Beiträge von Ambientheater77

If I use the raspberries own USBC PSU in addition can I not loose any wires in tpmoddings diagram since his wiring setup also has the pi4 powered from the same source? I do not want any unnecessary wires.

only leave out the 5volts PIN 2 and PIN 4 from the PI to PSU and logic shifter HV, you dont need that wires

instead, then connect HV solderpoint to your big PSU 18Amps +5volts

connect;

PIN1 3.3volts to LV
    PSU +5volt to HV
    2 ground PINs from PI to low voltage side of GND logic converter
    1 GND high voltage side to ledstrip and PSU
    HV to +5volts VCC ledstrip

data and clock according schematics of TPmodding, so PIN 19 and 23 in and out of logic level shifter.
    LV to HV direction and you should be fine

I thought I Def need a level shifter for the data wires.?

no, you only need this when the ledstrip doesn't want to fire up :)

It has to do with a dataline that is to low sometimes from GPIO to the ledstrip to recognize,
    mostly you can correct this/undermine this problem with a good/clean and steady DC PSU.
    APA102 normally don't really need a levelshifter so if possible and you don't need it in your setup then leave it out i would say.

it can't do harm if you use it or don't use it, just a precaution making sure dataflo is coming from GPIO to the ledstrip. thats all :classy::bigsmile:

This has resolved it for me

In my /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf I added the following:

blacklist snd_bcm2835
    blacklist i2c-bcm2708

so it has to do with PWM because this is also a audio PIN, ledstrip data is picking up audio noise.

nice work!

maybe this is also the sollution for more then one problem with GPIO18/PWM and Hyperion 2.09
    i read a lot of problems of this

Thanks guys for all the good answers. I must admit though I'm a bit overwhelmed with guidance in written form as how to best wire my pi4 with the level shifter and apa102 strip.

okay, in short.

1. use the ledstrip WITHOUT levelshifter, connect PIN 19 to Data and 23 to CLK on the ledstrip ( works most of the times.)
    if not follow 2....

2. use the ledstrip WITH levelshifter schematics from TPmodding, connect everything the same and
    use the PI4 own PSU with USB-C connector.

Thanks jeroen, that basically sounds like the first setup I had (that TPmodding posted above and reattached here). Would you say this is what I need? It seem to work. However, under Librec Kodi it shows the lightning symbol in top right corner which indicates the board does not get enough power. I have a 5V, 18A PSU so this is why i was inquiring here above alternative wiring. Any idea what causes this? I am using common breadboard jumper cables which i thought should be sufficient to power the Pi4? When plugging in an USB C power adapter in addition the lightning symbol disappears but ideally I like to run both LED's and the board from my 18A PSU. ANy help is much appreciated as I am quiet a novice when it comes to this things.

When plugging in an USB C power adapter in addition the lightning symbol disappears but ideally I like to run both LED's and the board from my 18A PSU. ANy help is much appreciated as I am quiet a novice when it comes to this things.

thats the problem with the PI4 > because of USB-C (needs more current then PI3/Pi2) they used this port, the problem is that you mostly can only use the original PSU/powersocketadapter that provides this high current.
    this is because USB-C is smart and "detects" data info of the charger/PSU when the charging amends and knows how much current to draw If there is no data then the current is really low > for instance when you directly stripe a USB-C cable and connect it to a PSU thats not a smartcharging device.

so i would use that USB-C PSU to power the PI separately, i read a lot of problems with trying to get the PI4 on the same PSU than the rest of the setup.
    I don't have a PI4, however i am wel known with different DC voltages/ common grounds and a lot of stuff because its in my line of profession.
    Use the common ground from your second PSU ( 18 Amps) to at least 2 separate GND pins on the PI4

Don't use the 5volts PIN on the PI but power everything else from your second PSU, then connect everything on the schematics that you had and it should work.

Any idea what causes this? I am using common breadboard jumper cables which i thought should be sufficient to power the Pi4?

The PI4 has USB-C connector, this is power in jack. After this it goes into a circuit that protects the PI against shortage and high currents.
    after this circuit the power is spreaded on the PINs 5volts and GND of the PI.

the underpower warning is just a ( in most cases) software/hardware bug in the PI, as soon as the Pi is booting OS /running Hyperion then you know its doing his thing.
    i have this warning also from day 1 >> i am using 35Amps 5 volts line from a ATX PSU >> its impossible to get underpower with this ..... still when booting you see that lightningbolt on the screen.
    so i wouldn't be really nervous about that :LOL:

you see my code in my signature? >> avoid_warnings=1 this is to prevent that lightningbolt warning.

so in short, test the PI if it runs the OS and Hyperion and you are fine, if you want the undervoltage warning to go then put the above line into config.txt without the #

i don't want to interfere but the schematics isn't quite that good after looking at it closer.

connect PIN1 3.3volts to LV
    connect from barrel connector/PSU 5 volts to ledstrip 5v and to HV ( if the PI has is own PSU then leave it out, otherwise conect it also to the PSU used for ledstrip/levelshifter)

use a common ground from PSU to raspi/ledstrip/levelshifter Connect al ground together also inbound and outbound on levelshifter.

then use Channel A

Hello hope everyone is doing well, I am wondering if this is a known issue and if there is a fix for it. Hardware: rpi4 , ws2812b Connection: GPIO18 Build: alpha9 from GitHub releases. On boot, the boot effect runs beautifully/perfect, but after that the leds flicker uncontrollably. This is when I fresh installed alpha9 manually. But when using Wled as a test or even the Hyperbain image, the leds respond perfectly. Is there an issue with alpha9 not sending the right data signal? I have triple checked my wiring this is not a grounding or common grounding issue.

So i just tried a fresh install of buster then installed alpha9 and same issue. Is there additional steps needed? (yes root service is enabled)

do you have a debug log? you can find it in logs and copy/paste here

there's more ways then only one to connect a levelshifter wiring, mostly to boost from 3.3volts to 5 volts or you can use them vise versa.

the important notice is to always use a common GND to the whole wiring, this way it doesn't matter if you use diffrent kind of DC voltages in your setup.
    the grounding will make it stable ( no flickering of the leds)

You are just using channel in/out to boost either the Data or Clock. so A to A1, B to B1 ( can be diffrent each type of shifter) etcetera...
    Always feed this 2 signals seperately trough the levelshifter.

The libcec4 line wasn't there to copy and use, only example.

You have to download the libcec4 and then install it for Hyperion.ng 2.09 alpha

Somewhere in my posts you can find the installation lines :) they are

sudo apt-get -d install libcec4
    sudo apt-get install libcec4

At menu ledhardware you switch the RGB to GRB /BGR or to different to switch the colours

If the image rendered to Hyperion.ng is wrong then you can test this with Mplayer.

Install in terminal on raspi and run, then you can see if the video is good or not. So... does it have anything to do with Hyperion.ng or is signal/grabber faulty?
    You can find commands for the Mplayer in my comments.

First what I would do is updating libraries.

Sudo apt-get update
    Sudo apt-get upgrade
    Install libcec4 library

With you having to overclock the Zero to notice a difference - Surely The Zero is one of the biggest culprits, Single Core CPU, 512mb ram - Is that enough hardware to efficiently handle the video capture plus the operating system and that's the reason you are at 256x144px?

this. i second this. :rolleyes:

i agree completely with Davieboy,

the hardware seems not be capable fully to the challenge of lighting 300 leds on SPI bus fluently and grabber the same time..
    maybe upgrade to a PI3 or 4 is the better choice here, instead of overclocking CPU which doesnt have really much calculating power to begin with.
    (its the same example than putting a Porsche engine in a volkswagen Beetle, its not a race car over night with that modification :LOL::roflmao:)

i am running a overclocked and boosted PI3b, when i set size decimation to lower than 4 ( when every setting is highest as possible in Hyperion)
    then i can see a noticable difference in reacting of the leds, rendered image to Hyperion is getting behind.. .

that means that CPU/GPU is at the top of rendering the image to Hyperion.
    So even with my well balanced setup on the PI3b there is a top setting that can't be topped.

with other words, you are missing some power in CPU.
    i don't think you can solve this problem only with settings in config.txt and Hyperion or a different grabber for that matter.

Setting it back to 1 increases the lag quite a bit. It definitely doesn't decrease the lag or help in any way.

tip:
    increase baudrate speed to 1500000 ( or higher) helps also in a faster SPI bus, thus faster respons less lag from the ledstrip
    led hardware> led controller settings

yes, it looks like you are only capable to run on 720P maximum, does the RPI including LE run on full CPU load?
    there was a topic here when somebody would turn of start effect in Hyperion (choose another effect) and saved 80% of CPU load with that action.

he did it by taking the Json file and disabling the start up effect and import it again, not on WebUI:8090 >> he said that didn't had a effect.