Completely stuck, no idea what is wrong.

• Hi everybody!

First post here, though I've been peeping the forums for months while preparing my own ambilight setup. I'll try to make this quick and detailed.

Hardware

• Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (tried with 1 B+ too)
    • EasyCap D60 (UT7000) grabber (and all the required bits before it for TV capture)
    • Mean Well RSP-150-5 power supply (150w 30a 5v)
    • 228 APA102 LEDs (5M roll, about 4m used. Bought on AliExpress)
    • 12AWG wires from the PSU, splits into 20AWG to power all 4 corners separately
    • Everything was hand-soldered. I'm new at this but it seems to be okay.

OS

• Raspbian Stretch
    • Raspbian Buster
    • OpenElec

Tried both Hyperion-NG and Hyperion with HyperCon. Also tried alpha 0.2 and 0.5, along with many ways to compile/install. I'd prefer getting NG to work if possible.

The Issue(s)
    This is where it gets tricky. It's so off the map that I don't even know how to describe it. I'll try to be precise but please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications.

I was first able to get something to happen using the Pi 4 and Buster with Hyperion-NG 0.5. The software works for me, as in I'm able to access the WebGUI and make changes. However, I just can't get the LED to work properly.

I got close once, using the effects in Hyperion-NG worked somewhat on the LEDs, but there were constant random colors and flickers so it was useless. Also, I did something weird to make that work: I switched the Clock and Data pins on the Pi, ie put 19 instead of 23 and 23 instead of nineteen. I know this is wrong, but this is the only way I was able to get something working. Anything else was a failure.

That was the first attempt. Since then I've gone to the Pi B+ and tried 3 OS and nothing even got close to the first attempt.

So all in all, it seems that my Pi isn't "controlling" the LEDs at all. Since the PSU is plugged into the wall, they are constantly on and the Pi does nothing different. Effects don't work, etc.

I know this isn't much to go by, but I'm really struggling here. Read all the tutorials I could find. Am I missing some hardware to interface with the LEDs? Is the Pi 4 not supported? Is Alpha 0.5 fairly reliable (in regards to other versions)?

Thanks a bunch for your help. I'm just looking forward to figuring this out.

PS. Not a Linux expert, FYI. I get around using web resources.

• Hey, thanks so much! I re-installed Hyperion-NG with the exact steps from the GitHub.

Here's the PasteBin for my debug log: [MEDIA=pastebin]wdmqVevU[/MEDIA]

And I've uploaded my configuration.

Some "progress": I've plugged the GPIO in the correct order (which did nothing before), and now it seems to do... something? Effects have an impact on the LEDs, but they basically all change to a different, random color. Also, when my LED Device is On in the "Remote Control", my LEDs are flickering and changing colors randomly. When they are Off, the LEDs stop flickering and keep their color (which, again, is random).

Thanks again!

• I'm not very familiar with Level Shifters. Is it for adjusting the voltage when powering from the Pi? My PSU is adjustable and outputs exactly 5v so I thought I didn't need one.

Thanks so much for your help.

• Oh, I see... Data signal! Apologies, when I hear volts all I think about is the PSU. Great then, I'll try again with another pair of data wires (mine were a bit home-made...) and if that doesn't work I'll get a Level Shifter.

Thanks so much!

• Figured as much, so I plugged everything in. It kinda works now, although it doesn't really seem to follow the screen colors.

Another thing is color accuracy. I did the test and put it GBR, but I still can't show red. It displays as blue instead, and so does blue...

All in all, we're making progress. Thanks a lot for your help.

Ps. When all this is done, lunch will be on me.

• As best as I can, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I don't think the wires touch.

One more thing I think is important to mention: when the LED device is OFF in Hyperion-NG, the lights don't flicker AT ALL and all seems perfect except for the fact that I can't control them.

When I turn the LED Device ON, then sometimes I get flickers but it still looks very good. Nothing crazy.

Don't know if that helps. I'll take another deep look at everything and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

• You know what? I completely fixed it. I had "Invert Signals" ON in the LED settings... I tried again and so far it's amazing. The colors are exactly as displayed on screen and everything.

Thanks so much for everything, it would have taken months without you.

Ps. I kept my promise, check your PayPal :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!