CX2802 flickering with HyperBian

• Hi I am hoping that someone can help me with a flickering issue I am having with a CX2802 strip connected to a RPi 3 b+ running HyperBian.

I have connected the LED strip to the RPi and can get the strip to change colours using the background effect in the effects tab of Hyperion. However, the lights flicker dramatically and I have not found a way to solve this. Reducing the refresh time to 1ms has reduced the flicker, but it is just probably flickering faster.

I am mainly following the tutorial by DrZzs (.youtube.com/watch?v=urOEHzbV48A). So I have the RPi and the LED strip being powered by the same power brick via a barrel connector with both power wires and ground wires. The PRi is connected to the LED strip using GPIO 10 to the data wire and GPIO 11 to the clock wire of the strip. The LED strip is 20 LEDs at the moment, I am trying to get it working before adding more.

I have tried adding a logic level shifter between the RPi and the LEDs but this doesn't seem to have changed anything. As a side note, would I have to connect the clock wire through the shifter as well? I wasn't sure about that but either way there was no change.

My Hyperion settings are:

Ideally I would like to increase the refresh time to the default value.

The power brick is 5V 10A.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been stuck on this for a while. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide and I would be open to ideas of how to diagnose this.

Alternatively, a recommendation for a new LED strip would be great.

Thanks!

• I see that this is the new controllertype that replaces the ws2801

set hardware count to 1, make your led layout and save it.
    then measure the voltage, it shouldn't be more than 5 volts under load
    set baudrate much higher, to 1500000

APA102 is a good alternative, good with soft bland colours

• I have tried adding a logic level shifter between the RPi and the LEDs but this doesn't seem to have changed anything. As a side note, would I have to connect the clock wire through the shifter as well? I wasn't sure about that but either way there was no change.

You have to connect both data and CLK trough the levelshifter, from A to B it increases the voltage 3.3/5 > the other way B to A decreases from 5 to 3.3 approx.
    for the experts : :p
    https://assets.nexperia.com/do…ata-sheet/74HC_HCT245.pdf

oh, and make sure you connect the floating ( not used) inputs to GND, if not its possible they'll pickup static noise on the way.

• Thank you for all your help! After trying all of your suggestions the issue seems to have resolved itself. I think the baud rate change and the extra grounding did the trick.

Thanks again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!