Sk6812 flickers every 15-60 sec

• Hello first time
    Thanks first of all to this great community.
    I have motivated me and built everything together.

But now I have a problem, when the LEDs change too fast all leds flicker. With still images and slow movements everything is fine.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

My setup looks like this.

AC/DC Power supply

-V: 4 Wires to: Strip GND-Start, Strip GND-End, RPI PIN 39, GNDLevel-Shifter
    +V: 2 Wires to: Strip 5V-Start, Strip +V-End

Levelshifter
    3.3 V from Raspberry PIN 1
    5 V from Raspberry PIN 2
    LV from PIN 19 (GPIO 10 MOSI)
    HV to 470 Ohm to Din-Strip

LED's i bought

I measured the signal Blue from Pin 19 and after the Levelshifter (before 470 Ohm). Could this be the Problem? Without levelshifter every leds flicker the whole time

Settings in Hyperion:

Would be very grateful for any help

• Kudos for the scope pattern, I was under the impression the level shifters were only required mainly for the Ardruino to drop the 5v signal down to 3.3v, have you tried direct wire with no resistor from the GPIO to the strip? as you mentioned they flickered when not using the level shifter.

Sidenote: Would love to know what current your LEDS are pulling if you have time :thumbup:

• baudrate should be 150000 to 1750000, '
    '
    i think setting is too high, leds can not reset that fast > in default Hyperion.NG its 1000000 so you are quite high.

I f you are going to set bus speed too high then leds can not refresh in time anymore, it depends also on specifications of the leds but in a ballpark 1500000 should be fine.

mine version has possibillity to also set latchtime and refreshtime of the leds.

• I try to change the baudrate
    150000 - all LEds White
    1000000 - all LEDs White
    2000000 - all LEDs White
    2500000 - Works with flicker
    3000000 - Works with flicker
    3500000 - Works with flicker
    4000000 - Works with flicker
    4500000 - all LED's off

will now trywithout to replace the ressistor with a potentiometer

• 1 powersupply th eone in the picture
    132 leds (42,24,42,24)

in the linked topic i see they connect 5 V from power supply with the 5 V of the RPi, could try this too. but i dont think its that.
    And the second ground from the rpi

In the levelshifter i think it doesnt matter if i use LV1, 2, 3 or 4.
    the LV and HV grounds are connected together

will make a new board for the levelshifter and give feedback about if it works better

Could it be that i have a bad power supply with not stable voltage? I measured 5,06 V, could a 1000uF capacity help?
    I hear a quiet beep from the power supply during operation

Thanks

• In the levelshifter i think it doesnt matter if i use LV1, 2, 3 or 4.
    the LV and HV grounds are connected together

setup your PSU to 5 volts max ( with dial) a beep is not good maybe its running at max capacity or something? shortcut somewhere?
    a Raspi likes more then one PIN to GND so if i was you i connect at least 2 GND pins from the Raspi to your PSU

don't connect LV and HV grounds together but follow my schematics on page 3
    indeed it doesn't matter what input you use :thumbup:

• 132 leds use up maximum 6,5 Amps on 5 volts on full brightness.
    So PSU should be strong enough to power Raspi/grabber/Leds/and levelshifter

remove the R470 from the setup, i have a feeling it causes a delay on dataline because you are using a levelshifter already you dont need that anymore. Also remove/dont use a capacitor and test again with schematics exact like the one of TP modding page 2 (1 PSU setup)

• Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

just see, if i touch the data cable and the tv frame the flicker stops 8|

• Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com

just see, if i touch the data cable and the tv frame the flicker stops o_O

so its a grounding problem >> follow my advice and use at least 2 GND pins from Raspi to LV gnd input.
    then connect all other grounds from HV output gnd to GND ledstrip/PSU and your problems are over

remove the connection LV to HV GND wire :biggrin:

• baudrate should be 150000 to 1750000, '
    '
    i think setting is too high, leds can not reset that fast > in default Hyperion.NG its 1000000 so you are quite high.

I f you are going to set bus speed too high then leds can not refresh in time anymore, it depends also on specifications of the leds but in a ballpark 1500000 should be fine.

mine version has possibillity to also set latchtime and refreshtime of the leds.

You say the default is 1000000 but my default when I set mine up is 3000000?

I’m having the same issue with the flickering and can’t find a solution. Which is driving me mad.

What was the baudrate?

• You say the default is 1000000 but my default when I set mine up is 3000000?

I’m having the same issue with the flickering and can’t find a solution. Which is driving me mad.

What was the baudrate?

the baudrate for SPI port is not a fixt setting, but i know in default in Hyperion.NG ( Béta ) its 100Mhz/1000000Hz
    Make sure its not faster running then default clock speed of 400 MHz for Raspi3 , 250Mhz for Raspi1/2 ( Raspi 4 may go even higher)

So you can run it at 300Mhz, its your preference and what your ledstrip can handle/ how Hyperion in WebUI is set completely.
    Between the 100/400 ( or higher even) you can "play" with the SPI port speed.

I have it set on my system on 175Mhz SPI0 >> ledstrip APA102 directly connected with GPIO's ( no electronics further needed)

note; flickering of leds is sometimes a PSU that can't handle the job or a grounding issue between devices.
    goodluck.

• so its a grounding problem >> follow my advice and use at least 2 GND pins from Raspi to LV gnd input.
    then connect all other grounds from HV output gnd to GND ledstrip/PSU and your problems are over

remove the connection LV to HV GND wire :biggrin:

Thanks workins now how it should work :) i am happy

The problem was the 5 V of the RPi, i just switch the 5 V from the Rpi to the PSU and it worked.

I also did some new wiring right away.
    PSU GND --> RPI Pin 34+39
    PSU GND --> StripGnd--Start + End
    PSU 5V --> Level Shifter HV
    PSU 5V --> Strip-Start + End

RPi Pin 19 --> Levelshifter LV2
    Rpi Pin 1 --> Levelshifter LV
    Levelshifter HV2 --> Data In
    LV GND not connected to HV GND

You say the default is 1000000 but my default when I set mine up is 3000000?

What was the baudrate?

default was mine 30000000 too. Now i set it to 32500000. it looks more smooth to me, but maybe I'm just imagining it. Do you have a levelshifter? if not you can try to only setup the first 20 LEDs and test if they stop flicker. I could run 22 Leds without the Levelshifter, more and it flickered
    also the answer for:

why not run it directly from the pi without the levelshifter or resistor? even as a process of elimination.

The 470 Ohms are to protect the first led

Looks like that and works :D, Thanks everybody

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!