Beiträge von Ambientheater77

i just watched a YT video this week of Tech specials who investigate and try it out, it has a couple of features thats new but nothing real shocking.

most of the upgrades are in the UI and desktop enviroment, its not faster or way smoother than W10.

i am keeping my version of W10 and only upgrading to [ W12 or whatever] ( so i wait this one out)

btw W11 has a few contradictions in the hardware, if your hardware isn't capable to install the OS then there is a workaround, but even the guy says on the YT that yes you could do that but if you are not that eager to run the brandnew OS and have couple of problems coming your way then he would wait also.

its up to you :)

fwy

I just read the characteristics of the HD107s leds, they only use with full brightness 0.018Amps each.

So there you go, even less than in my calculation that I always use.

The standard is 0.060 per led, but that's for big leds not 5050SMD or 2020SMD leds.

You learn 💯 something every day 8o

Yeah, technically is all okay apart that I used fried led strip

the capacity of your PSU is way bigger than what the ledstrip + Raspi will consume in total.

so when you set DC to high there is way more current trough the leds as it should be.

with a real powerfull PSU like yours the voltage isn't dropping when using current, because its so powerfull it can deliver all the current ( and more)

there is a way to calculate the max power a 5050 SMD led uses ( i use)

for the Raspi: maximum of 3Amps over 5.3 volts ( mostly around 1,5Amps) i didn't see them consume more in my tests

for the ledstrip: 250 leds x 0.045 Amps ( total brightness of 31 in Hyperion) = 11,25 Amps

so with this calculation a 75Watt (15 Amps) 5 volt PSU is already enough, maybe for safe side a 100Watts but that's it. ( 20Amps)

you have a PSU that triples that, thatswhy i say is be carefull with the voltage setting.

note: the Raspi likes to run at maximum under 5.3volts DC not more. Most ledstrips are run at maximum at 5,3 volts DC

your 5.5 volts DC is to high, maximum under load it should be max 5.3 volts.

second, you have to run the Hyperion software under root privileges,

and turn off the audio in config.txt

Code
    dtparam=audio=off  

without the #

and execute this command in terminal, then reboot

Code
    sudo updateHyperionUser -u root

Code
    sudo reboot 

Also are APA102 RGB or RGBW ? I didn't find this info anywhere.

like pclin mentioned,

RGBW is RGB+W

you have these in special types,

RGB+CW cool white, kelvin temp is high, more blue

RGB+WW warm white kelvin temp is low, less blue

RGB+NW natural white kelvin temp is medium, medium blue

(think of your pc monitor, colours are often mentioned in Kelvin )

APA102's don't come ( at least i know off) in +W types, you don't need that for the APA because the whites are very nice put together within the led.

If you are purchasing W type ledstrips then in Hyperion you have the option ( led controller section) to send the separate white data to the leds

note: its also possible to make the string out of separate RGB leds > i was thinking about it before because they are bigger ( more bright/MCD values) than the standard 50/50 SMD leds on a strip.

the only thing is to make the frame for them can be time consuming and more expensive, but i've seen builds on the internet which looked also very nice.

so make up your mind what you want. :)

Now I wanted to ask if there is an uncomplicated way to control a LED strip without buying another microcontroller and even having to flash it.

You need a ledcontroller ( that does the calculations) for lighting the strip, the execution is always hardware that's being steered by software in the case of HyperionNG. You have also hardware ledcontrollers like a ready to go box, so NO.

Just order yourself a second hand Raspi3 and use the GPIO pins on there, or else use a Microcontroller with or without Wled ( wireless led) you can purchase microcontrollers from a couple of bucks on Ali Express.

- Are they good ? Would you recommend them ?

I think the APA102 is better, work everytime no hassle with PWM

- Can the pi 4 deliver enough power for 4x60 of those leds ?

yes, plenty

Regarding HDMI capture :

- What is the best device I should use for this ?

i used a splitter from Xolorspace with downscaler, very good splitters

- What should I be careful of when choosing those things ?

choose one that can cope with HDR-Dolby Vision/CEC/ARC/HDCP/4K signals and so on!

- Could you recommend me some ?

XOLORspace 61121 1x2 4K 60HZ 4:4:4 HDR HDMI Splitter with downscaler 4k to 1080p – (3pcs HDMI cables pack)
    FEATURES Support HDMI 2.0, HDCP2.2 Support 3D video format Support high resolution up to 3840X2160/60HZ Support the max baud rate of 18Gbps and TMDS clock can…
    xolorspace.com

Regarding the pi 4 :

- Will it be fast enough to deliver a fast signal to all those leds without to much desync with the image ? Could it lag sometimes ?

its fast enough, i am using a PI3 and its fast enough so....

- What if I add other services like Home Assistant that can be a bit heavy ?

no problem but don't try to capture 4K resolutions, 1080P is plenty for Hyperion to work with, HyperionNG can't cope with HDR/Dolby Vision and the colours captured will be bland and stale...

- If not, what are the alternative solutions ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

- The pi will be always on and it's the room I sleep in. Noise is a problem, so I guess a fanless solution is better. Is there cases that would work well without the pi overheating ?

use a silent 120mm computerfan in a box, (look at my video) don't use fanless it will wreck the PI4 in time.... happend to my friend...

Last questions :

- Am I missing something ? Is there other things to buy or other advices you could give me for a better result ?

you need a box ( i think/my opinion) to keep it neat and dust out/ not overheating etc...

- What are common mistakes ?

put everything behind the tv and stick it to the frame of tv, it will not stick in time and dust.... etc.

make a frame for the leds, not sticking it with the self adhesive to the backplate... but make a frame and stick the leds onto there. Then take the frame and attach that to the tv

goodluck!

thommy86

ik heb een Xolorspace 4k splitter met aan de 1080p HDMI poort een LOOP device.

loop device : 2.0 black Rullz USB grabber ( je gebruikt zoals ik gewoon de HDMI LOOP out niet, kan wel als je dat wilt natuurlijk.

de Xolorspace splitter die ik gebruik, https://xolorspace.com/collect…th-downscaler-4k-to-1080p

Maybe I can rephrase, what is a good place to order a HSV321 for the Netherlands?

gewoon Amazon bv?