Beiträge von Ambientheater77

D34DC3N73R

i am a oldschool guy, i think that we have come far into electronics from 30 years ago untill now.

PSU's thats fabricated now ( the better ones/brands) are way way better than 20/30 years ago, they are all electronic, have safety in them and switch off if it detects mallfunction and/or to high power drainage like shortcutting.

So to be short; no it can't hurt to use the capacitors of course not.

but you can do without is my 2 cents.

i never used capacitors/resistor in my build and it runs flawless for already 1,5 years. ;)

D34DC3N73R

thanks for the input, i know that site ( looked in there before) from beginning with ambilight project.

The resistor data line surge i get, i think its also mostly for 3 -line strips that only have 1 data line. :)

i think also for Raspi you don't need them ( can't hurt if used) because dataline output isn't higher than 3,3 volts.

the capacitor story all comes back to the use of a weak/not steady powersupply and/or not clean and rectified enough.

that said;

-i am not convinced ( yet) about the capacitor

-i am about the resistor, but only if used in a MCU/controller thats not a Raspi.

i think and thats the mainreason why they will repeat that, most people are not experienced in electronics and buy the cheapest stuff from Amazon or AliExpress they can find like powerbricks and such.., if you use that stuff then chance is big you will fry the neopixels strip from them and they dont want that of course. ;)

so ( how i see it) its a precausion to use that capacitor to RULE OUT bad PSU thats on the market.

;)

i 've read a story when only with starting of the (bad quality) PSU spikes in the voltage will occur and possibility is without using the capacitor > can damage your ledstrip.

but thats only when booting up the powersupply.

when powersupply already runs and then ledstrip is powered up nothing can happen i would say... :whistling:

oh, and also don't forget to fuse correctly like davieboy explained in his topic, RE: Protect you Build because this can also mean a way to high current ( unwanted) trough your electronics. ;)

hello folks,

after being here for quite a time i see that people intend to use extra electronics in his/hers Ambilight setup.

my question is why,

don't get me wrong, each to his own. ;)

but....

I never understood why the Ambilight guys think they need a capacitor soldered between the +5volts line and GND on the strip.

the only thing a capacitor does in this typical setup is "buffering" and storing power when its needed, this capacitor used ( in microfarrad) is so tiny that it only works for milli seconds

that is if it even works at all. ( do you know its actually doing something at all, or you can do without?)

in my world/eyes and out of the engineeringfield, if you have a powerfull PSU that delivers a steady/clean rectified AC to DC then the use of extra capacitors isn't necessary

the good quality PSU is more then capable to be "powerdrained" without having a problem in rectifier circuit.

and then the resistor in the dataline before connected to the strip ( mostly 3 line strips)

the resistor in series is only meant to protect the first LED in the strip and only if the strip is powered from one side this has use.

for the rest of it it does absolutely nothing.

i am talking about this>>>

power from both sides ( the ledstrip) is the way to go in that setup,

less electronics is always better then a lot. Why use that capacitor is it really really necessary??

in my eyes, when u need to solder capacitors between the powerlines then something isn't already quite right from the start..

my only two cents. ( or prove me wrong, i might learn something) :D

note; i am not using them no capacitor/resistor

Hi, I just started creating my settings for my tv and I am super lost

what do you want to achieve with your led setup?

i don't get it at all,

A; you want on the same screen > two strips working indepently of eachother but follow same screen? [two diffrent instances/GPIO's]

B; you want on the same screen > two strips working together and data is daisychaned from begin to end. [only one instance/GPIO]

which one or is there a thirth?

thats really cool man, i am not a programmer but i know that there's a program ( that i use myself) to "grab" the desktop of windows and send it trough PROTO port 19445 at Hyperion PROTO server.

Hyperion Screen Capture >> on github >> https://github.com/sabaatworld/HyperionScreenCap/releases

its not the same as sending a "video to it" but i think you can use this also?

maybe for you this is a nice start to translate the coding and use it in someway on Android/Apple?

i can not help you further because i know jack about programming, i am a builder :)

or do they have to have the loop feature?

they will probably work with Hyperion.NG , no this type are not LOOP devices

you can use LOOP capture device if you want but its not obligated

most people use the LOOP capturing because it saves a splitter

Thanks everyone for your help. I just think its the cheap capture card but I'll leave it plugged in from now on.

i have a Nvidia shield TV PRO 2019, mine with CEC and sleepmode does perfect shut off tv and receiver so i had a feeling already it wasn't your shield :)

good you found the problem.

if you want to capture outside the Windows environment with USB capturing then you have to do it different.

It's possible to capturing the desktop/ live feed on the screen(s) on Windows and send it with PROTO buffer protocol to your PI over the network. You need a special capturing program for windows for that, you can download / install and configure correctly.

Then the PI translates that signal into steering of the leds, settings you can see at capture devices

Do you thinks its possible to have a lets say 2 meter long cable like the mentioned one between pi/ powersupply and the leds?

yes i did a test with that myself, you have to use special cable for that and not the AWG standard type.

you need twisted pair like CAT6 type FTP/UTP, thats 4 pairs of diffrent colours.

then you can use

blue pair; GND

orange pair; +5volts

green wire; SPI or PWM

white of green; CLK signal

shield/litze; also GND ( to keep interference out)

my setup is 5 meters away and is no problem

Thx in advance

i have almost the same setup> size decimation at 3/4 and SPI bus baudrate at 1400000 should do it

not the same as the picture > thats a example of maximum baudrate (250 Mhz)

more tips in above link.

goodluck!

if i am not mistaken ( i don't have that option also in Hyperion.NG 2.08 Alpha Windows) then on Windows Hyperion the capturing trough USB was not supported yet.

i have version

Build(HEAD detached at 08909b8a) (Paulchen-Panther-75963ca9/08909b8a-1600115237)

and its not there.

You can do it with platform capturing ( takes a screenshot of the environment desktop) in Windows

As soon as they were cut, the leds stopped working and I've been facepalming since then

:rolleyes:8|8|

you made a shortcut between +5volts and GND,

if you are misfortunate then the PSU and PI will be gone.

it seems like your PSU but can be anything, why o why cut cables when power is attached,

and in first place > that cables you've cut they are meant to provide (extra) power to the strip.

can i use both Instances at the same time?

in theory yes, if you have the ledstrip connected to the PIN the second one has to be connected to another PIN.

i didn't experiment with that myself, but what you can do

whats the kind/type of ledstrip that you have? You have probably two ws2812b strips yes?

the first instance/ledcontroller is PWM ws281x [GPIO 18 [PIN 12

the second you can take SPI controller ws2812 [GPIO 10 [PIN 19

make sure the SPI device0 is activated in config.txt

dtparam=spi=on

then it should work, let us know if this is okay :)