Grey jumps through RGB , WS2801

• Hi,

first of all my RGB values are : 255 – 120 -50 (Red – Green - Blue) for a good white. I use Open Elec 6.0.3 and the ws2801 LED Strip.

When I set white (with Hypercon, or the app or white picture due the internal grabber) and reduce the brightness to go to grey and then black, every 3th or 4th step is blue or red or green. Because of that it is not possible to watch a film in peace. Gamma corrections in every possible way did not helped.

I tried really everything with every value, since 2 weeks and more than 20 hours. Different Hyperion/Hypercon versions , different Open Elec versions etc.

I think the enormous difference between the RGB Values causes this problem, because if I repeat the white to black steps with 255 255 255 RGB there is no more “jumping” from red to green or blue an vice versa. It reduces till its black, but the white is too blue. Reducing the Color Temperature from Blue has the same effect as the reducing the RGB Value from above.
    So whats the drifference between these two settings ?

Thank you in advance!

• The setting 'temperature' is missleading. This is just a linear mapping of rgb values. E.g if you set blue to 50 it means your incomming blue values with a range of 0-255 will be mapped to 0-50. This reduces the color dynamics to much!
    Setting rgb adjustment values makes just the same (but adjustment has more options to play with)

Do not use rgb correction and temperature together.

If you have such big difference between rgb values then you get problems. Try some values like 255 225 200 and give up the hope to make it perfect. (Or buy better stripes like apa102) cheap ws2801 often report such probs ...

• Hi,
    Thank you! It explains a lot. I calibrated the gamma values with the pictures where all grey stages are in one picture from the tutorials. Now I builded a couple of pictures with Microsoft paint, where every one shows one grey nuance. With this I fixed a lot of my problems because of more accuracy . Currently I am trying to to set the black level to fix the artifacts in dark levels. Next step would be to master the brown colors ,inclusive human skin colors, not to be pure red :) . I will post my way to glory , if I will get everything fine .

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!