Powering ESP8266 from the LED PSU

• Hello,

I am a total newbie, who tries to make things work for a big TV (85 inch). I am planning to use Wago connectors to connect 4 SK6812 strips between each other and to PSU and add ESP8266 with WLED to control them. My question is - can I cut a micro USB cable and connect 5V+ and GND to the LED PSU and plug micro-usb side directly into ESP’s usb port? So I can just use one pin for data? Thanks in advance!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gpkk7887 ()

• Lord-Grey

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • That should work, it doesn't really matter where the 5 V at the ESP USB port come from. But I would rather connect the USB cable to a USB port on the TV and connect 2 pins DATA and GND to the stripes.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• That should work, it doesn't really matter where the 5 V at the ESP USB port come from. But I would rather connect the USB cable to a USB port on the TV and connect 2 pins DATA and GND to the stripes.

regards pclin

Thank you. In Your suggested option, do I need to connect GND from each one of 4 strips? Or only one will be enough to establish common ground? Do I need some thicker wires or simple Duponts will be enough?

• Normally, the stripe pieces are connected through and connected to 5V and GND at least at the beginning and end. If there are more than 300 LEDs, at least once more in the middle.

Data must go through arrow direction > DIN to Dout

Everything must have a common ground.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    -

Ambilight for ever

• You got me thinking if my first plan was ok. Here is a little sketch - https://i.imgur.com/LBAvAIJ.png . Sorry for that mess, I tried my best. Of course there will be another terminal for GND, just like 5V+ wires. There will be about 370 LEDs, my initial plan was to feed power only from beginning of each strip, but according to calculations, in the end of 2.1 m. LED voltage will drop from 5 V to ~4.8 V. Too much.

• You can do that as in the picture, adding a black line for GND to each red line and omitting the last green line in the upper right corner.

370 LEDs are too much for an ESP8266 you need an ESP32.

Link

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!