WLED & SK6812 - Can Turn On/Off, but Colors Don't Change/React

• Hello all, so I'm having a problem with my setup reacting correctly. I am able to turn on and off my SK6812s, but they do not react to a test pattern or the video signal (which I can see if I preview the image). When enabling their instance, they only turn on to whatever color WLED was set to previously. I assumed there may have been an option to tell Hyperion that they're SK6812s, but I could not find anything anywhere besides if you're wiring up the LEDs to be directly connected to an RPi.

As a test, I have both WS2812B and SK6812 LEDs hooked up, (NOT to each other, separate controllers.) Let me summarize the situation:

Hyperbian installed on an RPi 4, 4 GB. Hyperion version 2.0.0-alpha.9

5V 60A Mean Well power supply hooked up to two controllers (Dig-Quads with ESP32s), running WLED 0.11.1. Both controllers work exactly as expected when controlled through the WLED app. Colors, effects, dimming - all work perfectly.

1 controller is setup for SK6812 LED strip, with 576 LEDs. (What I want to use with Hyperion.)
    1 controller is setup for WS2812B LED trip, with 60 LEDs. (My test strip to make sure I'm doing this correctly.)

Both strips were added to Hyperion with 2 different instances, using the "wled" method, defining the IP addresses, and all the lights on the strips light up after defining the amount on the LED hardware tab.

The WS2812B strip reacts as expected to the screen changes, test effects, turning on/off, etc.

The SK6812 strip will only turn on and off via the "Remote Control" page on the site. Trying to set as a different color, change effects, etc. does nothing. Since they work perfect in WLED, I know it is an issue with Hyperion, and not a wiring issue. Additionally, since my WS2812B strip works as expected, I can narrow it down to the only difference - the type of LED strip.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple, I'm so close to wrapping up this project and I cannot find anything that explains this behavior when searching on the forum and Google. Thank you for any assistance!

I've attached the debug txt file as well.

• WLED (UDP) supports only 490 LED's.

regards pclin

• Offizieller Beitrag

@johndabeast You can find more background on the WLED website, too:

https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED/wiki/UDP-Realtime-Control

Hyperion You can now use WLED with the popular Ambilight software Hyperion. Just configure Hyperion to use an UDP device with protocol 0 on port 19446! The maximum number of LEDs supported in this mode is 490. (WLED 0.8.0 and lower: 341)
    (Bearbeitet)

Plus the rationale by WLED-Developer Aircoookie:
    Aircoookie Feb '20 Hi Maik, unfortunately the 490 LED is a hard limit. The reason is that the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted via a UDP frame at once is 1472 bytes (and we need 3 bytes data per LED). You could try to increase UDP_IN_MAXSIZE in wled07_notify.ino, maybe the 8266 (or at least ESP32) can handle larger UDP packets by reassembling the frames, but I wouldn’t count on it.

You could build your own WLED or live with the limitation....

• You can use 2 ESP with WLED and the corresponding LED layout.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• WLED (UDP) supports only 490 LED's.

regards pclin

I KNEW it was something simple and stupid I overlooked, gahhhh! Thank you so much, changing it to less than 490 makes it work!

Lord-Grey, thank you for sharing this tidbit, you saved me the time of researching to see if that was changeable. I especially like that you included a statement from Aircookie himself.

You can use 2 ESP with WLED and the corresponding LED layout.

regards pclin

I was about to debate buying a bunch of 60 LED/m strips and delaying finishing this project even longer, and then you suggested this genius option. This is perfect, thank you!

I appreciate all the thorough help from both of you. Can't wait to get this finished and calibrated.

One last thing, @pclin, what did you mean for me to see by your screenshot? Are those the recommended WLED settings for use with Hyperion?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!