Beiträge von Robin Koehler

Thanks Jeroen. I'm running APA102 as well and found the colours to be more accurate with my HDMI USB grabber with gamma at 1.4. Using your default values for vmin/vmax and hmin/hmax of 0.25 and 0.75 doesn't change the response time, it still takes between 3 and 4 seconds. I appreciate you sharing your values but will require the signal detection timer to be shortened on a system level.

Edit: enabling blackbar detection also doesn't make a difference to the processing time and interferes with my setup unfortunately

It currently takes about 3 seconds for the signal detection threshold setting to switch off the LEDs. I would love to shorten the timeframe so that the LEDs turn off in movies when the scene fades to black. Those transitions currently are too short to be picked up by the 3 second interval.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the signal detection duration can be shortened somehow?

I've got the colour accuracy and gamma of the LEDs perfect now, but unfortunately had to boost brightness to the point that black is high enough to create a signal. Backlight is at 0% already.

It gets picked up by signal detection threshold 8%, but it takes too long to kick in to be useful in movies during fade to black cuts.

Running Hyperion NG Alpha 7 on Raspberry Pi 4 with lastest OS

Thank you in advance!

Just as a follow-up: would it be as easy as changing this one line in the ImageResampler.cpp?

Original:

libsrc/utils/ImageResampler.cpp
    51 case VideoMode::VIDEO_3DSBS:
    52 cropRight = width >> 1;
    53 break;
    54 case VideoMode::VIDEO_3DTAB:
    55 cropBottom = width >> 1;
    56 break;

Line 55 changed:

libsrc/utils/ImageResampler.cpp
    51 case VideoMode::VIDEO_3DSBS:
    52 cropRight = width >> 1;
    53 break;
    54 case VideoMode::VIDEO_3DTAB:
    55 cropBottom = height >> 1;
    56 break;

Sorry if this is dumb, I'm a noob with all this. Tried to find the ImageResampler.cpp file to test and change myself, but have been unsuccessful in locating it.

Hi team,

Just installed Hyperion NG today, what an improvement from the old version! Thank you for your great work and for sharing it so generously.

I am running alpha 7 on a Pi4 with UTV007 USB capture.

When selecting the 3DTAB option for over/under 3D input, the output image gets cropped to 25% height (a quarter of the original input) instead of 50% for the full "top" part of the 3D image.

Manually setting a crop bottom value in the 240 range for the 480p input produces the desired result.

Best wishes,

Robin

Hey The! Thanks once again for the input and the detailed instructions. We have liftoff!!! I frankensteined two wires to the black one coming off the USB cable to plug into signal and ground, and the red wire goes to the 5v pin (from memory, will have to confirm again when I'm next to it). Relay switches on, then off for a second, but then stays on permanently until I switch off the TV. Everything working as intended, very very happy with the result.

Will post a wiring diagram later this week, just wanted to express my gratitude and share the positive result :)

Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to Hyperion, however now got a nice setup with APA102 LEDs going thanks to the info and help here in the forum :)

I have searched the last 3 days for a solution to this problem with different search terms without success. Please excuse if this has been answered before, however I could't find it in the FAQ either:

Switching Configurations
    - I have 3 hyperion.config.json files. 1 normal one, 1 for 21:9 and one for 3D content
    - They differ only in the USB grabber cropping values and the startup animation so that I can tell them apart
    - If I upload the config with the different cropping values from HyperCon, the configuration gets applied correctly with the respective cropping values
    - I put all 3 files in "/etc/hyperion"
    - I can switch them with a python script I found here:https://hyperion-project.org/t…-off-toggle-for-kodi.473/
    - I have given all necessary permissions for the script to execute correctly

My script:

Code
    import os
    # kill hyperiond and rename config files
    cmd = "sudo systemctl stop hyperion.service 2>/dev/null; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion stop 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl stop hyperion 2>/dev/null"
    os.system(cmd)
    os.rename("/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json", "/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config3.json")
    os.rename("/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config1.json", "/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json")
    os.rename("/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config2.json", "/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config1.json")
    os.rename("/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config3.json", "/etc/hyperion/hyperion.config2.json")
    cmd = "sudo systemctl start hyperion.service 2>/dev/null ; sudo /etc/init.d/hyperion start 2>/dev/null ; sudo /sbin/initctl start hyperion 2>/dev/null"
    os.system(cmd)

I can invoke the script from command line (sudo python /usr/share/hyperion/effects/Config-Default.py). Hyperion stops, restarts, plays the different startup animation and everything is good to go again.

The problem is that the whole point of switching the configs, having different image cropping from the grabber, doesn't get carried over.

What am I missing for the cropping values to stick?

Second question:
    I added my "Config-Default.json" file in the effects folder so that I can invoke the script from the hyperion remote android app.

It only has these 4 lines in it:

Code
    {
        "name" : "Config Switch",
        "script" : "Config-Default.py"
    }

I can see the effect show up in the remote. However when I execute it, the lights just go out and the service gets stopped, but not restarted. No startup animation is played. Log file:

Why doesn't the service get restarted when the python script gets called by the remote app?

Thanks everyone in advance for your input!

Robin

Hey The! Thanks so much for such a detailed response with schematics and instructions! Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I got tinkering today and hooked it all up. I can somewhat get the relay to respond to the USB being plugged in to the TV. The relay switches when I press the power button on the TV remote, then after 1 second switches off again, then switches on for 3 seconds, then stays off completely. I am not sure what the problem is at this point, my assumption is that the TV USB port doesn't supply constant 5v under these circumstances, or recognises the relay as an unknown device and then "switches off" the USB port.

I had a 5v 2 metre LED strip powered directly from the TV before I changed my setup to ambilight and it worked beautifully. I de-soldered the strip from the USB connector and am using that cable (it conveniently only has a black and red wire). I have also salvaged an old USB phone charger cable with 4 wires, identified the power and ground, hooked that up and got the same frustrating result.

I have ordered another relay and will try again next week once it arrives.

Your info and schematics definitely got me on track and your help is very much appreciated :)

Robin

Hey The! Nice setup, thanks for sharing :) Almost exactly what I was hoping to achieve as well. I was wondering if you or someone else with experience could guide me a bit. Ordered this little guy:
    https://core-electronics.com.a…nel-relay-module-10a.html

My idea was to also use a USB port from the TV, but I want the relay to control the LEDs directly (Pi is always on with separate power supply).

The LEDs have their own 5v 10a power. Can I put the relay after the power supply, before the LEDs? How would I have to wire everything up (USB cable from TV to relay, power supply to relay, relay to LEDs)?

Thanks kindly everyone in advance!

Robin

Hi Akriss!

Quick update: your comment actualy got me back on track, I now have a funcitoning system! I used the tester you suggested in the other thread to confirm the pins on the Pi, that was fine. Now that I knew it's an APA102 strip, I could focus on the wiring instead of the Hyperion config.

I wired up the remaining cut of the 5m strip that I wasn't going to use, and managed to get it to light up after I reconnected power, ground, clock and data to it. I was satisfied knowing that the power supply is ok and that the Pi can actually control it too. I then checked my old wiring again, tightened the screws in the terminal box, re-fastened the power supply wiring and bam! That was all it took.

Lessons learnt:

1) Double check the exact type of LED strip
    2) Test strip prior to mounting to TV ;)
    3) Check wiring if strip won't light up
    4) Confirm Pi pin connections

I've colour calibrated the system tonight and it's gorgeous! Worth the struggle.

Thanks everyone

Hi Akriss,

Ok that helps a lot! Thanks to this I'm starting to understand where some of my confusion is coming from. This is the strip I ordered:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WS…Yh3WeTW9Rg&frcectupt=true

It is actually an APA102 o_O I will try the tool that you suggested in the other thread here https://hyperion-project.org/t…3-le-8-2-2-hyperion.2683/ and post photos tonight.

The real issue here is that I am still learning about the LED types and that all the different names and numbers don't make sense to me yet. I will check my wiring a second time now that I at least know for certain it is an APA102 and will report back later today.

Many thanks,

Robin

Hi TPmodding! Thanks so much for your reply. Like I said, I am relatively new to the topic, and have exhausted the forum search as well as Google before posting here, so I really appreciate you answering my thread :) It's understandable that hearing some basic questions like these can be a bit frustrating if you are already familiar with these projects.

I picked the official tutorial because it seemed relatively easy to follow. WS2801 LEDs were not available on Amazon or eBay in Australia, and I wanted 60 pixels / m, so that limited the options even further unfortunately. The WS2813 were what was sent to me (the eBay listing had a different description), but according to the info I gathered after they arrived, it actually is supported and seems like a great alternative due to the backup data line if a pixel ever fails.

Back on topic though:
    I can post pictures of my wiring later tonight, however understand that CI, DI, Ground and 5V are equivalent to the WS2801 in the tutorial.

I know now that the LEDs won't produce light if they are just plugged into power and that they need to be addressed by the controller.

To the best of my knowledge, using the pin 19 for data and pin 23 for clock should do the trick.

I have also installed the APA102 library and test python script (https://github.com/tinue/apa102-pi). The script runs, however the LEDs are still dark just like with Hyperion. The HyperCon log doesn't show any errors. I have enabled SPI in the Pi config file as well, made sure audio is routed to HDMI, and like I said the strip is powered by an external 5v10a supply on both ends of the strip with black for ground and red for 5v.

What can I do to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks again very much for your help!

Robin

Hi all,

Thank you for providing the project and this great community! Total noob here, I thought I had followed the official tutorial:
    (https://hyperion-project.org/t…mbilight-no-soldering.77/), however accidentally ended up with a set of 4-pin WS2813 LEDs instead (60/m, 184 total).

I can't get the LEDs to light up at all. No boot sequence, no single colours, no white, nothing.

I wired them up as per the diagram in the tutorial:
    https://hyperion-project.org/a…pattern-conn-mod-png.512/

I have the LEDs on GPIO pin 19 and 23 on the Pi as per the picture, ground is on pin 6 and going to external power supply (5V 10A). No arduino. No level shifter.

Raspberry Pi4, latest Raspbian OS. Have everything installed including Hyperion as a service. Can connect to the service via HyperCon.

I have selected the WS281X-SPI, but also tried other configurations. The config file gets sent via SSH correctly.

Where can I start to troubleshoot this? I am completely new to LEDs and have a very basic understanding of electronics. I have not yet seen the LEDs light up yet, so I'm not sure if the strip is malfunctioning.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you kindly in advance,

Robin