Beiträge von peskdale

Just to be absolutely sure before I order another hdmi grabber. Can this garbber receive HDR signal?
    My amplifier has 2 hdmi out ports which defaults to the worst signal = no HDR on any of the outputs if the grabber is not compatible with HDR.

Yes - this will accept and passthrough HDR signals fine. My issues were just bad cabling in my setup.

The grabbed image is not tone-mapped, so will be washed out (which is normal for almost all affordable grabbers).

What I can’t advise on is how this will behave without a display connected to it’s output. Mine is connected between my amplifier and TV.

I bought one of these the other day. Good news is that it does accept and onpass a 2160p60 HDR signal, whilst grabbing at 1080p. And Hyperion on my Pi 3 picked it up straight away.

Latency is good with automatic settings, although I have turned down the resolution just to be safe.

Unfortunately, it looks like when you go full-on at 2160p60 HDR, the power draw can be slightly too much for a Pi 3 to keep up with. Occasionally, this will result in the HDMI loop dropping out for a moment (exasperated by my TV then taking an age to lock back onto the signal).

I tried plugging it into a 5V/2.4A USB hub, and experienced the same issue. However, when connected to my USB3 laptop, no such issues occur. I'm hoping that a proper USB3 hub, or a Y-splitter, can solve this. Suggestions welcome.... bought this to keep the clutter down, so doesn't really want another box just to power it properly.

EDIT: This was down to a bad HDMI cable causing my AVR to occasionally drop out. Coincidentally started happening after I installed the grabber. 2160p60 HDR is stable on a Pi 3 without any additional power.

Interestingly, my PS4 couldn't make much sense of it to begin with. Seemed to believe it wasn't capable of YUV420, but was able to do RGB and YUV422 HDR fine. Kept changing mode until I set a manual resolution.

In short, this is a great capture device, and can be paired directly with a Pi 3 so long as you aren't after the full 2160p60 HDR.