Hyperion Stops Working After No HDMI Signal (HDMI source turned off)

• Hello, everyone. I have had Hyperion installed on my Rpi2 for a few years now. Originally I had WS2801 LEDs installed and everything was working fine for over a year. Then, suddenly, my LEDs stopped working. I played around with the hardware and determined it was an issue with software considering I could light up the LEDs as expected with an Arduino. I re-uploaded a new SD card with the same openelec img and repeated the same configuration steps that I did last time (I made a log of all my steps during the original setup and saved all of my files) and the setup still did not work.

I decided to go all or nothing and ordered a very dense set of WS2812B LEDs, wired them up along with an Arduino nano. I configured the Arduino code and the LEDs behaved as expected. I then used a third SD card and configured everything with the new Hypercon program (which is awesome by the way with all the new features) and had everything up and running without any issues. Unfortunately, after everything was running as expected, I shut down my TV and input source (XBOX) and called it a day. The next time I turned on my TV and XBOX, the LEDs were not lighting up!

I have since uploaded from scratch multiple different versions of openelec, multiple different SD cards, multiple Hypercon configurations and cannot for the life of me get the system to work after I turn off my XBOX and TV!

If I leave my TV and XBOX on, the LEDs output how they should for hours on end. As soon as I turn off my XBOX, and then turn it back on, the LEDs no longer work. The only thing that makes the LEDs output as expected again, is by pulling the plug to the Pi (and LEDs since they are wired together). If I leave the TV on and turn off my XBOX then back on, the LEDs still do not output anything. What can I possibly be doing wrong?!

Thank you in advance for reading this- I really appreciate your time.

• Does anyone know of a workaround? Is there at least a command I can add to reboot the pi every hour or something? I can turn off the boot effects so if the TV is on while this is occurring, I simply won't have LEDs for a few seconds.

• Thanks for you reply penfold,

I've got company over the rest of the week so I don't want wires hanging everywhere while I debug. I don't recall Hyperion crashing but I'll have to double-check early next week and respond with the results.

By log to the console do you simply mean "Show Traffic"/"Get Log" in the Hyperion Config Tool? Likewise, for your question, I'd use Putty to:
    Start Hyperion

Code
    /storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond.sh /storage/.config/hyperion.config.json </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Test Hyperion

Code
    /storage/hyperion/bin/hyperion-remote.sh --effect “Rainbow swirl fast” --duration 3000

Turn off TV and source (Xbox), then I should see some feedback in Putty if anything crashed? Or is there a log file somewhere that I need to view at this point using WinSCP? If so, where would that file be located?

• Okay, so I kept the log open everything worked as expected. I turned the TV off and source (Xbox) off a few times and waited 1-10min in-between and every time I turned the Xbox on, the LEDs acted/worked as expected. I then unplugged the RJ45 going to my pi and repeated the process, only this time I left the TV and Xbox off for 30 min to an hour. At this point I turned the TV and Xbox on and the LEDs were not working as expected.

I then (as I comment in the code) repeated the process again but with the RJ45 plugged in, logging still enabled, and waited for 45 minutes. Turned Xbox back on and LEDs were not functioning as expected.

• This what I get when I try to start Hyperion using Putty:

• I did a fresh install with Openelec 8.0.3 and a fresh download of Hypercon as well as made sure my Java is updated to the latest build. Still same symptoms.

edit- I manually created a folder in /storage/hyperion called "logs" and then ran:
    "/storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond.sh /storage/.config/hyperion.config.json > /storage/hyperion/logs/hyperion.log" and the log file showed up. This is what is in it:

• USB grabber is connected and I have actually have two that I have intermittently swapped out while the same issues are persistent.
    This is connected to the USB port along with an Arduino Nano, and nothing else.

Everything is powered by a 5v 30A supply. This supply splits into two male DC jacks (one which goes to the LEDs and one which goes to the pi).
    A DC female jack is soldered to protoboard which is mounted on top the pi. Here a small capacitor bank is soldered on the protoboard, where ground goes through to the pi ground header pins and 5v goes to the pi 5v header pins. Leaving this protoboard is:
    Small DC male jack cable going to HDMI splitter
    Mini USB cable going to HDMI to RCA adapter
    Micro USB cable going to pi USB power port.

I have used this setup (same protoboard/ daughterboard if you will) for over a year without any issues.

Edit- based on your comment, I'll hook up a beefy, external, 5v power bank with USB A to USB A and plug it into a 3rd USB port on the pi (to act as a USB hub for more power) to see if this makes a difference. I looked at the pi schematic and presumed my current setup wouldn't be an issue.

• TPmodding- I added a USB A cable to the USB ports with external power bank and that did not resolve the issue. I also soldered a 5v wire directly onto to the USB port where the grabber is plugged in and added that line you suggested to the config file. The issue still remains. If I turn off my source (Xbox) and leave it off for about 20 minutes, when I turn the source back on, the LEDs do not turn on.

• No. TPModding actually TeamViewer'ed in and helped me debug for quite a while. We couldn't come to a resolution. I ended up soldering a photoresistor and relay together and put the photoresistor over my TV's power LED. When I turn my TV on, the relay engages, giving power to the pi and LEDs. When I turn the TV off, the relay disengages and everything turns off. I've had this running all week without any issue so I'm just going to keep it as a functioning workaround.

Plus now whenever I turn on my TV I get a sweet color wheel that lights up the room :bigsmile:

• I think I have the same problem or very similar, if I turn off my source (I did not try to see how long to be honest) when i turn it back on the leds do not work, my solution for now is to remove the hdmi cable and power to HDMI2AV before turning on the source and reconnecting everything after the source boot.

Hyperion Configuration:
    Sources --> Av Receiver --> HDMI splitter --> HDMI2AV --> easycap --> raspberry pi B+
    ESP8266 --> 172 x ws2812b LED
    5V10A power supply

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!