Help: GPIO interrupted by ethernet LAN

• Raspberry PI Zero W, WS2812B LEDs, ENC28J60 Ethernet/SPI, Level Shifter, Hyperion 2.0.0-alpha.9

Happy with my setup with one exception, the PI Zero W refuses to connect to WiFi when collocated with the TV however it does connect when on the workbench.

So, in an effort to get access to the Hyperion web interface (when collocated with the TV) I've added an ENC28J60 Ethernet/SPI. I can now connect to the PI and access the Hyperion web interface with it however, as soon as I connect the ethernet cable to it the LEDs stop changing, they lock up for want of a better phrase. Removing the cable doesn't unlock them.

Whilst locked up I can use the web interface and see live images on the visualiser.

I have to remove the ethernet cable and reboot the PI for the LEDs to work correctly again.

My wiring is shown below. Any thoughts on why this is happening? As an aside, do I need to join the PSU and PI grounds?

Thanks in adavnce!

• Sounds familiar and most likely due to the fact you have added an Ethernet port to the GPIO as USB data transfers can interfere with GPIO IR receivers on Raspberry Pi 0/1/2/3 hardware, I had that problem with GPIO IR Receiver and it locking up and as you are hooking the Ethernet port up to the GPIO i feel you may also be encountering similar problems, might not be 100% the same but it sure sound like it.

Maybe sending a video file you your SD card and playing it while using platform capture would be a easy way to check if the problems still exists and give you something more concrete on how to rectify as if Ethernet performs as it should and LEDS light you know 100% that the problem only exists when the video grabber and Ethernet are being used simultaneously causing the lockup.

Source: https://libreelec.wiki/configuration/ir-remotes#known-issues

None of that helps with the WIFI though and that is also very strange.

Hope any or some of that helps you out :thumbup:

• you could add a few ground points form the GPIO to the earth on your PSU first just to try and reduce any noise as apart from that your main wiring looks good, if still not playing ball on WIFI or Ethernet then go down the other route to try and pin point it.

• Disconnected USB grabber and set white strobe as background effect (no signal effect) so I can see them working - plugging in ethernet cable still stops the LEDs. Suggests the issue is not the USB.

Connected two grounds on the PI to the PSU ground - plugging in ethernet cable still stops the LEDs. Suggests the issue is not a need for common ground.

I'm at a loss now. Anyone?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!