GPIO not possible

• Hello all, I feel that I have never been closer to getting this working after weeks and brickwalls.

Today after some hunting I originally thought I needed a level shifter, but wanted to do more searching before condemning me to inaction waiting for a shipment. I also switched hyperion to run as root, which got me closer I believe. I see the leds changing color now, and are lit. After more searching I figured out how to get debugs to give me better information and came to this.

2021-09-06T16:32:40.729Z [hyperiond LEDDEVICE] (ERROR) Device disabled, device 'ws281x' signals error: 'Failed to open. Error message: Selected GPIO not possible'
    2021-09-06T16:32:48.584Z [hyperiond LEDDEVICE] (ERROR) Device disabled, device 'ws281x' signals error: 'Failed to open. Error message: Selected GPIO not possible'

Could my GPIO be burnt out? Do I need a new RPI? Can I try a different GPIO?

Thanks so much to any and all help!

• there is two things, you need to select the correct GPIO.

in your case its probably or PWM GPIO18 ( PIN 12) or SPI GPIO10 (PIN 19)

no your GPIO is not burned.

Go to led settings and select the correct GPIO.

if you are selecting GPIO18? PWM ws281x? >> Hyperion.NG has a start sequence> do you see it and after this nothing?

> then Hyperion.NG needs to run under root

you don't see anything? you didn't connect the ledstrip in a okay manner and/or led settings is not configured properly.

• Yes, I am connected GPIO18 (PIN 12).

My settings in the menu currently.
    GPIO#: 18

DMA: 10 (it was on 5, I was trying 10 from another threads advise)

PWM: 0 (Ive tried 1 as well)

I am already running as root as far as I am aware (I followed the commands from another thread and no errors came back)

LEDs are on, this is the closest I have been, as when I run an effect I can see changes in color, just not correct changes, its erratic.

I never see the start sequence, just white leds that are constantly changing colors as if they were possessed.

• My settings in the menu currently.
    GPIO#: 18

DMA: 10 (it was on 5, I was trying 10 from another threads advise)

PWM: 0 (Ive tried 1 as well)

Set DMA on 5 again, thats most the time not the problem only maybe when running a Pi3b .

If you are selecting PWM 1 then you need to have the correct GPIO for it when ledstrip is attached on DI

did you have a common ground? GND has to be connected from the Raspi to ledstrip and from ledstrip to PSU

advice to use at least 2 GND PINS on the Raspi, it doesn't matter which ones

if i was you, i try to connect on GPIO10 SPI to test the strip/settings for debug

https://pinout.xyz/pinout/pwm

mouse over the right top links to go to the input you want to explore> :)

• Thank you for that link! Quite informative.

Shit, for some reason I thought since I was powering everything separately a ground is a ground, so pi was already 'grounded' with its own plug, same for pi. Going to do that now. I am excited.

Also, will GPIO10 SPI do the same thing? How would I test? My thinking would have had me aiming towards GPIO13 since it is also PWM?

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von OnlyHuman () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by OnlyHuman into this post.

• Shit, for some reason I thought since I was powering everything separately a ground is a ground, so pi was already 'grounded' with its own plug, same for pi. Going to do that now. I am excited.

chances is this helps a lot already :)

GND connecting is to bring down polarity diffrence betwen devices, every current should be able to flow back to GND.

the trick is that for the current it shouldn't matter which GND it will choose. In this way you get a steady current that behaves :)

Also, will GPIO10 SPI do the same thing? How would I test? My thinking would have had me aiming towards GPIO13 since it is also PWM?

I don't think you have to change the GPIO18, just try the GND connections first.

PWM is PWM so whatever GPIO u use it wouldn't matter, the fact that your strip "talks" telle me something that only some things is not okay, but probably not your strip and after this your settings would be okay

• EUREKA!!!

My problem was that damn barrel connector! I lost that, stripped the PSU wires (with the common GND change I did yesterday), and we are in BUSINESS!!!!

THANK YOU LIGHTING-GUY, you are a Hero today.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von OnlyHuman () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by OnlyHuman into this post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!