x265 (HEVC) lagging ? bug ?

• Hello,

I have read on github that the hyperion typically uses below 1,5% of CPU load. The interesting fact is that running hyperion along with playing x265 HEVC (720p) coded video in my case means totally lagging and delayed image instead of smooth play when hyperion is not running.

My question is. Is this really caused by a lack of 1,5% of CPU load for decoding the video ? Or it can be a possible bug ?

Using raspberry pi 3 model B+ with most recent version of OSMC.
    Yes, I have tried overclocking the CPU but it seems like the more I overclock the CPU the worse the lags are, while running hyperion. My hyperion config is attached.

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

would be interessting if it is the same if you use spi...how do you play the video? with kodi?
    edit: with osmc... saw it to late :)

• It's probably because the CPU is decoding the video AND writing to the display.

Hyperion is also trying to grab from the display

Yes, ofc. But if it is really just 1,5% needed by hyperion. Then why the overclocking is not helping ? (even overclocking to 1350MHz does not make any difference :( :( )

would be interessting if it is the same if you use spi...how do you play the video? with kodi?
    edit: with osmc... saw it to late :)

Unfortunately, have no SPI LED strip :(

• Sorry - I didn't write all of my thought!

Hyperion is also trying to grab from the display ... and maybe there is IO contention.

What happens if you drop the capture rate ?

I have tried lowering the update frequency from 60 to 40Hz (if that is what you meant) and it actually helps a lot but the video is totally smooth on 15Hz, where LED color change lags can be seen.

Edit: If you meant the Frame Grabber interval, changing it to higher value has no effect on playing video.

• Did you monitor your CPU load during playback? I never tried hevc but as software decode this could be heavy.
    Smoothing of 25-30 should be enough for smooth output. Also the default value of 10 frames per second for your frame grabber should be enough.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!