Beiträge von rcarmichael

Thank you for your reply @theolvit.

I've got all my source devices running in another room which means my mounted TV is the only thing on the wall - a very clean look!

That's what I got it down to; I did read that I should move the resistor closer to the first LED (it is currently at the PSU side), and use a single LED every 2m length to act as a repeater of sorts.

TBH, that was more work than it was worth so I've ended up just running a HDMI cable to the RPi4/USB Input device which I've mounted behind the TV and so far its working well. Not exactly what I wanted, but the result LOOKs the same anyway!

Good evening all,

I've been searching the forums and found some similar posts, but was wondering if anyone smarter than me can have a look at my setup and tell me where the most likely culprit is to continue my troubleshooting:

I currently have 291 W2812B RGB LEDs powered by a 5v 14A Power Supply (I know this is underpowered, but I have lowered my maximum brightness to 70% which should compensate). They are run from two sides (with ONLY the data line connected in the middle - not sure if I should still connect positive and ground in this case?)

The PSU has a capacitor attached and the data line a resistor as per. best practice. Running on a RPi through GPIO Pin 18 with ground attached between it and the PSU, it works great. For completeness: I am also using a USB Input device, though I doubt this is the issue.

My issue is, I am trying to run the LEDs in another room; 3x 5 meter 18 AWG Cables (which I believe may be the culprit, as they are too small? What gauge should I be going for, 16?) connect the power from the 14A PSU and the data line. They are currently connected using WAGOs for ease in troubleshooting, which I guess could also be a failure point. When connected using these 5m cables instead of directly to the PSU/RPi (apx. 5 cm over similar gauge cable) the LEDs will randomly flicker.

At first I thought this might be a power issue, but I dropped my max brightness all the way to 1% and was still getting the flicker.

If anyone could help me narrow down what the issue is and how I can rectify it, I would greatly appreciated it!

Sincere regards,

Ryan

Hello all,

Just getting into RPi & Hyperion; currently setting up all the required hardware.

I wish to turn off the LEDs via Google Assistant/Alexa; as I wanted to only use one Pi I'm trying to stay away from Home Assistant.

My thought was to use a TUYA Smart Plug to turn off power to the LEDs PSU (probably separate from the Pi's PSU).

However, on Adafruits "Best Practice" it states:

• Avoid connecting NeoPixels to a live circuit. If you simply must, always connect ground first, then +5V, then data. Disconnect in the reverse order.
    • If powering the pixels with a separate supply, apply power to the pixels before applying power to the microcontroller.

...does this stay true for a RPi Hyperion setup? What issues could using a Smart Plug cause?

If ill-advised, what other suggestions do you have to integrate smart control?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!