USB Capture - Error Code 19 - Powering off LEDs

• Hello All-

New here and new to Hyperion. After some woes I got my Hyperion setup off the ground with the following hardware:

RPi4 running latest HyperBian
    NodeMCU ESP8266 running latest WLED
    WS2812's
    5V/15A PSU for nodeMCU & LEDS

This HDMI grabber: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This power brick to power my Pi & HDMI grabber: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything works great for about 5 minutes during a movie then my nodemcu/WLED is shutting down. I could tell it was a "graceful" shutdown because if I opened the WLED app rather then it telling me it was being live controlled by Hyperion, the power was just set to off for the LEDs.

I found this in the logs, appears to be the cause. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance!

• hm, as you can read in the first three lines, the grabber stops working... which settings do you use on the grabber? auto? i would try it with lower resolution settings

Thanks for the help TP! Heres a picture of my settings, I tried plugging the grabber into the Pi USB for power and it goes off almost immediately which is worse so I assume this may be a power thing although I feel like 4.8A for a Pi and an HDMI grabber should be plenty (which is what my USB brick is)

• Offizieller Beitrag

no it does not matter...but i would try to power everything from your PSU...i looked for your psu brick but a can not see how much ampere ONE usb port delivers... my guess is that the brick comes to his limits...

• no it does not matter...but i would try to power everything from your PSU...i looked for your psu brick but a can not see how much ampere ONE usb port delivers... my guess is that the brick comes to his limits...

Will do! I ran “dmesg” last night and saw several warnings related to “Under voltage detected” so I fully believe this to be a power issue. I’ll try running the pi and the grabber off the PSU

• Its only getting worse day by day it seems. It used to work for a few minutes, now the Pi is killing the grabber the second I start the instance in Hyperion. Like the LEDs light up for a second or two then go dark immediately. Because its a Pi4 it has the USB-C plug and making a sacrificial cable to tie into my PSU didn't work at all the Pi wouldn't boot. I did tie the HDMI grabber into the PSU though via micro-usb. I also tried a different grabber, same manufacturer I believe just the 1080p version instead of the 4K one I've been using and it behaved the same so I believe the issue may lie with the Pi.

This is the dmesg output on my Pi:

• Because its a Pi4 it has the USB-C plug and making a sacrificial cable to tie into my PSU didn't work at all the Pi wouldn't boot

the reason is because of smart USB-C port > it has technology in it which recognizes a fast or slow charger ( it communicates with charger how much it can draw) . If you connect a normal PSU to a USB-C connector it can not deliver the same amps ( power) then when connected to for instance a smart charger from your smartphone.

normally i would say that powering everything from one PSU is the way to go, but in this case NOT.
    i will bet you if you connect the USB-C port directly to a smartphone smartcharger that is capable of at least 1,5 Amps AND >>>> connect one or two GND pins from the RPI4 to your PSU brick the PI will boot and the undervoltage is gone.

second way te resolve this is powering the +5 volt pin and GND pin on the PI directly from your PSU powerbrick.
    although it can work option 2 i will try option 1 first.

• the reason is because of smart USB-C port > it has technology in it which recognizes a fast or slow charger ( it communicates with charger how much it can draw) . If you connect a normal PSU to a USB-C connector it can not deliver the same amps ( power) then when connected to for instance a smart charger from your smartphone.

normally i would say that powering everything from one PSU is the way to go, but in this case NOT.
    i will bet you if you connect the USB-C port directly to a smartphone smartcharger that is capable of at least 1,5 Amps AND >>>> connect one or two GND pins from the RPI4 to your PSU brick the PI will boot and the undervoltage is gone.

second way te resolve this is powering the +5 volt pin and GND pin on the PI directly from your PSU powerbrick.

Thank you! I ordered a designated "RPi4 charger" last night from amazon for $10, it claims 5.25V/3.5A, I'll go ahead and throw a jumper on some ground pins and tie into my PSU with my current setup while I await the new charger's arrival. I went back and double checked the original charger I ordered, it's a 4 port 5V/4.8A but I saw in the manual where it said once you connect 2 or more devices each port drops to 1A max but my Pi was the only thing plugged in to the charging brick so according to the manual it should be allowed up to the full 4.8A which you think would be sufficient. I'll try tying the GND pins in to my PSU though.

• the reason is because of smart USB-C port > it has technology in it which recognizes a fast or slow charger ( it communicates with charger how much it can draw) . If you connect a normal PSU to a USB-C connector it can not deliver the same amps ( power) then when connected to for instance a smart charger from your smartphone.

So I'm happy to report that tying in to the GND pins seems to certainly have stabilized my issues! I made it through the entire 7 min ambilight video on youtube without it disconnecting once! When I went back to the youtube menus though it crashed, dmesg reports under-voltage detected. I'm hoping that the new brick I have ordered will fully resolve this especially if I tie into the GND pins. I think something may be wonky with this 4-port charger i'm using may be capping each port at 1A no matter what.

Thank you both so much for the help! I cant wait to enjoy my setup now.

• source>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

USB-C devices may optionally provide or consume bus power currents of 1.5 A and 3.0 A (at 5 V) in addition to baseline bus power provision; power sources can either advertise increased USB current through the configuration channel, or they can implement the full USB Power Delivery specification using both BMC-coded configuration line and legacy BFSK-coded VBUS line.[6][11]

Connecting an older device to a host with a USB-C receptacle requires a cable or adapter with a USB-A or USB-B plug or receptacle on one end and a USB-C plug on the other end. Legacy adapters (i.e. adapters with a USB-A or USB-B plug) with a USB-C receptacle are "not defined or allowed" by the specification because they can create "many invalid and potentially unsafe" cable combinations.[14]

• Should I power via the pins then instead? sounds like USB-C is a hassle for this project, or maybe I should order a Pi3 instead and repurpose this Pi4 elsewhere?

• Should I power via the pins then instead? sounds like USB-C is a hassle for this project, or maybe I should order a Pi3 instead and repurpose this Pi4 elsewhere?

what you can do is just test the PI with his own separate smartcharger, then connect at least two GND pins from the PI to the second PSU GND to stabilize.

then your ambilight system should work on a PI4.

if this doesn't work, then you can power the RPI4 power pins directly, this way you evade the internal powercircuit IN the RPI4.
    remind you; Its on your own risk and craft

RPI3 is other resource to go at, its your decision.

• So I powered the Pi directly by the pins and the undervoltage got worse. So far the best setup has been the 4-port 4.8A brick with only the Pi hooked to it, 2 ground pins tied into my main PSU, and a seperate brick powering the HDMI grabber. It worked for a solid 20 mins with that setup. This is the most frustrating thing. It makes zero sense to me that the under voltage problem would be worse powering from my 5V/15A PSU than the smart phone charger. I guess I'll try when the new charger gets here after that I give up.

• So I powered the Pi directly by the pins and the undervoltage got worse. So far the best setup has been the 4-port 4.8A brick with only the Pi hooked to it, 2 ground pins tied into my main PSU, and a seperate brick powering the HDMI grabber. It worked for a solid 20 mins with that setup. This is the most frustrating thing. It makes zero sense to me that the under voltage problem would be worse powering from my 5V/15A PSU than the smart phone charger. I guess I'll try when the new charger gets here after that I give up.

by the looks of it your powerbrick from Amazon seems to be the culpable here, it makes no scence to me.

use a new type power>> go please for a meanwell PSU and leave this thing....... Pi's and grabbers hate AC rimples on cheap and bad PSU.
    also a smartphonecharger with USB-C has often a not really good rectifyer in it.
    Meanwell PSU have a really good power/evenly and electronicly protected clean DC

So what i would do in this case;

Buy a Meanwell PSU, and.... use only the Meanwell to power the first part of your setup. Don't use that thing ( powerbrick) anymore that you purchased on Amazon please) for your Hyperion.NG setup Pi and grabber :classy::)

then connect the grabber to the USB port of the RPI

goodluck man :)

• thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it.

I'm going to try with this RPi dedicated PSU I ordered, if that doesnt work I'll send it back and order the meanwell.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!