Ideas for hyperion with parallel video playback

• first thing first, im new to the community, spent a few days to research, may not know every details of the ecosystem. currently, i have a samsung tv (4k HDR ready) and RP4 and want to build the first ambilight (for the emby server playback only), and because:

• there's no way to grab pictures from tizen
    • i want to keep the tv as playback source (dont want to sacrifice HDR by using RP4 as playback source)

hence, playing the same video on tv and RP4 might be the solution (using some scripting to sync the playback position, shouldnt be a problem).

some key components of the setup

• samsung tv: play video from emby server and use webhooks to sync playback position with RP4
    • RP4: install kodi, hyperion, hypercon for a separate playback setup
    • esp8266/wemos d1 mini or arduino nano (?): led controller

• ws2813b 60-led*4m: light strip
    • some L-shape connectors

here're my questions

• should i choose esp8266/wemos d1 mini or arduino nano? and what shall be reasons behind? (would mostly connect RP4 and led controller with usb, see below)
    • for the smoothest experience, should i connect RP4 to the led controller via usb? can wemos d1 mini handle usb connection?
    • is ws2813b the fair choice to go for the first ambilight project?
    • is it ok to share the 5V power supply with led strip and RP4? given the amp is sufficient
    • any other thoughts to improve the setup?

your ideas are much appreciated, thanks

• Zitat

RP4: install kodi, hyperion, hypercon for a separate playback setup

Remove Hypercon setup if using NG version as having both will prevent NG from working

Zitat

should i choose esp8266/wemos d1 mini or arduino nano?

If they are close use the nano, if you need wireless use the D1, If you get a 5v nano then you shouldn't need level shifter, webmos may require other parts to increase signal voltage.

From what ive been reading thus far, hopefully someone can confirm it if they read this post, USB offers faster transfer rather than serial but can still be limited or bottlenecked by the baud rate set - Could be wrong though.

LEDS should be fine and ok to run both from the same psu - you will be limited to max 2.4amp on the Pi4 but if you are only using platform capture you will be no where near that so all should be fine.

Good luck on your setup, hopefully you dont run into too many problems :thumbup:

• Remove Hypercon setup if using NG version as having both will prevent NG from working

thanks for reminding, didnt know before - what other software do i need to capture the playback screen in kodi?

If they are close use the nano, if you need wireless use the D1, If you get a 5v nano then you shouldn't need level shifter, webmos may require other parts to increase signal voltage.

i wanted to compare wireless and wired setup before deciding which route i should take, in that case should i get D1? since it could do both wireless and wired

is there other reference i can read for level shifter and the signal voltage?

Thanks.

• nothing, if you go for the Libreelec and Hyperion NG install - that is all you need for your purposes.

Your call man, imo id be looking to go wired just to ensure no delay is added due to the wireless as you are already planning to do a type of piggy back approach rather than watch and grab on the one source type of thing, Your callbacks to sync playback may cause its own set of timing issues but only 1 way to find out :thumbup:

Theres been a few posts recently with wiring , level shifters etc, have a search and see what pops up

Good Luck

• the reason why i want to try wireless is, it gives huge benefit for my setup, since the RP4's wifi module is rather weak, online playback of 4k video is not possible, and requires workaround like video conversion and transfer an offline copy in advance
    i've tested the playback sync, so far it looks pretty good
    from what i've seen of the D1 mini setup, it doesnt include other component except 470ohm resistor to prevent voltage spike, should i be worried about the voltage as you mentioned? btw i ordered ws2812b instead

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!