Beiträge von Ambientheater77

It appears to be working now. I disabled "smoothing" and the lights turned on and started working

pull request is still not implemented in Hyperion 2.09 Alpha Lord-Grey ?

seems the problem is there still in the build?

its only a question ofcourse :)

Quote from MrMoosieMan When I go to the directory "/etc/systemd/system" directory I do NOT see a file named "hyperiond@.service"

you have to do that in SSH/terminal > if you go directly to desktop GUI of the PI then CTRL+h shows hidden folders.

i looked in mine and its empty too, i think that its not implemented and therefor necessary in my build/your build.

I am running SPI and don't need the ROOT permissions, but i am sure there's a way to set it automatically so Hyperion will start up as root.

or a diffrent workaround, but i don't know that.

There's also a separate duplicated red VCC and black GND lead with unprotected wires at each end.

That wires is the same > its double jointed to make powering the strip easyer

Are these ends for me to directly connect to the PSU and provide a common ground to my RPi4?

yes more then one common ground ( GND PIN) is good to use. So ground PSU to ledstrip, and ledstrip to Raspi

Is a common ground with the RPi4 needed for this end as well?

you can never have to much grounds on DC voltage , but you can have to less and then problems will occur. > flashing/flickering

What is the best way to connect USB cables to a small PSU unit such as this?

USb cables?

The PI has a USB-C connection which draws 2.4 Amps max ( i reality i think not even 1,5 Amps) Its better to use a standard PSU that belongs to it or...........

you can splice up the cable and try to power it from your Meanwell PSU, or,

you power it directly on the PINS, which is more hazardous in case of shortening etc etc..

i didn't have the opportunity yet to "play" with a PI4

no there is not, the pads are there to solder wires to> when you cut the strip and you have more than 80 leds then power from both sides is the way to go.

if you want clean/nice colours this is the way to go> reason is that current which flows trough a LED has a huge impact on the colour the LED will provide. The less current and the more the colours will differ, because every LED is in fact a mini resistor the current can not flow at certain point any more and you get discolourations in the rest to the end of your strip.

i will always recommend to power from both sides if the strip is in one piece. :)

note; and ofcourse the PSU is also really important > a clean, steady and good rectifier/PSU does wonders for a ledstrip/PI

yes, of course.

this goes for if you had the strip only shortened at the end to match the lenght of the tv

You have your begin of the strip> it has a connector thats connected to the solderpads

now at the end where you had cut the strip, you need to roughen up the solderpads and solder on +5volts and GND a wire,

VCC = +5volts

GND= ground

these wires you connect also to your powersupply.

with this setup you are powering the leds from both sides which helps the discolourations

yes running PIN 12 / gpio 18 demands ledcontroller PWM ws281x

Running PIN 19 / gpio 10 demands SPI ledcontroller ws2812

For PWM make sure follow advice of Lord-Grey

run Hyperion under root and disable audio in config.txt

dtparam=audio=off

For SPI make sure SPI device 0 is enabled in config.txt.

dtparam=spi=on

You need to run hyperion as root with this configuration (device 'ws281x) PWM

go to your terminal

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/hyperiond@.service

Remove the User sessionline and save with CTRL+O and exit CTRL+x.

Don't forget to reboot…

now you can decide which ledcontroller you want to use

Okay, I have it shorten to .3m, set to pin 19 but I can't seem to control the LEDs stil

did you select ws2812SPI in led controller??

i saw that you selected 3000000 thats 300Mhz >> thats fast

whats the baudrate of the ledcontroller> decrease to 1500000

look at remote section of Hyperion, do you see that ledcontroller is active?

you have a grounding problem

i think your problem is GND ( ground) related,

try to GND to your Raspi and leds and connect the Raspi to the same PSU and leave the powerbrick out of the story.

you have a lot of juice ( more then enough ) so you can power Raspi/leds/USB capture device from same PSU

or; connect a groundwire between the V- of PSU to your GND of your powerbrick :)

thats the "rainbowsignal" it appears when there's no HDMI videosignal on live feed to Hyperion, so its a empty signal.

USB Capture: (V4L2:/dev/video0) driver still runs and it shows trough Hyperion which steers the leds.

you can turn on [signal detection] and alter the values of Hmin Hmax and Vmin Vmax

the values is default 0,25 / 0,75 > you can change it in 0,9 and 0,98 and see if this works for you

So, what are the best LED stripes in 2021? Which kind should be used?

if you have your leds your not out of the woods yet,

go from a basic point of view, the best results ( most accurate colours you can achieve) with a couple of pointers.

1. First find your LED setting RGB/BGR/GBR etc etc to suit your ledstrip.
    2. make sure the capture video is > at highest setting ( lower count decimation) and highest resolution 16/9 like 1080p
    3. Make sure also that your TV and your captured image from the source are as much alike, so turn off enhancements in your image settings of tv!
    4. Make sure the captured image before go to your PI is as high as possible, use a good quality splitter
    5. use a good quallity PSU, the better the PSU the nicer the colours will be
    6. find a youtube video with Ambilight >> LINK pause it at the colour you want to set
    7. Go to remote section of Hyperion.NG, here you can 'tinker" the settings and see immediatelly results
    8. basic setting is Gamma over 2.0 for every RGB colour ( between 2.0 and 2.4) something like that, is diffrent for each ledcontroller
    9. RGB colours leave them basic yellow/white/red/blue/green etc etc don't touch that ( yet)

now try with the RGB Gamma and paused video to achieve the colours, it has to be really simple now

reminder; every time you change this an other colour can go off.

its almost impossible to have all the ledcolours exactly matched with your TV.

If you can't get the right results with only Gamma RGB settings then try to set each colour individually, but its not my way to do this.

note; step 3/4 is really important because the captured image into Hyperion.NG translates the correct colours for the leds... if those in beginning don't match with your tv its hard to set them right in Hyperion.NG..

note2; take your time for this, it can take hours or even days.

goodluck! :thumbup:

APA102 has not that good colors, but works well connected directly to RPi.

you see my link? not good colours? There is no ledstrip that has al the functionality you want out of the lights.

You always have to give in at some point, it can be DIVERSE symptoms why a ledstrip doesn't project real live colours that you want.

perfect colourscheme doesn't excist

I only say this in a professional way, i am not afended or anyway my lights are great 30l/mtr