 HDR capture is working for me!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tyler983

Tyler983 Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +PhilipsHue
    Can i ask what kind of grabber you own? I have an ezcap269 with apa102 but i'm still trying to make it funcion
    In the hyperion ng web gui i can see the screen preview, but leds are always off...

7. shokwaav

shokwaav New Member

My setup is:
    • Raspberry Pi 4 running rasbian buster lite
    • Compiled Hyperion.ng branch from Awawa's github (I think I did it correctly)
    • ezcap 269 connected via usb 3.0
    • Odroid C4 running CoreElec with SDR to HDR tone mapping enabled
    I haven't got my led strip in yet, but plan on using WLED.

8. Tyler983

Tyler983 Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +PhilipsHue
    Ok quite the same of mina.... so you can't tell me how to configure the ezcap in the hyperion ng web gui :(

9. shokwaav

shokwaav New Member

It's automatically detected for me and working out of the box... not sure how I can help you.

10. Tyler983

Tyler983 Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +PhilipsHue
    Well it is recognized automatically, but i have no led response. Leds are always off. How can i check what's the problem ? Do you have guys a command to start hyperion in debug mode? As i can show the log in here...

11. Tyler983

Tyler983 Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +PhilipsHue
    Anyway, with v412-ctl --all command, it give:
    -bash: v412-ctl: command not found

12. shokwaav

shokwaav New Member

How did you install Hyperion?

The easiest way is probably to download Awawa's compiled releases with wget then install with dpkg.

13. Tyler983

Tyler983 Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +PhilipsHue
    I installed awawa's fork through cyberduck and then terminal on mac. Anyway talking with him, he told to start from a classic hyperion ng installation for example Hyperbian and starting from it to know what's the problem...
    Yesterday i had this:
    I made a dmesg and i have some errors:

4.402992] uvcvideo: Failed to query (GET_INFO) UVC control 11 on unit 1: -32 (exp. 1).
    4.525377] usb 1-1.3: 3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x86
    4.590333] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio for chip BCM4345/6
    4.849994] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio for chip BCM4345/6
    4.869618] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4345/6 wl0: Mar 23 2020 02:19:54 version 7.45.206 (r725000 CY) FWID 01-88ee44ea

It seems i have a problem with the ezcap269 but i don't know how to solve it

14. mosiris

mosiris New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    I have a Dockerfile here if anyone wants to set it up using docker on a rpi4: https://github.com/malalam/docker-hyper-hdr

@Awawa Is it possible to add the sdr-to-hdr conversion to the internal capture. I am currently using my hyperionscreencap to send PC screens to hyperion.

15. Awawa

Awawa Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Technically it's possible, but the LUT table object is bind to v4l2 grabber by design, some methods are in v4l2 worker and image processor and can be accessed but the main object initialization in other module can be a pain.

16. Awawa

Awawa Member

Hardware:
    Rpi4 has just come. YUV is working perfectly. Well, YUV HDR is broken the same as MJPEG HDR and need to be repair with LUT. Image quality is much, much better.

There is small inconvenience that we cant select YUV or MJPEG in Hyperion but YUV is default option fortunately... at least for now before restart. As for performance I will post tomorrow results. There is big gain for higher resolution but if Rpi3 get USB3.0 there wouldnt be a need of upgrade to Rpi4.

As a new Hyperion release is coming I will try to build new version of HyperHDR fork based on it soon.

Last edited: 14 September 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Awawa

Awawa Member

Hardware:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. shokwaav

shokwaav New Member

I've been having an issue with my Ezcap 269 refusing to switch to YUV capture mode despite me connecting to the USB 3.0 port. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

19. Awawa

Awawa Member

Hardware:
    @shokwaav Seems that it's the old issue with Hyperion that I mentioned before:
    https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng/issues/908 (I suspect crash it's caused by yuv high framerate, it's fixed in my fork)
    Some randomness with switching between YUV and MJPEG if both are available.
    I'll try to fix it on my own as I need it too.

Last edited: 15 September 2020
  20. Awawa

Awawa Member

Hardware:
    OK, fast hotfix and new release v8.2.0.8A for multiformat grabbers (for ex. MJPEG and YUYV)
    Format encoding can be set on the grabber config page but make sure to check logs if it works for your device because driver can override it if something doesn't fit for him.
    [​IMG]

• Thank you Thank you x 1