Help Please - BTF-LIGHTING WS2815 with Pi4 12V

• Hi All,

I hope you are doing well and maybe willing to help me a bit please.

I am using WS2815 GRB LEDs 646 of them around my projection screen. I have a large 12V dedicated power supply (powering both ends of lights).

I am using a raspberry pi 4 (also powered by the PSU). I am using the latest version of Hyperion too. I am using GPIO 18.

My issues is that when the pi boots I get a solid (still) rainbow of color all almost all the way around, and there nothing more.

The lights say that way no matter what I try. The logs show it is communicating correctly, but no LED response.

Thank you for any kindness you can offer.

• Hello!

I think you'll need to share more detail on your setup for someone to help you troubleshoot, starting with your power setup. If you're running 12V straight the rPi4 - which is a 5V device - that's a big problem, and is dangerous.

I'm relatively new to Hyperion as well but will try to help if/where I can.

• (1) Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2019 Quad Core 64 Bit WiFi Bluetooth (4GB)

(1) ALITOVE AC 110V/220V to DC 12V 30A 360W Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply Transformer Adapter LED Driver for LED Strip

(1) PlusRoc Waterproof 12V/24V to 5V Converter DC-DC Step Down Module Power Adapter (From PSU to Pi)

(3) BTF-LIGHTING WS2815 (Upgraded WS2812B) 16.4ft 300 Pixels Magic Dream Color Individually Addressable RGB LED Flexible Strip Light 5050 SMD Dual Signal IP30 Non-Waterproof DC12V Black PCB

Using PIN 12 (GPIO 18) for data and PIN 6 for ground.

• Thanks!

I figured you had to be stepping down voltage for the Pi to even be running but wanted to confirm :)

Given all this, I think the power/wiring is likely fine but I am curious if you have a level shifter in place to step up the data voltage? If you're seeing the startup rainbow it may not be necessary but generally a good idea, at least for 5V setups.

It's good that you see the startup colors but since they stay that way, I don't think Hyperion sees your video source. Can you see your capture device and video source in Hyperion when setting up your LED layout? If not, please share your video source and capture hardware setup and we can see if that's a problem.

In the meantime, on the software side, here are a few key things to do if you haven't already:

• Set Hyperion to run as root.
      Use "sudo updateHyperionUser -u root" either via SSH or from rPi console directly. I think there are more ways to do this but this seems to be the most common.
    • Edit the cmdline.txt file on your SD card to extend the SPI bus.
      Add "spidev.bufsize=1024000 " to the end of the cmdline.txt file, making sure to include the space at the end. If you haven't already done this, it will likely fix the rainbow colors not lighting up the whole way around your screen.
    • Check config.txt on your SD card that both "dtparam=spi=on" and "dtparam=audio=off" are uncommented/enabled.

I hope this helps!

• Thank you for the help, unfortunately same results.

I installed the level shifter if you mean a Logic Level Converter 3.3V to 5V. Same results there.

I also followed your suggestions on what to edit in the two config files too.

Again, all it does it boot up and I get a solid and static rainbow color around the screen. No errors in the log other than, "2023-11-03T20:51:34.566Z [DAEMON] (ERROR) Lock/unlock handler- Session bus is not connected" as I understand that this is normal if you do not have a monitor connected to it.

I also tried a Raspberry Pi 3 with the same results, so I believe the Pi is okay, and I think the PSU is okay. It is powering 656 LEDs total.

If you or anyone else is willing to help me more in detail, I can try to pay you something for the help. Just so upset about all this.

• Sorry to hear that didn’t work for you but there’s still more to look at.

Based on what you’ve said, I also think your wiring, etc. is fine and since you see the rainbow, the rPi is controlling the LEDs so it seems to me the problem is your capture hardware/setup and/or your Hyperion configuration.

Can you please share your video source and capture hardware setup and we can see if that's a problem?

I also have a projector setup, mainly for gaming, my setup is:

• Xbox and PS5 > AVR (Denon) > Gofanco Prophecy splitter/scaler > generic USB 2.0 HDMI capture stick > rPi3A > ws2812b around 120” screen.

It’ll be helpful to know your hardware as any of the items in this chain could be the problem (in my case the Gofanco is my third splitter - the first two wouldn’t work). I still want to confirm if Hyperion is getting your video source. Can you see your capture device and video source (click “live video”) in Hyperion when setting up your LED layout?

I’m happy to continue helping as best I can and you definitely don’t need to pay me anything. I just hope we can get this working for you.

Cheers!

• Well, thank you again for the help. I just want it working at the basic level before even getting to the capture card. From my understanding that when the Pi boots Hyperion there is some animation with the lights. There is none for me.

Using the App does nothing as when I tell it to change the color or start an effect, the app will show what it is wanting to do… and even the logs show it received the command and produced the output… but the LEDs just stay in the rainbow pattern.

No matter what I try telling the Pi to change the color… nothing.

I honestly think we need to fix my wiring or something first before we even get to the capture card.

Here is more information.

The PSU is sending the 12v to both sides of the LEDs. I am using one side for data. The side I am using is connected with the main data lead only (and the backup data wire is not used).

On the side of the LEDs using the data line, the ground for the LEDS there is runs to the ground on the Pi and the ground on the PSU (connecting the pi, LEDs, and PSU ground together)

The other side of the LEDs is just power and ground going to another pair of screw post on the PSU.

Hope this helps more.

• No problem, we can work with what you have for now.

In terms of wiring, I'm attaching a diagram of my build for reference, maybe something will stand out compared to your wiring.

My current build is using ws2812b but that shouldn't make much difference other than the backup data on your strip (and my multiple power injections). I will add that my data line is kept very short, around 2', so if you have a very long run for your data, that could be an issue.

I too am using multiple ground terminals on my PSU, I have no issues with grounding, etc. You could try bringing all the grounds together before they connect to the PSU on one ground terminal. This shouldn't matter as the ground rails on the PSU should all be connected but you never know.

If you consistently get static rainbow colors on start up, all LEDs lighting up, then I'm leaning more towards the way Hyperion is configured as the issue. Typically, if wiring is the problem you get nothing at all, flickering, only some LEDs responding, etc.

What have you done so far to set up Hyperion using the web interface? You must have done most of these things to be where you're at, but just in case, have you:

• Switched Hyperion into Advanced or Expert mode
    • Set GPIO to 18 using ws281x/PWM
    • Enabled/selected a startup effect
    • Set your LED layout/count and starting LED
    • Enabled Internet API Access

Within the web interface, can you set a background effect and get any result?

If you change the startup effect and reboot, does anything happen?

Another thing to try is to bring up the live view of your LEDs in the web interface and then change the colors using the app. Even if the lights don't react, they should change color in the live view window (if all is properly set up) letting you know Hyperion is working as it should.

Good luck!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!