Where should the data signal come from? Novice asking

• I have read oodles of information about setting up Hyperion. Nowhere can I find a wiring diagram for how the lights should get their data signal. I feel like I must be crazy because this is such a critical component. Can someone please advise?

I can use an RPi 2B/2GB or 4B/2GB. I have an HDMI capture device (but would be open to one that's better as the one I have doesn't seem to properly pass UHD to my LG OLED), WS2815 lights with 60 LEDs per meter, 12V/8.3A power supply, and DC-DC 12V-5V transformer.

Do I need another device like NodeMCU (i have one) or Arduino Nano (i have one) or USB ISP/ASP (in order)? Can someone share a basic wiring diagram? Can I just use a GPIO pin on the RPi? What about if I use the PoE HAT on the RPi 4B?

• u can use the SPI device on the PI, you connect the ledstrip directly onto the GPIO data/clk pins and mostly this will work on most ledstrips.

i would use an older PI but thats user preference, schematics you can find here on the forum or at raspberrypi website.
    i see what i can find for you..

• for SPI0 you need this

Pin/GPIO mappings
    SPI0 (available on J8/P1 headers on all RPi versions)
    SPI Function Header Pin Broadcom Pin Name Broadcom Pin Function
    MOSI 19 GPIO10 SPI0_MOSI

MISO 21 GPIO09 SPI0_MISO
    SCLK 23 GPIO11 SPI0_SCLK
    CE0 24 GPIO08 SPI0_CE0_N
    CE1 26 GPIO07 SPI0_CE1_N

thats for 4 wire setup GND/data/clock/5volts

for 3 wire you use only GPIO10

see;
    Bidirectional mode
    In bidirectional SPI mode the same SPI standard is implemented, except that a single wire is used for data (MOMI) instead of the two used in standard mode (MISO and MOSI). In this mode, the MOSI pin serves as MOMI pin.

• Thanks, everyone. I'm fairly new to LED light strips and I've only worked with the 12V variety (b/c 5V seems silly to me due to voltage drop). I think the easiest explanation for what I was missing is from DrZzs -

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    . I wasn't finding how to do the configuration properly in Hyperion, I suppose. I ended up using the default, GPIO-18 and it all works flawlessly (after reducing the resolution, setting the framerate to 15fps, and modifying the decimation number to be congruent with my number of lights based on the lower resolution).

This business about bidirectional SPI and whatever, I don't really understand b/c WS2815 lights don't have a clock channel, instead, they duplicate the data signal across two wires for redundancy, as best I can tell.

Thanks for the help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!