Beiträge von gezeebeezee

2.5w means it draws 0.5A from the brick.
    The Pi itself draws at least 2A.
    So you have approximately 5A remaining for your LEDs, allowing you to use properly between 90 and 100 LEDs.
    If you have more than 100 LEDs in your setup, yes that 8A power brick is too weak.

Consider 0,06A per LED, and 3A for the pi and the capture card. This way you Can determine what power brick you need.

Thank you for the info! Super helpful. I think I fixed the issue. I made two changes so I’m not sure which is the true resolution. Anyway, I ended up switching the capture card to a USB 2.0 under the assumption it’ll draw less power. I also gave the pi it’s own 5V 3A power supply. It’s been working for two straight days now, so I’ll consider this solved!

Thanks again everyone!

I had the exact same issue, I was powering the Pi zero and the LEDS with a 12A supply. I looked into the logs and the issue for me was the USB capture card wasn't getting enough power. My current workaround is to additionally power the Pi with a separate 5V supply via microUSB.
    The error I was seeing when the USB capture turned off was "VIDIOC_QBUF error code 19, No such device"

Looking at your capture card its the same as the one I have

Ah interesting! I’m not great with “power”, but I did see that the USB capture card draws 2.5W. Maybe there’s not enough power from the 5V 8A brick to power the pi, the LEDs, and the capture card?

Anyhow, I’m currently testing it using a powered USB hub to power the capture card to hopefully cut the pi some slack. I’ll report back in a day or two to give ample time for testing.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same issue. Though mine runs normally until the pi is idle for a long period of time. After that, when I turn on my TV/Fire TV, the lights flash on and then turn off and give me that error code 19. I can get the lights working by going into the web configuration and disabling then re-enabling USB capture.

That seems like plenty to me

So I tested a different power supply and the issue persists. It seems as though the USB Capture Card is disabled when the pi idles for an extended period of time (or there’s no signal being passed through it). So then Hyperion no longer sees it as a device.

That’s my best guess at least. Is there any way to prevent the USB device from sleeping/idling?

I had that happen to me on my first Hyperion install, with a similar capture card. It turns out that my pi was having some under voltage issues due to a bad voltage regulator. That power supply might be a little weak for the pi and the capture card, maybe a 3 or 3.5 amp, but I'm just speculating. Although this probably has nothing to do with it, what are you using to power the leds?

I currently have a 5V 8A brick powering both the pi and the LEDS. Interesting thought though. I can test out different power supplies to see if that changes anything, although I assumed the 8A would be enough.

Hey everyone,

I've got Hyperion up and running on a

• with this
    • LEDs, and
    • to power LEDs and Raspberry Pi
    • Input coming from a Fire TV

Everything works normally when I first boot up the pi and the LEDs turn off as intended when I put the Fire TV to sleep. My problem now is that if the Fire TV is asleep for a long period of time (i.e overnight), then the USB capture device is turned off and the lights no longer turn on.

I can get them back on by going to “Remote Control” and disabling and then re-enabling USB capture. But as you can imagine, that’s less than ideal. One interesting thing that I should note is that the lights respond to the Fire TV being turned on initially, but then shut off again within 1 second.

Is there any way to fix this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone!

aha, okay!

somewhere here on Hyperion forum there's the settings, i believe it was 0,9 en 0,98 vertical and horizontal on signal detection

I think I figured out a solution! It's probably not the ideal way, but I ended up increasing the red, green, and blue threshold under signal detection. Now when the screen blacks, the LEDs turn off! Thanks for all your help jeroen!

Marking this thread as solved for anyone passing through.

I’m going to be honest, I understood about 17% of what you just said haha

I’ll play around with the signal detection levels to see if I can get it right!

Oh man thanks for all the info! I should have specified that I am currently using two separate power adapters (one for pi and one for LEDs). I swapped out the old raspberry pi 1 for a raspberry pi 3 that I was using elsewhere, and the delay seems to be way less dramatic. It's pretty much unnoticeable now.

Another question I had though that is unrelated to lag/delay: how do I get the LEDs to turn off when I turn off my TV? I'm using a Fire TV stick and I think the input remains active even after I turn off my TV. I confirmed this by turning off my TV and navigating the Fire TV menu with my remote and the lights are still reacting. It seems like the Fire TV never goes to "sleep", it just displays a black screen. Will Hyperion ever go into an idle state with the Fire TV doing that?

Thanks for all the help!

I'm sorry I didn't answer for a while. Out of curiosity, I decided to check the solution based on UTV007 ala "EasyCAP". For me, it is even worse when it comes to receiving signals from the transmitting device, the colors are different and the image is of lower quality than from the hdmi grabber. Delay was the same about 0.5~1 sec or more witch is really distracting when scenes are changing.
    I'm forced to use Hyperion Screen Capture software on computer, which is connected by internet wirelessly to raspberry pi and has not noticeable lag!

Can you elaborate a little more on what you're using to get rid of the lag? I'm having the same issue and have been trying to figure out a fix. There are lots of variables so it's hard to determine the cause.

Hey everyone,

I've got Hyperion up and running on a

The capture card appears to be working and sending accurate colors to the LEDs, however, I am experiencing some lag between the TV and the LEDs (about .5 second). I've tried playing with the Hyperion settings and they have helped a tiny bit. I'm wondering if any of the components that I am using is contributing or causing the lag, or if I just need to fiddle with the settings some more. There are a lot of variables here (e.g. inadequate power supply, using an old Pi 1) so I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. I don't mind buying different parts, I just don't want to buy new things without knowing if they will help.

Everything looks great except for the small delay, so I'm excited to get it fixed! Thanks everyone! P.s. I can upload a video of the delay if needed.