Beiträge von David Hequet

Improvement!

I replaced the big white box with a custom wooden box

with backdoor :)

the large wooden plank is wedged between the parquet and the wall (almost) preventing everything from moving

before playing with led layoutAnd like any super villain i have my secret button :)

Here is my setup

- pi zero

- logitech c270 camera

- apa102 (only 80 leds)

- 4 meters cable between leds and pi zero

- woodeen frame

All made of spare part, on my older TV i had an hyperion setup with pi zero, usb grabber + splitter.

I changed because of two reasons

1. new TV, PS5, HDMI 2.1 : i didn't want compromise on HDMI flux and cheap 2.1 splitters doesn't exist
    2. Always add problems. sometimes grabber or splitter stop working for a second or mire. I restarded Hyperion instance 3 times a day. Sometime image stopped from beeing on TV

A wooden frame, pi zero in the old box containing all grabbers/splitters, hdmi cables.. He has planty of room now

Why the frame? Because ma TV is far from the wall (my room looks like a slice of pizza)

With the frame the lefty led strip can light up the left wall

Say hello to the camera

The green button switch on/off the system

The cable from pi to leds is hiddent between the floor and the wall. But it works with ESP8266 too.

Honestly, I thought the result would be "blah" and I am pleasantly surprised :

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com

Next step :

• Replace the big white box with a small wood box to fit pi zero + webcam
    • Bring the button closer to the couch avoid moving the camera by error when swichting off

More infos here (camera tweaks, long cable):

Hi, i didn't tried the solution mentionned above because i switched from a disconneting grabber to webcam as input device.

Video from last night, switching to camera was a good idea :)

Externer Inhalt youtu.be

luchow3cu setting saturation was a good idea, my C270 settings from v4l2-ctl -L command:

i will make a new video of the result tonight

L'autre solution possible, moins précise niveaux couleurs, mais ne dégradant pas le signal HDMI est d'utiliser une webcam connectée au pi zéro pour filmer l'écran.

C'est la solution que j'ai mis en place depuis une semaine, j'ajuste encore un peu les paramètres de la caméra mais j'en suis super content!

Quelques photos et vidéo (j'ai une calibration de mieux en mieux la)

Si je n'avais pas la possibilité de cacher le câble entre le pi et les leds j'aurai utilisé un esp32. Enfin peuit-être que je modifierai ca quand j'aurai envi de bricoler de nouveau

dave c'est compliqué l'ESP32 ? Tu aurais un tuto quelquepart? Merci

luchow3cu very nice result too! Did you keep the camera default setting (auto exposure..) ?

i can see no lag from the esp8266! Luckily i have a place to hide the cable from pi to led so i don't need it

Do you believe it could work witha 4-5 meters distance?

thanks guys

I think it can work, but the camera will capture a large zone and more light arround the TV.

So switching between bright/dark scene will take more time.

And i think you will need higher camera resolution (used 320*240 in my case)

If you have a raspberry pi and a spare webcam you can give it a try without led :

• install hyperion
    • plug the camera
    • virtually add led to hyperion config / configure the layout to match your tv place
    • Use the video preview from hyperion to see what happen and how leds react to image
      • Play with camera parameters from ssh command interface
      • V4l2-ctl -L list your camera adjustable parameters
      • Example to adjust camera brightness : v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl=brightness=150
      • Default parameters are loaded on systeme startup
      • Follow this to set your parameters on startup/camera plug : https://askubuntu.com/a/958927/1215945
    • If you think that the camera see your TV good enough, buy the leds :)

Hyperion.ng made testing much more useable than the older hyperion+hypercon. you can try lots of config :)

I think you can even try just with hyperion on windows if you don't have a pi.

I finished my installation!

I'm trying to find the best camera settings for movies at night, and yes, there is color wash between bright/dark scene.

I think the camera can't be configured for both scene.

In my case it will be enough since my priority is on screen image. And my TV stand far from (an "elephant grey") wall leds lights will be mixed when they hit the wall. Acurate colors is very difficult in my case. Plus i add 25% backlight in my config. Leds never stop

n6T-kavei_nTeP4ZYHAYc6yeDl34TxwM7cQBlDkxqz0w4teQPb59Lz1K68U394k5_UVzxkZkAgOVd-0-of58XGR4RnF9fyv8CgpSbI3B35IwOquVLYQaIDIpRyYzZDfqOBgwD1uQZyglhUjI0A2KQliAQjy-KiQFTsdLGUoiTnBRTN7LP3rNZ8TshXpl9HZrUS5fAGOJ-l1aKtXZcuIASXWJnTd8qaiQ0yz2SLblfc9hsE4lV7ZDmmzAKTcphXNbFbAKgxCiZ2YcLF9NiU6dartHtXNC8FDzjRAe-CWwf92ZEKoD8xCASyDmtbj7sxnKVQlM5YdSqF4MrOnetfpD7u_yuzxmWVnCGek_2V3FkVxKvzlpTpTGi55E3njNuSCuxapgUQmTO5dy_PisGeOVvfzQU0XC1NX356vh000y7WzwRH251AVbEk1wlkoq8YXaQMKflxT9b1S2luPYGRUPMvpixGoX9HbPGvtDAxFHBzuzRPQd_QXkIR_0i12nTeO6MyH5k0tMosPp4p1zu0O3KSPlz3yAo4OKULEbMEivUMHB6-I1yMbPUIktRRNqSO4sjF14PaRkHB6Rulll-XJ2jHdAholskncUP0ZChdoGGwg1WLFTR1yBcycF1eod18CjNQkp0D-x4Azp0OwCbEwD9iufYX7bpZgXirTiUu29NyUv-zoNYVNl27mEsdmrbf9gIB-5xkV-AL-gJc7Jeui8l4L5=w946-h1261-no?authuser=0

you can see results on dark scene here :

https://youtu.be/1NhSNdxoXkQ

https://youtu.be/jyh6tAEyC6M

Colors are betters in real life than the footages from my phone, i filmed what the camera preview from hyperion is seeing too.

Basic idea :

• Spare webcam with pi zero at approx 2 meters from the TV
    • Long cable from pi zero to leds
    • Leds not glued to tv but on a wood frame put on the TV stand (my TV has a 15° angle with the wall)

Why camera:

• Bad experience with grabber disconnecting, bad hdmi connexion..
    • Don't want to compromise on HDR/SDR, 2.1 HDMI with ps5..

what i tested:

• webcam with pi 3 at approx 2 meters from my old TV with glued leds from previous grabber Hyperion installation using the long webcam's usb cable
      • Worked like a charme but was not very WAF
      • Didn't notice lag (but just tried one night)
      • Colors were not as accurate as grabber solution
    • tested a long 3 meters cable between pi3 and leds controlling led via web app

Need to

• Build the frame
    • unglue leds and make rebuild bigger "rectangle" (switched from 50" TV to 55")
    • Test another spare webcam with pi zero
    • put webcam and pi zero together in a box
    • hide the long cable
    • some color calibration (but i don't need super accuracy)
    • enjoy

Ambivision seems good, but i have a lot of spare part to use :)

Yes, i tested with an old webcam on a movie night, seem better than pi camera for that too. Didn't notice the delay.

I used chinese splitter/grabber and worked like a charm too, but with time splitter and/or grabber randomly stop.

Now i have an HDR TV + PS5 and i think i will build my setup with the webcam (wich need some calibrating too) instead of degrading the TV signal.

Thank you