Beiträge von icefire

Version : V1.03.3 (brindosch-2fbbcff/2f01dfa-1495880388

Ok. It's officially not the SD card.

First of all, the current SD card had no errors:

Secondly, I tried with another brand new SD card - still the same.

And finally, I tried all different OSMC Versions (2017.07-1, 2017.06-1, 2017.05.2) and it was still the same. However, one I installed the March version 2017.03-1 it worked like it used to. No problem with hyperion.

So clearly there is something in the newer versions of OSMC that lets hyperion crash the system.

Any help would be much appreciated....

So I have been using Hyperion with OSMC and Kodi for a few months with no real problem.
    After the last Kodi update the system couldn't boot anymore and showed a lot of ext-4-fs errors (journal interrupted):

So I thought that the SD Card is damaged. Removing it and trying to fix it on another system with fsck brought nothing. So I reinstalled everything using OSMC 2017.07-1 and it all worked - until I installed hyperion.

If hyperion is running - the system cannot boot, there are ext4-fs errors, connection vis SSH is impossible, the system is completely unresponsive. If I remove the SD card and delete the configuration file from /etc/hyperion, so that the service cannot start, everything works fine.

Once I put the json file back, everything crashes again.

I have not changed the json file since February. It seems that something makes hyperion incompatible with the new OSMC release...

Any help would be much appreciated.... Thank you!

Ok, so I tried the above solution: https://hyperion-project.org/wiki/3-Wire-PWM

The new setup without arduino and with no level shifter worked but there was no improvement regarding the black screen flashes. However, I tried doubling the frame grabber resolution:

Code
    "framegrabber" :
        {
            "width" : 130, //instead of 65
            "height" : 76, //instead of 38
            "frequency_Hz" : 10.0,
            "priority" : 890
        },

And it seems to work. I have not experienced any screen flashes ever since I did this. I am not marking the thread as solved just yet because this is a first impression, I have to analyze some more.

In the meantime it would like to ask why doubling the screen resolution results in no flashes.. maybe it is easier for the Pi to define the LED colors from a bigger frame?

Does dropping the franegrabber resolution help ?

I wonder if there's IO contention

No, it didn't, but I must confess that I do not understand the parameters. I tried the following configurations:

Option 1: horizontal and vertical LED count. Result: A lot of screen flashing

Code
    "framegrabber" :
        {
            "width" : 65,
            "height" : 38,

Option 2: Default setting 64x64. Result: Intermittent flashing.

Code
    "framegrabber" :
        {
            "width" : 64,
            "height" : 64,

Option 3: Reducing the resolution in half. Result: It works only for the bottom right corner

Code
    "framegrabber" :
        {
            "width" : 32,
            "height" : 32,

What is height and width? Pixels? LEDs? Percent? I couldn't find much info on the wiki page.

No matter what media I am playing, the hyperiond process takes no more than 2,5% CPU usage. Kodi needs about 45% for a 720p video (ex. shot with the a phone camera) and 70% for a BluRay. So I guess the bottleneck is not CPU power.. What could it be?

So I have been trying to make the following setup work:

- RPi 3 + Arduino Uno
    - 189 WS2812B LED
    - 5V 20A PSU
    - no external grabber, I want it working just with Kodi
    - the RPi is powered through the GPIO pins from the LED PSU. One external HDD is connected to the Pi.

With hyperion stopped movie playback is completely normal. When I start hyperion the ambilight works fine but the screen flashes black every second or so - as if the RPi was struggling to play the movie. The screen turns completely black and the ambilight does not get interrupted. Sometimes there are longer periods without flashing but I cannot find out what causes them.

I tried disabling the black border detection but it didn't help.
    It is actually pretty much impossible to turn it off as commenting out the whole black border section of the config file does nothing and the top LEDs remain on despite the top and bottom black border.

Further analysis showed that the screen starts flashing only with larger videos (ex. BluRay Playback). If I play a movie with a lower resolution or if I stream youtube videos everything is fine. Could it be that Kodi+BluRay and Hyperion are simply too much for a RPi 3 to handle?

Any ideas?

Here is my configuration file (with black border detection):