Nothing from the LEDs using Hyperbian, APA102 (5v) + RPi Zero W

• Hi,

This is my first post here and i'm very stuck with my setup.

I get nothing from the LEDs (APA102) running Hyperbian on an RPi Zero W. I have enabled SPI on the Pi and have the Data into the LED strip connected to GPIO10 (SPI_MOSI) and the Clock line to GPIO11 (SPI_SCLK). Everything is being power my a 5v 10A power supply but both the Pi and the LED strip have a direct connection to the power and share the ground on a breadboard.

I just don't get any activity on the LED strip. I've tested the voltage with a multimeter and both the clock line and data line are showing 5v, which I don't think is a good thing.

Any direction would be appreciated, my current guess is i've done something the the strip to break it.

Thanks.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Sam Rowley ()

• I have just trimmed the first couple of LEDs of the start of the strip and flashed a D1 Mini with WLED for the APA102 and the LEDs work great, I still get nothing from the Pi.

• Then, Hyperion service isn't running when booting up so in terminal type hyperiond and then enter

you can go to SSH terminal with putty ( its a program) but only works when SSH option is enabled on your PI
    you can find that in sudo raspi-config

first do the settings with an HDMI cable to your monitor

• Then, Hyperion service isn't running when booting up so in terminal type hyperiond and then enter

you can go to SSH terminal with putty ( its a program) but only works when SSH option is enabled on your PI
    you can find that in sudo raspi-config

first do the settings with an HDMI cable to your monitor

I'm using Hyperbian and can see Hyperion running at the IP address of the Pi on port 8090, just get nothing from the LEDs. SPI is enabled.

I get the following when putting in the command:

2020-12-05T20:53:45.653 hyperiond MAIN : <ERROR> The Hyperion Daemon is already running, abort start

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Sam Rowley ()

• I'm using Hyperbian and can see Hyperion running at the IP address of the Pi on port 8090, just get nothing from the LEDs. SPI is enabled.

you where not really clear about your installation and progress but nevermind..

go to section remote controll and turn off section smoothing, if leds coming on now then you need an update.

if not its probably something in Led settings thats not okay.

when hyperion boots up you have to see the startup effect ( rainbow) if not then something is wrong

• Why does this matter? I'm under the impression that supplying power to the Pi via the USB gives you protection via the onboard fuse?

its not we are only here to help others that are struggling with their installation.
    sometimes power faillures happening when powered with USB port.

grounding is very important for the ledstrip, so if i was you i ground everything together. Also directly from your pins!

• its not we are only here to help others that are struggling with their installation.
    sometimes power faillures happening when powered with USB port.

grounding is very important for the ledstrip, so if i was you i ground everything together. Also directly from your pins!

Sorry, was genuinely curious, not being confrontational. I do appreciate you taking your time to reply. as you can see from the images they are grounded together on the breadboard. All +5v and gnd connections are common.

I'm using the stock settings for the LEDs for APA102 inside Hyperion, I don't see anything on lights when I startup. I thinking something may be broke with the RPi, but i'm inexperienced with this.

• Sorry, was genuinely curious, not being confrontational. I do appreciate you taking your time to reply. as you can see from the images they are grounded together on the breadboard. All +5v and gnd connections are common.

I'm using the stock settings for the LEDs for APA102 inside Hyperion, I don't see anything on lights when I startup. I thinking something may be broke with the RPi, but i'm inexperienced with this.

no problem :)

can you make an screenshot of your settings in led settings ?

• so SPI is working then, did you turn off smooting option in Hyperion
    ?

Troubleshooting
    Loopback test
    This can be used to test SPI send and receive. Put a wire between MOSI and MISO. It does not test CE0 and CE1.

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.…ntation/spi/spidev_test.c
    gcc -o spidev_test spidev_test.c
    ./spidev_test -D /dev/spidev0.0
    spi mode: 0
    bits per word: 8
    max speed: 500000 Hz (500 KHz)

FF FF FF FF FF FF
    40 00 00 00 00 95
    FF FF FF FF FF FF
    FF FF FF FF FF FF
    FF FF FF FF FF FF
    DE AD BE EF BA AD
    F0 0D

• Yes, smoothing is turned off and I have a live preview on the stream from a Firestick that I can see inside Hyperion. As far as I can see i'm not doing anything wrong.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!