RPi 4 and ws2813 flashing

• I'm building my hyperion project on Pi4 with ws2813 ledstrip but when everything is set led keep flashing white randomly.

lLed are powered from powerful psu and grounded together the pi4. Voltage is correct and it has enough A to power all strip at maximum consumption.

Data wire are connected through logic level shifter. I'm using spi connection, gpio 10 pin 19 and gpio 11 pin 23, because un using pwm for audio output.

Hyperion is running ad video grabber work fine. Even if I set plain color effect led stil flashing randomly white.

I tried different configurations on led controller since ws2813 doesn't have a setup but evereithing keep flashing white

Any suggestions?

• did you ground the logic level shifter correct?

There's schematics here how to connect a logic level shifter, look into my old posts

Goes also for Pi3 ofcourse

• First of all i'm sure 90 on 100 the blinking is a software problem, in some different config they keep firm on white.

btw now i like to understand something. I read all the topic and i have few question.

Does the level shifter break the ground connection between the 5v led and pi4? so i need a direct ground from led to pi4?

Pi4 use USB C because it run more A than other usb standard. So if i get a usb c plug and connect to the led psu i should menage to power Pi at 3a using the same led psu? This way i'm still using protection circuit.

Now i give it a try with a stronger ground connection but if doesn't solve the problem?

Actually i''m wondering with one is the best config since there are no ws2813 listed in the led options

• there are two schematics on the thread,

1, only one PSU schematic with level shifter

2, two separate PSU schematic with level shifter

look at GND connections first is my advice exactly like the schematics shows.

and to post a picture of your setup can't hurt ;)

• I made some test. The big issue was to wire properly ws2813 then led start to work.

I tryed classic config with gpio 18 and the work perfect. When i swap to gpio 10 led start with the test then they blink randomly or stay firm white.

I would stay on gpio 18 but i'm using audio output for shairport so i need different option.

Any suggestion?

• Actually i''m wondering with one is the best config since there are no ws2813 listed in the led options

i think thats also the problem for the build-in SPI controller in Hyperion.NG, the strip is not recognizing the controller'

the strip only detects the ws281X controller on PWM it seems, so you have to run on PWM

you have to first do something else.

You need to run hyperion as root with this configuration (device 'ws281x) PWM

go to your terminal

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/hyperiond@.service

Remove the User sessionline and save with CTRL+O and exit CTRL+x.

Don't forget to reboot…

after this select a diffrent PWM GPIO, i never rumbled with this so you have to find out for yourself

it has to be on GPIO ( not GPIO 18) and in Hyperion.NG settings not PWM0

• I'll give it a try but i read everywhere the pi4 run audio output on pwm so you must disable it if you wont to run something else

Code
    PWM

Since this library and the onboard Raspberry Pi audio both use the PWM, they cannot be used together.

If i don't find a way i'm thinking to go with esp8266 wifi to control them so i overcome any gpio problem.

Anyway I'll share the results if i made it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!