Beiträge von medic459

Ah ha!!!! Now it makes sense...
    So using nodemcu lets me put the pi anywhere and then use wifi to transmit the LED control/info to the nodemcu to control the lights.
    So...if I was already planning to mount the pi on the back of the tv, then I can/should just do HDMI Capture -> Pi -> LEDs for a simple config?

Thank you for your replies but....None of that answers my original question:
    That 3 part tutorial is awesome and I'll probably end up doing it that way but....once again:
    Some projects seem to just use a Raspberry Pi + Hyperion to grab video (hdmi -> rca -> usb -> pi) and then use the onboard pins to control the lights.
    [why] are the NodeMCU ESP8266/WLED components needed? Can't the pi control the LEDs?

Thank you for your replies: 100% of my tv source is passed through my [home theater] receiver so I have a single HDMI source/input to the tv.
    In this case, do I need the Arduino or another SOC or can I just use my spare Pi?
    HDMI -> Pi -> hyperion -> LEDs?

I've been reading up, trying to find a good tutorial to get started with, but the more I read, the more I see different options. Here's what I think I understand so far...

Ambilight
    - project to put up pretty lights behind a tv sync'd to the video content.
    Hyperion - software that takes a video input and determines what colors and where to turn set the lights to.
    esp8266/esp32/nodemcu/Arduino - SoC/microprocessors and the firmware that control them, that is used to connect to the lights?
    WLED - software that runs on esp8266/esp32 boards that controls LEDs.
    WS2812B/WS2811/SK6812/APA102 etc. etc. - LED lights

Some projects seem to just use a Raspberry Pi + Hyperion to grab video (hdmi -> rca -> usb -> pi) and then use the onboard pins to control the lights.

So - what are the esp chips/WLED needed for? Is it just to add the ability to use wifi to control the lights?

I want simplicity as most of my projects get overly complicated and either fail to work as intended or take 10x as long as they should to complete. I have a spare Pi 3 B+ and I have a TV...What do I need to get an simple ambilight project working? I just want to turn on the tv and have nice/sync'd lights.

Also, there are dizzying amount of LED lights out there....is there a general consensus for the best ones to use?

Thanks in advanced...