Cant get ws2812b lights to light up

• Hi

Couple of weeks ago, my setup stopped working. (lights stopped lighting) Here is what that looks like

- raspberry pi 3b running hyperbian 2.0.14

- usb video capture card

- ws2812b lights connected to the rpi using gpio pin 18 (it was setup in hyperion as the rpi wpm ws281x controller) and the ground pin

- both light strip and raspberry are connected to the same 5V-10A 50W power source

- i had enabled root using (sudo updateHyperionUser -u root )

everything was working fine but stopped working around 2 weeks ago. So today i checked it out and couldnt find out why it wasnt working. I decided to do a fresh setup using 2.0.15 of hyperbian. However, i still cannot get the lights to light up. here is what i have tried so far:

- checked voltage on the light strip using a multimeter -> looks good, the stip is getting 5v

- checked the voltage on the gpio 18 pin -> also looks good measuring around 22v

- enabled root on 2.0.15 using the same command as above

I have attached my log but the only error i see is (ERROR) Lock/unlock handler- Session bus is not connected

for which i tried chmod 1777 /run/lock based on lord grey's response in this thread (<ERROR> Lock/unlock handler- Session bus is not connected) -> however that didnt help either

any help would be appreciated. thanks so much

• Hello @wacind

If you are having trouble getting WS2812B LED lights to light up, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check the wiring: Make sure the wiring between the WS2812B lights and your controller is correct. The data line must be connected to the correct pin on the controller and the power and ground must be connected correctly. Double-check your connections to ensure they are secure.
    2. Verify the power supply: Make sure your power supply is providing the correct voltage and amperage for your WS2812B lights. Check the manufacturer's specifications for the required power supply and verify that your supply meets those requirements.
  • According to the log, Hyperion is working normally. Did you change something when it stopped working?

Otherwise it will probably be a hardware problem. Is there a live video, do colors or effects work?

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Thanks pclin and kritishah

yes i have wired the WS2812B led strip to the Ground Pin and GPIO 18 pins similar to this imageWiring WS2812b Addressable LEDs to the Raspbery Pi - The Geek Pub

and then i have wired the raspberry pi microusb to the same power source as the led strip.

Using a multimeter, i checked that at variolus points through the strip, it is receiving 5V of power

and i also checked the voltager on GPIO pin 18 from the raspberry pi which was reading approx 22V.

There are no lights in the strip at all. not even if i do the effects. is there another simple way for me to test out the LED strip? Should i not have the pi and the lights hooked up to the same power source?

Thanks again

• Also not sure if this matters but i noticed this error in the log when restarting it earlier. I dont think it impacts anyting but just thought i would add that to this thread

Code
    2023-04-05T18:26:00.362Z [SMOOTHING|First LED Hardware instance] (DEBUG) (LinearColorSmoothing.cpp:700:selectConfig()) [0] - Type: Linear, Pause: false, Settling time: 150ms, Interval: 40ms (25Hz), delay: 0 frames
    2023-04-05T18:26:00.363Z [HYPERION|First LED Hardware instance] (DEBUG) (BGEffectHandler.h:115:handlePriorityUpdate()) Stop background (color-) effect as it moved out of scope
    2023-04-05T18:26:00.452Z [EFFECTENGINE|First LED Hardware instance] (INFO) Effect [Warm mood blobs] finished
    2023-04-05T18:26:00.595Z [DB] (ERROR) Failed to get records: '*' in table: 'instances' Error: 
    2023-04-05T18:26:00.597Z [MUXER|First LED Hardware instance] (DEBUG) (PriorityMuxer.cpp:359:updatePriorities()) Removed source priority 254
    2023-04-05T18:26:01.418Z [MUXER|First LED Hardware instance] (DEBUG) (PriorityMuxer.cpp:293:setInputImage()) Priority 240 is now inactive
    2023-04-05T18:26:01.418Z [MUXER|First LED Hardware instance] (DEBUG) (PriorityMuxer.cpp:422:updatePriorities()) Set visible priority to 255
  • So I got this working. Turns out the GPIO 18 pin on my raspberry was busted. I switched to GPIO 12 and everything started working again. Thanks all for the help

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!