Ambilight - Hyperion NG Forwarder with multi monitor setup

• Hello everybody,

I try to setup my first ambilight project. Most of it works, but now I get stuck and maybe somebody can help. First of all my setup consists of a projector connected to a computer with Ubuntu 20.0.4 as second display. The first display is a monitor. Around my canvas are 375 LEDs (WS2812B), connected to an Arduino Nano. The Arduino is connected to an Raspberry Pi Zero W. On this is running the latest Hyperion NG software (2.0.0-alpha.9). This works great so far, for ex. the LEDs are controllable by app via JSON. On the Ubuntu-machine is the second HyperionNG instance installed (same version) for capturing the screen. The connection between them is realized with flatbuffer. This works so far, but the screengrabber always grabs both displays, no matter what is configured. I already tried all grabber and settings, but with no luck. What is the best way to achieve this?

The config part of the forwarder on the Ubuntu machine:

JSON
        "forwarder": {
            "enable": true,
            "flat": [
                "hyperbian:19401"
            ],
            "json": []
        }, 

The framegrabber part:

If you need more informations, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance Danny

• Offizieller Beitrag

Danny80 Sorry, seems I mixed the platforms. Ambientheater77 is right. On Windows you can grab each Monitor separately with QT. On Ubuntu i would need to check, but because QT is using underlying X11, I assume you get the X11 screen which cuts across two monitors.

• in Screengrab Hyperion Windows its Adapter 0 Monitor 0 > did you try that?

Thanks for your answers, but I tried everything ;)

Danny80 Sorry, seems I mixed the platforms. Ambientheater77 is right. On Windows you can grab each Monitor separately with QT. On Ubuntu i would need to check, but because QT is using underlying X11, I assume you get the X11 screen which cuts across two monitors.

After resetting and reinstalling everything with no luck, I came to a solution after playing around with the Grabber-CLI-Tools (hyperion-x11, hyperion-qt, ....). I crop the screen on the left by 1920px and at the bottom by 480px. This will cut out the whole left Display and the bottom of the second one, because of different resolutions. The screenshot was alwas expanded to the height of the larger display (the monitor) and added the two display widths together (3200x1200 overall). This is not the perfect solution, but it works. If the display is not connected, for example the calculation willl cause an error. Maybe I will write a script for calculating and changing these values dynamically.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!